FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour Experience of Mothers Groups?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
nathansmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathansmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Experience of Mothers Groups?
    Posted: 17 November 2010 at 3:09pm
I'm a relatively new mum and still adjusting to these mothers groups like Playcentre and coffee groups and so on.

Just wondered what other peoples' experience was of them? Do you find some mums to be a bit bitchy and cliquey or is it just my experience? It just seems like a different world and I've had some good and some horrible experiences too that makes me feel like it's high school all over again (I went to a girls school!)

Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 3:23pm
Isnt your child over the age of one? Wouldnt call you a newbie anymore

I think your going to get good and bad experiences in any situation with a bunch of women.

I personally have only had positive experiences, however I now work fulltime so DH takes the kidlets to kidlet things now ... the Mums love having him around ... nice bit of eye candy, so when on the odd occasion I have to take the kids instead of him, the Mums get quite bummed out.

I do however feel that you are going to get on with some women more than others .. thats just a personality thing as opposed to a woman thing in general.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 3:43pm
I find them great.

I love playcentre. All the mums are lovely. Even being one of the youngest im made to feel like it fit in, all the mums there are down to earth and very nice. But i guess i just picked a good Playcentre

Also i go to a mums group off OB. Its great, At first there were a few interesting people. But we now have our close little group and all get on fine
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 3:53pm

I wouldn't be without my coffee group. We have a bunch of like minded women who really get along.

We don't all have the same parenting values but can see past all that. There is definately no competition type stuff with the kids either. I'm really greatful for my group.

tictacjunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tictacjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 4:36pm
I've found mother's groups much the same as the OP, the cattiness & competitiveness drive me crazy tbh, so what I've found works for me has been going to things like Mainly Music & the kiddie things at the library where it's the kids who are the focus, that way I can politely ignore the other mums & just sing/colour-in etc with bubs when the conversation starts to degrade, but still get that all-too-precious adult contact. (& I still feel new to the mum thing too, lol!)
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 5:03pm
I've found some Mother's groups a bit catty, competition like and cliquey, but have usually found a few people I get on well with, stick with them. I've made some great friends through groups though.

I also have just started going to Mainly Music and we have been going to Wriggle & Rhyme at the library since DS was 3-4 months and they are great for doing your own thing and not having to mingle or meeting people if you want to make the effort.

newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 6:33pm
It really depends. I had a coffee group with women mostly from my antenatal class. 4 of them became VERY cliquey...and then the rest of us stopped catching up with them.
It was like everything was a competition with them, about whos kid was reaching milestones first etc.

But my SIL has a great coffee group, with really lovely supportive women.

I think if you meet people at an activity you enjoy doing you might find a group of more like-minded mothers. I found some good friends at La Leche League meetings.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 7:07pm
I love my coffee groups!

I unfortunately never got to meet my antenatal coffee group post baby and would love to meet up with them again but not sure how to contact them!

But I have my OB mums group and we all get on great!

I have my Plunket PIN group and again - they're great! Such a huge mix of women + one of them has 5 kids so very helpful!

And then there is my Space/Playcentre group!

I honestly would be lost without them, while yeah ok we DO talk about babies about 90% of the time it's great to get out of the house, talk to other adults and compare notes/stories about our babies!

I have to be honest, haven't had any negative experiences!

Plus they're all really supportive as some of us are FF, some are BF, some give jarred food, some make their own and only 2 of us do BLW! Some are cloth, some are sposies!
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 7:17pm
My coffee group is a life saver and I have made some wonderful friends. We don't necessarily parent the same way but we still support eachother.

I love Playcentre. At first I found it a bit cliquey but then I am not very good at small talk or making friends and they had all known eachother for a long time. Now that I have got to know them I have found them really lovely and we will not be bossom buddies but I enjoy their company at playcentre and we sometimes get together outside of PC.

I agree with lilfatty, it is a personality thing and you will find some groups better than others. You may just have to try a few groups before you find the one that fits you
Lindsey

Mum_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 7:27pm
I love my OB coffee group and feel that now am getting to be good friends with them, but friendships take time!

My coffee group, well we started off well, but they are quite cliqey and bitchy and thats just not me. So we don't meet up that often anymore and if you try to plan something most can't commit to a date, just seems too much hassle than its worth!

