FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFDA not happy with sharing breastmilk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FDA not happy with sharing breastmilk
    Posted: 01 December 2010 at 10:00pm
Seems there is nothing the FDA don't want to get their nose into. I think it's pretty sad that this is being discouraged rather than encouraged, especially in the US where a study was published saying 1000 lives a year could be saved if women were to breastfeed. (second link to cnn report of study).
My cynical side thinks that some formula company probably had their hand in this.

link to stuff article

Cnn report

Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 10:02am
I totally agree that a formula company is behind this. It is up the individual that gets milk from another lady, to ask if they are on any medication, drugs, alcohol or have any diseases. If we had something in place where I live, then I would donate milk. Even just one pumping session a day is much better than nothing! IMO

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 10:11am
Tbh I would be encouraging using Milk banks too rather than just getting milk from someone you may barely know, or over the internet, you don't know how the milk has been handled etc, stored... At least with a milk bank you will have some reassurance that it has been stored, etc properly.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 11:35am
I think what they say is totally fair. Its safer to get milk from a milk bank rather than just any old person when you don't know them and if they have any nasties or what they get up to as far as alcohol and drugs etc go.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 4:27pm
If they were selling the milk I would have the same concerns but I don't think women who go out their way to pump and give the milk away for free would be alcholics or drugs addicts.

And also I think if the authorities really had concerns about the health of babies they would be helping build up milk banks not saying to use formula instead.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 5:00pm
You don't know that though. Thats just an assumption. People who drink alcohol and take drugs are from all walks of life.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 8:38pm
I agree, if they charge doesn't mean they're trying to pay for a habit they have, a woman may charge for the time it takes to express for example, especially to get a good amount, some people can express quite quickly - others; it takes a little longer!

And it's very true about being from all walks of life, we watched my friends mum - had her own business - just all of a sudden started drinking and drinking and drinking...
Another friend her mum simply had enough and started acting 'young' again.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 10:03am
Its not even just those who have a problem. One person might feel completely fine about having a glass or two of wine at dinner and then feeding. Others could think thats completely and utterly wrong and be very anti it. Thats why I think what they have said is very fair. Its much safer using a service that screens the milk rather than just meeting people for milk via facebook etc
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 11:46am
Yep via a milk bank would be preferred but they hardly have enough to serve premmies let alone everyone else. I would think if you were gonna get donated milk you would have a good chat to the person first though and ask about drinking and so on, most people are pretty good judges of character.

The women doing this don't have the choice between milk bank and random milk donor, they have the choice between formula and random milk donor and I think that instead of the authorities finding ways to help and make it safer, i.e extra funding so they can use milk banks or some other type of screening, maybe screening the women that donate or something would be preferable to just saying don't do it, especially when breastfeeding is best and their own paeds are saying that it could save 1000 lives a year.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 3:46pm
That's a good point, Keb, hadn't even thought of that! I haven't had any alcohol whilst BFing - mainly because I am unsure of how much is too much and if I'd need to express next feed and have one ready to go etc, (plus my pump is broken anyway!) but I know other mums who have a glass of wine with dinner and whilst baby sleeps over night they don't express. And others who don't bother expressing at all.
TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 1:58am
Just out of interest (and probably a really dumb question ) but ARE there any milk banks in NZ?

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 8:56am
http://www.mothersmilk.org.nz/index.html

My understanding is they only have enough to serve premmies and not beyond that (probably not even enough for all the premmies).

I've read stories though of mw's in NZ teeing up donating between their clients or mums using friends milk.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 1:11pm
sorry i havent read it all but why do you assume a formula company is behind it?maybe they just mean what they say? i never understand why it is assumed that there are ulterior motives from formula places.. :( formula isn't evil!!:( (I don't want to debate it I just don't understand why people assume that?

but i guess that is also coloured by my opinion i have no problem giving formula to my children and no interest in using or giving to a milk bank..
Mum to two amazing boys!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 3:46pm
The reason I think they are likely behind it is because they are the ones who lose out financial from this. The US isn't like here, formula companies still actively advertise for all ages and give out samples in the hospitals, US rates for breastfeeding are dismal.
I'm not anti formula, I just think it should be the last option and I think women that don't want to go that route but can't breastfeed themselves should have more options open to them, it's fine if you can't/dont' want to breastfeed and are happy to give formula but what about those women that would rather not?

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 4:10pm
Personally I'd say its bollocks that formula companies would be behind it. Given the bad rates of BF in the US women sharing breast milk is hardly going to affect them.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 4:55pm
I think it's just a matter of trying to get women to actually think about who they are getting milk off/from rather than getting so desperate and getting it from any Tom/Dick/Harry iygwim... I don't think a formula company would be behind it, although yes they may lose out financially but already with the lack of advertising they get really... I mean even if you choose to FF from the start - you get pretty much no info!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 7:51am
Yes in this country that is true lil_nic9 but in the us they still give out samples in the hospitals to new mums and have no advertising restrictions.

I would think they have thought pretty hard about what they are doing before they go the donor route, after all going to the supermarket and buying a tin of formula would be far easier for them.

The FDA is extremely corrupt that's why I wouldn't be surprised if they were paid to say it, and lets not forgot the first article I linked to was stuff so this 'advice' didn't just stay within the US it's most likely gone around the world, how many women would have glimpsed at that and been put of from ever using or donating milk? That is very sad, in my opinion.

MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 1:41pm
check this site out : eats on feets FB page
kathamill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathamill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Lil_Nic9 Lil_Nic9 wrote:

I haven't had any alcohol whilst BFing - mainly because I am unsure of how much is too much and if I'd need to express next feed and have one ready to go etc, ... but I know other mums who have a glass of wine with dinner and whilst baby sleeps over night they don't express. And others who don't bother expressing at all.

just a wee aside,how i understand it is that the alcohol stays in your milk like it does your bloodstream. so once it is out of your bloodstream, it will be out of your breastmilk. Therefore if you drink, and you are not planning on BF within the time it would normally take to be completely sober again, then you don't need to pump. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
 Post Reply Post Reply