FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour ghost stories...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your ghost stories...
    Posted: 29 October 2010 at 11:54am
In the spirit of halloween, do you have any true ghost stories to share?

I'm not sure I believe in ghosts, but I'm open (and intrigued) to the idea.

One house my Dad lived in when my sister and I were teenagers was a little eerie. I was up late one night in the lounge and I thought I could hear someone breathing - the exhale part. It got progressively louder until I heard a big breath next to my ear. It was so scary, I ran upstairs to wake my Dad and I'm no sook.

My sister was home alone one night and heard footsteps in the upstairs hallway. Fearing a human intruder, she rang the cop neighbour to come and look. No sign of anyone. We never really talked about it until Dad had moved, and everyone had heard odd things.

Sponsored Links

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 3:21pm
eeww scary. I havent got any stories, but Id be interested to hear of anyone elses!

Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 3:27pm
The only sort of contact story I have is that when we first moved into mums house about 15yrs ago I felt a cat brush up against my back, yet our cat was outside at the time. Turns out the lady that lived here before us was really into that sort of thing and held seanaces e.t.c (sp?), we quickly got the house blessed and it has been fine ever since.

I have always been able to tell if a place is good/friendly or not. When I was with my ex he took me to a local glow worm place and as soon as we got there I the feeling that we weren't wanted there and just wanted to leave, didn't even want to look out the car window.
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 3:35pm
In my flat in London there was one bedroom where the person who had that room never slept very well, we couldn't figure out why.
Anyway, my dad was over visiting and my flatmate was away so he slept in his bed. In the middle of the night he woke up to a feeling that someone was stroking his face, thought my other flatmate was coming on to him or something anyway he saw nothing and went back to sleep. Then when he got up in the morning the shoelaces of his shoes had been tied together which he would never had done, again he just thought my flatmate was playing a practical joke on him. He never mentioned either incident to DH or I but did tell my brother when he went home who eventually told me.

When we were moving out of the flat the landlord said to me "so did you have any weird happenings", having forgotten about my dad's incident I said no. He said "well you know the place has a ghost" to which I gave him a sceptical look. Anyway, he said that the little room has a ghost resident that many people have encountered (he lived there before he rented it out) and that they think it is a spirt of a child because it would do playful things like hide things, turn things upside down and.... tie your shoelaces together. He also said that lots of people commented that they would wake up in the night with a feeling that someone was tugging on them or touching their face.......

He did not know about my dad, up until then I had totally forgotten about it. So, I never believed in ghosts but what he described was exactly what dad had said, they'd never met and nobody had spoken with the landlord as I was the one who had contact with him.
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 4:23pm
My Dad is a tiler in Ireland and he was working in a house that was supposedly one of the most haunted houses in Ireland. The owners weren't home during the day when he was working but they were really lovely people and didn't mind that I was there with my Dad on one of the days because it was school holidays. I was reading in the kitchen when I heard some voices in the front room and Dad was outside cutting tiles at the time. I freaked out and bolted outside, my Dad came in with me and we went into the front room and an old radio on the mantelpiece was turned on, it was one of those old ones that you had to turn a dial that 'clicked' on as you turned so it couldn't really have turned on by itself.

My Dad worked in that house for about a week and it happened several more times. One of the other days he was tiling the front hall and smelled cigarette smoke, he had a look around and it was again coming from that front room. Worried that the owners thought he may have smoked in their house (he didn't smoke at all) he mentioned it to them and they weren't in the slightest bit alarmed, they just told him it was the ghost (he had a name but I can't recall what it was).

Apparently the same ghost would move all the pillows on their beds from the top to the ends of the bed.

Now I'm not a believer of ghosts, but I will never forget that!!

KiwiL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 4:32pm
I have multiple! I'll come back here in the dark of the night and relay some of them....
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 4:35pm
OMG clover how creepy!!

eta and Mrs Emma - I was waaaay too slow posting and missed your post completely...

Edited by freckle
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 4:53pm
I should start this story by saying that i don't believe in ghosts at all. And explain that i work in a large hotel and currently live in shared accomodation - and at the time of this story i lived in a block of single rooms w/ ensuite, about 30 rooms in the one building.