We go to mainly music aswell and they seem like a really great group but since I have a few friends that go already I tend to stick talking to them but the other ladies are all lovely too

Angel baby - May 2008
Jess299 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess299 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 7:36pm
I'm sorry to hear about the negative experiences people are having with their coffee groups since mine has been awesome, we have gotten together every Wednesday since the start of the year and even though there are less mums getting together weekly with half of us being back at work, the effort is always made. We lost one mum quite early one but gained another, so still sitting at ten. It's been a lifesaver for me and so comforting just to know that you are not alone in struggles with baby! I've taken DD to W&R and Mainly Music but always with my coffee group mums.
CarrieMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 9:47pm
My mothers group is fantastic and we still meet up every Thursday but there is only 5 of us meeting up now instead of 10. The rest of the Mums sadly all work Thursdays now.
I've found it a lifesaver as I don't have any family here and I really needed the support.
We all have different parenting styles and values but I enjoy that and think its important to see other points of view.
Some music classes I've been to have been a bit unfriendly but I just focus on my DS and try not to worry about it.

Edited by CarrieMum
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 12:32am
I enjoy our weekly MG. Ours is quite small of only 4 mums but we all parent differently which is cool. Makes for interesting conversation.
Thankfully we dont have any bitchyness, and I dont really get into the 'office politics' kinda crap that can go, its not worth the drama. Im there for Jackson.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 12:27pm
Oh yes, you can definetly get some cattier women at places like that (the ones I know are pretty good tho) but a lot of women also get very ....competitive when it comes to their children ...

HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 3:05pm
I go to a playgroup with DD and she loves it and the mums are lovely. It took me awhile to find one that I liked and felt welcome at. (probably helped I knew one of the mums from school) its also small maybe about 10mums plus kids but we welcome everyone easy as. We just let the kids run free call them in for morning tea and then someone will go off and play with them for abit while the other mums sit back. I love it as the kids just go to any of us no one hesitates to pick up someone elses kid if they are crying and comfort them, or just simply take them and play with them.

I tried coffee group with my AN class and as I was by far the youngest and some of the babies were IVF babies and I wasn't in the same place as them in life I kind of felt out of place so only went a couple of times.

scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 3:36pm
I love my (antenatal) coffee group; yes it might have a taken me a year or so to feel at home with them (I'm shy, obviously we're all from different backgrounds, there was a bit of competitiveness in that first year), but 2.5 years later and I really value our weekly/fortnightly catch ups, I come away feeling so revived ... I think it's because we now know each other's lives outside of our children (so we talk about our kids less than half of the time) yet we are also in the same phase of life (mostly SAHM/working PT), so I can usually relate to them better than friends without kids.

As for playgroup, music group etc, the parents are lovely, but (so far) we really only talk about our kids so it's on a very 'small talk' level, and I haven't formed any real friendships there ... yet (I haven't been going to them for long). Like Hannahbil said, good friendships take time! So I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but keep trying, and give them a good chance!
pickle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 5:53pm
My mothers group rocks - its 6 years old now and out of 12 people at the beginning we have 11 left. Few more births, twins, couple of divorces, 1 gay marriage and more!!! haha. Next year the girls are heading to Fiji for 5 nights no kids no DHs yayayay.

My advice would be stick with it you could end up with a good friend or two, ours at the beginning was sometimes competitve but i think some of that was just that we were reassuring ourselves that we were being good mums

good luck hope it works out for you

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by pickle pickle wrote:

My mothers group rocks - its 6 years old now and out of 12 people at the beginning we have 11 left. Few more births, twins, couple of divorces, 1 gay marriage and more!!!

Sounds like material for a soap opera there!!!

I love our coffee group. Everyone seems really nice, although some are quite different from me... they've got 3-month old babies too and wear makeup, and look pretty... I am in awe of them But we all get on well, and I really enjoy a chance to have some adult conversation.

shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 9:25pm

My Mum's group is the best. There's a few babies DD's age so they love playing together. It's been fantastic having the group and they have saved my sanity over the last year.

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2010 at 9:33pm

Aaaww I love all the coffee/PIN/La Leche groups I go to...I've gone to heaps and those that I don't 'click' with, I just don't go back to lol.

I don't know that I've found many catty women, I've certainly found some competitive Mums and some mothers who I just have nothing in common with, but even then as long as we're accepting of each others values, even that that hasn't seemed to stop friendship developing.

I love my OB coffee group too (although I sometimes don't get there as often as I like), but we're all cool and enjoy each others company now that the er, how did you put it SMS?...more 'interesting' people have left , my La Leche group allows me to explore my hippy side hehe and my PIN group is wonderful- we have one competitive mum but she means well and we all have a good time. Plus there's my ante natel friends and rock n rhyme buddies....all good sorts.

Keep searching till you find your fit and don't be discouraged cos friendship takes time.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>