FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe Many Uses of Baking Soda

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Many Uses of Baking Soda
    Posted: 09 December 2010 at 6:59pm
Ok, I know this stuff is awesome as a cheap cleaner. What are your 'recipes' for it?
I make a thick paste with white vinegar and use it to clean my bath, it comes up a treat
Sponsored Links

xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 7:14pm
You can put 1 cup of water and couple TBSP of baking soda in a bowl in the microwave for 3 mins, then take it out and wipe microwave clean. Easy!

You can use it as a facial cleanser/scrub by wetting your face, then using a teaspoon, rub into skin, then wash off with water.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2010 at 8:54pm
1c baking soda, 1c borax and 1c washing soda is a great washing powder mix, cheap and uses only 2 dessertspoons per load so last ages
I leave out the borax out of the mix for the boys clothes
Lindsey

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 1:22pm
i use it to wash my hair and i put it in the kids baths for itches and hair washing too. i put it in the washing machine for smelly stuff. leave it on pots that i have burnt with a bit of water.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 2:13pm
You can use it to brush your teeth with

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 3:20pm
Just browse through babes blog. She has loads of recipes and uses for it... http://simplehomekeeping.blogspot.com
sarasal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarasal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2011 at 7:13pm
I use it to wash my hair too. I have quite curly hair that tends to frizz and tangle and the baking soda works SO much better than shampoo and conditioner. 1 Tbsp dissolved in one cup of water. Then you can rinse with 1 Tbsp of vinegar in one cup of water if you want your hair really smooth.
lillibit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillibit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 10:49am
I found it helps take food colouring off your hands a treat!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Aethalia Aethalia wrote:

You can use it to brush your teeth with

And if you don't like the taste you can add mint or similar to it.
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 12:39pm
If you put a small piece of tinfoil in the bottom of a mug, pour boiling water over it, pop your dirty silver jewellry/whatever in there, and tip baking soda on it- the dirt fizzes away! no rubbing! no chemicals! just a chemical reaction.
For larger scale items, use a bucket and bigger piece of tinfoil etc.
CrazyCass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2011 at 9:26am
to get smells out of carpet sprinkle with baking soda - lightly rub with a dry brush, leave for a couple of hours, then vac off - will also lighten stains that are there as well!

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by KitKat KitKat wrote:

If you put a small piece of tinfoil in the bottom of a mug, pour boiling water over it, pop your dirty silver jewellry/whatever in there, and tip baking soda on it- the dirt fizzes away! no rubbing! no chemicals! just a chemical reaction.
For larger scale items, use a bucket and bigger piece of tinfoil etc.

Yes, we always used to clean trophies this way. SO much easier than the stuff you put on and have to rub like crazy to get off (I tended to find we used to need to use a touch of that on stubborn spots, but most of it just comes off in the bucket)

Post Reply Post Reply