FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFruit / Vege gardening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
KrazeeKaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeeKaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 9:53am

Another thing you can do with the cucumber plants is only let have a couple of vines out so it concentrates more on producing cucumbers rather than keep growing everywhere.

Most of my garden is in now, so happy it is finally done, just wating for the seeds to start popping through.

Sponsored Links

Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 12:05pm
our cucumber plant is 35cm high and we have made it have 3 main vines.
at present it has one little cucumber about 12cm long growing on it, and about 5 flowers that will fruit.

edit:

oh and its growing in a pot in the greenhouse with one of those trellis support things.

ours never get tall or wide, maybe 75cm tall and narrower than our full grown tomato plants. but we got about 15 tele cucumbers off it last year.
this year we brought a 'short' cucumber plant.

And we have two courgette plants and have eaten one, and have 6 to remove and eat.

Edited by Mucky_Tiger
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 1:32pm
We finished planing last night & DH job is to water them. Waiting Waiting Waiting
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 2:24pm

Right, cucumber is in.  I have no idea what kind it is - the label just says green cucumber!  It will be interesting to see how successful it is.  I have decided I need to get serious about feeding all these plants so will have to go shopping i think.

I'm also quite keen on the worm farm idea.  Might have to save that one for next year though unless I find something around the house that I can convert.

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 2:51pm
I'm so excited. I have seedlings sprouting up everywhere. My sugarsnap peas are almost ready to transplant into a bigger pot and I'll do that once I get a hold of one. My tomatoes have been taking their time and I put a second batch down just in case lol, but now all 6 of the first batch are up and doing so well, little cuties lol. My brocolli are taking off and I have some experimental corn that are doing quite well.

Bought some lettuce seeds the other day to put into a planter for a nice amount for me to graze on lol, because with my current lettuce plants if I grazed like I want to, they would be denuded in about... 10 seconds lol.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 5:13pm
a 'green cucumber' will be what they call short cucumbers in the supermaket.
the normal fat dark green ones rather than the telegraph ones

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 6:19pm

Oh yay!  Thanks Mucky Tiger.  I also hadn't really thought about providing it with anything to climb over so I think I'll deal with that once the kids are in bed.  Plus give all my plants a very thorough water as it's been a beautiful sunny day here today. 

Does anyone have any celery seeds they want to swap for something else?  Or if in Wgtn, celery seedlings?  That's the one thing I don't have in yet and I love celery!  I had about 6 plants last year and my last two are just about ready to be composted.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 9:20pm

I haven't tried celery from seed yet I buy the plants.

I have peas growing now, so excited when things pop up all the time!!!

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2010 at 8:09am

I haven't tried celery from seed either - and I'm not the most patient of people so I might just head to Bunnings for a punnet.  Given that they are only about $2 I should stop putting it off.

My spring onions are finally coming through.  For some reason mine have never really grown so fingers crossed that these ones keep going.  I'm also getting my first roses (totally off the fruit and vege garden topic I know!) through.  So exciting - I love this time of year.

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2010 at 11:33pm
In a month and a half my raspberry has gone from a few little green specks in the dirt and a dry broken stick to a bush! Almost 40cm wide and a little less than that high!
Yeah, I think it's enjoying it's new possie in the tub on the deck. And probably the regular waterings lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 9:12am

Lisa we had that too with our raspberry, DH was going to pull it out and start again but was told to wait and is so glad he did.

Everything seems to be growing very well at the moment due to the warm damp air we have had over the past fwe days. I have put my watermelon into the ground and it is being covered with a cut bottle over nigth when it is cold. I hacked the bottom leaves off all my tomatoes over the weekend and found tomotoes growing on some plants already!!!

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 6:20pm
I'm going to have to get my seedlings into the ground, the corn has started trying to grow roots through the pebbles that the seedling tray is sitting on and everything else is looking lovely and healthy. Guess that's the plan for the weekend then

Oh, my strawberries are thriving. My neighbour was kind enough to give us a bag of strawberry fertiliser so I'm going to be using that for a little while. All but one are flowering or have little fruit on them already. Goodie goodie!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 9:01pm
A couple of my strawberries are starting to get a nice pink tinge to them.  So exciting!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 11:34am

We have had our first strawberry it wsa so nice and really juicy

ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 7:16pm
I'm so excited- my passionfruit vines are fruiting!! Cant wait till they are ready!

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 7:10pm
That's awesome, I love passionfruit.

Took all my tomato, broccoli and corn seedlings to my mums and planted them all in the vege garden this afternoon. 13 tomato seedlings, 6 broccoli and 4 corn, it's a nice start to the garden if a little late lol.

Fertilised all my strawberries last night. They're all looking lovely and fruitful Flowers and little green berries EVERYWHERE! Better go give them a bit of water before I settle down for the night.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 7:52pm

mmm...I just ate the first of our strawberries.  DS isn't here to have to share it with!  I can't believe how much better they taste!  I only planted 6 plants - next year I think I will have to put in more.

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 12:25pm
Last night while watering them I counted how many berries and flowers my strawberries have and some of the plants have 5 while a few of them have 2 and everywhere in between. Nom nom nom!!! Cant wait for them all to ripen up!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 7:10pm

My garden has just exploded, I have a 10cm cucumber that was found this morning.

I weeded the garden today and forgot that I have a gap in my shirt at the back and now I have a red patch on my back.

We ate our first lettuce today it was very nice.

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 11:38am
I've been slowly grazing at my lettuces. They're those ones with the individual leaves. They make some seriously yummy marmite and lettuce sammies!
Have to find another pot and plant some more.

I've been wanting to plant a cucumber for a while. I love cucumber! Just have to find a pot and a plant now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>