FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVENT: Food & petrol prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VENT: Food & petrol prices
    Posted: 18 March 2011 at 1:47pm
Really need a vent... just filled up my car and it's $90! When I bought it 2 years ago, it cost $60 max to fill. Great, now I feel guilty using the car. Also, went to the supermarket, everything that we need to buy has increased in price. DS loves bananas, probably has a couple of large ones per day, but at $2.50 per kg, I found myself thinking that we can't have him eating so many anymore, which is awful! Providing our family with healthy food is our priority but at these prices we will be very stretched.

No savings for us, all our income will be chewed up by essential living expenses. Poor DH works so hard and he never sees any money.

These price increases are really freaking me out now.
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2011 at 3:17pm
Fruit will be cheaper in a fruit and veg shop than in a supermarket.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2011 at 3:40pm
i hate buying bananas at the supermarket - they are usually a minimum of a $1 more expensive than the fruit and veg. rising prices are just a fact of life now.

I never pay full price for my gas. i either use the pak n save fuel voucher or go to the local gull and use their discounted pump. i think i paid $2.10 a couple of days ago.

a couple of weeks ago i went into New World and they didnt even have any canned fuit salad for under $2. i know i can get it cheaper so i just refused to buy it at that price.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2011 at 7:02pm
I have started doing the fruit/vege shop at pns. I can not be bothered going to the vege shop any more, unless I am near it. I do buy big when it comes to fruit & veg. I buy what I have to but check out specials. I stock up on meat when on special.

I have stopped using the car so DH just runs his to work & I walk to kindy/school so 12-15kms a day, we save heaps on gas. DH uses it to work which is about 10 mins in car. I use it to shop with once a week so saving there by not going to the shops so often, & we go out in the weekends, sometimes walk to the parks.

So I think what I save by cutting my shopping trips down & not running an extra car helps me do all my shopping at pns. The fruit maybe a bit more expensive but I am not driving an extra few kms to the veg shop.

However I don't agree with GST on food especially fruit & veg & think if they axed that of drop it down people would be able to eat better.
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2011 at 2:28pm
I hear you. I have had to alter my budget for food shopping by $30 this year and petrol is costing $45 more for a full tank than it cost me last year- $145 for a full tank and my husband needs a full tank each week to get to work (public transport not an option as he works far away). We don't have a second car and couldn't afford to run a second one anyway. It is really depressing me as Ive had to alter our budget and now between the rise in petrol and food and DS having a milk intolerance and reflux, he needs special formula and medication, we hardly have any spare money left anymore. I feel for DH also as he works so hard and never gets any money for himself.

I dont understand why the government dont step in and do something, I keep thinking if we struggle to make ends meet with DH on a reasonable wage and me doing some casual work here and there, how do people manage to even eat with less income than we have? It really concerns me as it keeps going up, will it get to a point where we can't afford things anymore?

We are trying the fruit and veg and butcher shop this week, will see if it makes a difference.
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
pudgy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pudgy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2011 at 8:05pm
The increases are insane. We stil have the same budget but it buys far less than this time last year.

The vege shops really are much cheaper ( and usually ahve better quality vege) than the supermarket.

Are you able to limit the amount you use your car ?
Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2011 at 9:16pm
I'll need to find a good vege shop near us or even look at having a vege garden.

I watched Campbell Live earlier and there was a woman on trying to lose weight. She has cut all junk food out of her diet and her food bill is now 3 times more. She said that there was no way she could afford to give her family the recommended 5 fruit and vege per day. She worked out that she could get 12 big packets of chippies for the price of 12 apples or something insane like that. It costs her $20-$25 for chicken breasts for her family of 5 plus the cost of some vege, when she could feed them at the fish and chip shop for $13. They also talked about coke and other crappy drinks being cheaper than milk.
Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2011 at 9:22pm
DH's commute to work is 100km. Unfortunately when we bought this house we didn't factor in petrol prices increasing. I worked out that in a fortnight he has to work two full days to pay for his petrol. How terrible is that! We have our house on the market so we can move closer to his work. Until the house sells, I'm trying not to use my car much at all. It's a hard one though, I definitely need a car for my sanity mainly and because you pay so much in registrations and warrants, it's annoying to have it just sitting there a lot of the time.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 1:33pm
Can he take the train?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 2:51pm
I don't buy from a supermarket if I can avoid it but in saying that you do have to be careful at the markets and do your homework as some are cheeky and charge the same or more than the supermarket!

Re the car and petrol - I try to take public transport where I can but it definitely makes you think twice about going out and only going if you need to in the car etc. But I feel that if you choose to have a car that these are just expenses that come with it - sorta like it or lump it.
Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 2:52pm
unfortunately public transport doesn't work for DH because he's a shift worker and there's no public transport available for the time that he needs to start and finish work. Even if he could use public transport occasionally when he does a day shift, it would mean 4 hours travelling each day, instead of 1.5-2 hours in a car. He does try and car pool with a guy from work but they never seem to get the same shifts.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 5:03pm
Wow that is a long way to work! Can you shift closer to his work?
Kel

Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 7:35pm
We are hoping to move closer ASAP. Just waiting for the house to sell, it's been on the market for nearly 2 months with not a lot of interest.

It will be nice to have DH for an extra 2 hours a day.
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 1:04pm
Yeah its hard, my DH works ages away but when he got the job, he had a company car so it didnt matter, now they changed his role and he doesn't so we have to pay the petrol. Sucks as he never would have taken the job in the first place without the car. Public transport would take 2 busses and a train to get to work, and a fair few hrs. He likes his job so doesn't want to change but if petrol keeps going up he'll have to.

Sucks aye. How is anyone ever supposed to get ahead.
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 1:59pm
wiggly_jiggly, that's a shame that your DH doesn't have the company car anymore. I bet a lot of organisations aren't including a car in the rem package anymore.

I realised today that we spend more on petrol than on food. Awful really. My car is parked up for a while because we just can't afford to run it. Depressing being housebound though.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 5:23pm
Cross fingers it would sell soon Sez26, especially to have DH around more.

We spend more on petrol too than food.
Kel

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 5:49pm
God I'm thankful we spend really quite little on petrol by comparison. I get $50 of diesel a fortnight.

I'm doing a food shopping challenge for the next fortnight of only spending $50 a week and in that I have to get formula and nappies. I realised I can make quite a lot with what we already have in our pantry.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2011 at 9:12pm
Ohh I could do that now, instead of my formula being half of that Stacey :)

I'm keen to do the 21 challenge but need to confiscate Dh's eftpos card.
Kel

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2011 at 6:45am
Mine basically works out to be $21 when I take formula and nappies out of it
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2011 at 9:05pm
$50 thats crazy - we struggle to get down to 200!

My petrol cost 120 this week .... very scary to think its that far over 100 now!!!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>