So i was walking home, and about 5m ahead of me was a girl - i dawdled back because i was tired and didnt want to make that awkward conversation you have to when you end up walking with someone. Then, just at the entrance to my block she.....vanished!! It was dark, and i'm a total wuss so i bolted right past the doorway, heading for the next block my friend was in. As i paused to open the door the small tree next to the doorway broke in half!! It was a windy night but the tree was sheltered by the L shape of the building, no way it was a wind gust. I fled to the safety of my friends room - he said he has never seen me so white or worked up. Again - i don't believe in ghosts, but i was only 5m behind this girl and she looked SO REAL.

As an aside, the hotel i work for is historic, and we are right in the middle of nowhere (mt cook national park) and we have a couple of local ghosts. After telling people the story of my vanishing girl they casually mentioned a housekeeper killing themselves in that building and that she is seen often!

There is also a man ghost who haunts the bridge (of all places) and the 8th/9th floor of the hotel. Apparently he was a hiking guide here (for the nutters that want to climb Mt Cook) for over 20 years and when he died just never left. Cars are known to stall or have electronic faliure when driving over the bridge - it happened to us once at night, if i wasnt with friends i would have filled my pants.

Some time ago an elderly woman broke her ankle - she awoke in the middle of the night to see a ghost (suspected by staff to be the man mentioned above) in her room, she jumped out of bed and hurt herself.

I am a total sook - but all this sort of stuff gives me the creeps, man.

ETA: a link that talks about the ghost of mt cook Darby

Also, just totally creeped myself out.

Edited by bowie
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 4:56pm
Ive got heaps...

Most recent ones concern my Dad. I haven't "seen" him, and I kinda hope I don't but he sure makes his presence known.

The night after our wedding, I was sleeping in the spare room - which is now Jakes room (hubby was snoring) which was the room mum and dad stayed in when they were here and had stayed in for 3 weeks, right up to the day before Dad died (he died in hospice)
My dad had a really distinctive smell (he was a baker) a kind of cakey sweaty smokey smell (heavy smoker as well) and I could smell him big time htis night, it was quite overwhelming and quite upsetting. The more scared I felt the stronger the smell was, it wasn't comforting, I was petrified I'd open my eyes and there he was! Anyhow I said out loud "Dad you are scaring me, you can stay but I don't want to see you, I am going to turn on the light" and I slept with my blanket over my head and the light on all night, and the smell was still there in the morning. I guess he wanted me to know he had been round for our wedding, which was really nice. We felt him all around on the day (he had only been gone 10 months when we married).
Now he's been gone for nearly 4 years, he's often around, I can smell him when he is, and I get some comfort from it now, but still would freak out if I saw him. Jake used to "play" with Dad when he was little, but hasn't for a while now. I could smell dad then, too. The room often has Dad's smell in it.
Interestingly, dad didn't believe in ghosts/spirits etc or things like that at all.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 5:44pm
I've got a couple, mostly from DH, his Dad passed away 6yrs ago and he likes to play tricks on the family since he passed! The first thing happened to DH on the afternoon of his funeral, he was in the toilet and didn't lock the door but when he went to open the door it was locked, noone could open it so they pulled the lock off (and never put it back on) everyone else was outside and it could only be locked from inside.
Another time when we went down to stay a couple of years ago, the car was parked in the driveway with the doors locked and headlights switched off, keys were inside the house, we went outside the next morning and discovered the headlights were on but the knob was still switched off, as soon as we grabbed the keys the lights went off again.
And finally, on our wedding day we had a 1957 chevy as our wedding car that belongs to a family friend, after the ceremony when we were heading away to have photos the horn started tooting then stayed on, we pulled over and the driver had to unplug it, he didn't start tooting in the first place!! Told S-MIL about it afterwards and the said it was the sort of thing he would do.
Lisa mummy to Ryan
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 6:20pm
Yup, I grew up with my grandparents and my room was my great grandma's room before she died. She died when I was 2; had a heart attack at the bottom of the stairs outside the room. Anyway she used to visit me and say 'This is my room not yours' and I used to run screaming to my grandma about it.

Also when my Uncle died we had HEAPS of weird things happen, a padlock becoming unlocked on our cousins gate out front, the front door and chain opening after a mass for him, my mum had her cheek stroked during the night by 'no one'.
meggls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meggls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 7:00pm
This happened when I was 11 or 12, didn't actually see a ghost, but was equally as freaky!

I was hanging out at a friends place and we were sitting on the end of her bed just talking.. in front of us was a white bookshelf with a few books etc and a lamp right up on top. It wasn't really used so it wasn't plugged in. All of a sudden the lamp goes flying off the top of the shelf into the opposite wall, smashing the bulb before falling on the ground. It gave me a bit of a fright, but I thought maybe my friend had accidentally got the cord wrapped around her foot and made it fall somehow. Then I realised the cord went down behind the bookshelf, (the opposite wall was only a few feet away from the bookshelf, and the plug itself was still stuck between the bookshelf and the wall), so it wouldnt have been able to get tangled up with her foot.   

Anyway, we jumped up on the bed to have a look on top of the bookshelf, we thought maybe it could have been sitting a bit too close to the edge or something and just fallen.. and right there through the middle of the dust we could see 4 long lines, as if somebody had run their fingers all the way through it.

The whole thing was just really creepy. I still get the heebie jeebies just thinking about it now!   
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 7:01pm
nothing scary or bad or even interesting really lol but when i was 14 (living in a rental for 6 months when we moved to NZ) i had a ghost that liked to turn my cd player on and if i had it going while i was studying/homework in my room, it would turn it up if i left the room to do/get something (drink etc) and no-one would be home. used to tell it that i would leave it playing quietly at night for it if it stopped playing with the volume.
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 10:14pm
ok.. some of these are really freaky!! mines not and Im going to try and type this without crying

My Mum died almost 4 years ago, from melanoma, when she was a bit out of it on morphine she would talk about a monkey in the tree. A few days after she had died I was feeding my 5 week old nephew in his room, and he stopped, like was distracted by something on the wall, I looked up and it was a toy, a monkey in a tree.
And I could smell my mums perfume, and I think I just smiled, I wasnt scared, I kinda figured she still be in the house

I nursed mum through the last month, she was really only 'sick' for that long, and over the years we hadnt had the best mother /daughter relationship, so it really helped me heal. I held her as she took her last breath, and slumped into me, and while the family surrounded her, bursting into tears and saying goodbye, I felt the most over wheming feeling , like she had left through me , I cant think of any other way to describe it. It was a nice feeling. At the time to be honest I thought maybe relief, or she was maybe letting me now she felt better at once.

At her funeral I played her a song, 'the universe and I' one line says, and when your alone I will send you a sign.

I hadnt had children then, and infact, 8 months later we concieved Milla, on what would have been my mums 51st birthday. As some of you may know, we almost lost our little girl, she has a serious heart condition. It took me a few months to allow myself to breath out and realise how much I loved her, and oneday alone in my room gazing at my beautiful little baby girl, I felt that same feeling. My mum had left me with a parting gift like no other, the love of a mother.

Edited by Raspberryjam
http://lilypie.com]
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 5:01pm
*hugs* RJ!!

Wow some of these are quite scary!

When my dads dad was sick, my dad asked him to give him a sign that he was ok once he passed away. Im not sure how long after he died this happened but dad said that at night, the light on his old nokia cellphone would come on and off by its self! and dad felt that this was poppa telling him that he was ok

Flossie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flossie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 7:14pm

What an interesting thread!

My Mum and Dad brought a real run down house when I was a baby and an old lady had died there, one night mum woke up and saw the old lady sitting on the end of their bed! Mum said she was not frightened (God only knows why!), After they had done the house up with an extension they never saw her again!

The other night I got freaked out I was up feeding Belle in the lounge and our laptop was on the dinning table, I happened to see it light up and turn on! Then it logged on and opened up something I very quickly finished up feeding Belle and went running in to DH and told him something wss going on with the computer he went and checked apparently it was only doing some update or something! Dumb me!  Freaked me out tho!

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 9:01pm
There is a house around the corner form us where a young island girl committed suicide a couple of years back. Apparently her mum and dad were both dead and she was living with extended family and she missed them so...
Anyhow, the family shifted out abut a year back, quite some time after she died. The landlord got in and did the place up (its pretty ramshackle). Not sure, but I get this awful sad feeling, overwhelming when I walk past (so I cross the road and do't look in) and the tenatns that move in move out very fast after...the latest have been inthe longest, a couple of months so far. I can't help but think she drives them out. So sad.

The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
 Post Reply Post Reply