FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAMAZING DESSERT PLEASE HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMAZING DESSERT PLEASE HELP!!!
    Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:18am
Hi ladies,
We are doing a progressive dinner and our house is the dessert.... I am looking for something to wow the guests

Please help!
3 little Angels July 10, May 11, Apr 13
Sponsored Links

JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 12:06pm
I don't know if this is the "WOW" you are looking for, but I saw it on the stuff website a while back and thought it looked pretty neat. Its a pavalova roll.. Another one that I often make is not flash, but always popular and thats ambrosia (sp?) which is cream yoghurt mixed with chunks of banana, chopped moro bar etc

Recipes
Don't despair if you can't make a pavlova! This 'pavlova roll' is not only quicker (cooking in about 10 minutes) but looks really interesting and impressive.
Another bonus is that from the start of mixing to getting it on the plate, the whole process really only take about an hour - the longest step is waiting for the roll to cool (usually 15-20 minutes) before filling and rolling it up.
Alison's Pavlova Roll
For about 6 servings:
4 large egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
about 1 cup cream
about 2 cups strawberries and/ or other berries
Heat oven to 180C (or 170C fanbake) with oven rack just below the middle. Line a sponge roll tin (about 33x23cm) with a Teflon liner or with baking paper.
Separate the eggs, putting the whites into the (fat free) bowl of an electric beater. Add the salt, sugar and vanilla and beat everything together at high speed until the mixture is stiff, and the peaks of meringue stand upright, with only a small tip turning over when the beater is lifted from them (this should take about 10 minutes). Spread the mixture evenly over the lined sponge roll tin.
Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the surface is a light golden brown, the centre feels firm, and the mixture has puffed up. Take care not to overcook, since overcooked rolls shrink excessively.
Take from the oven, and turn upside down onto a sheet of baking paper or another liner which has been wiped over very lightly with soft butter, then sprinkled with caster sugar. Lift away the paper or liner which was on the bottom of the baking tin.
While the meringue cools, whip the chilled cream. When the meringue is cool, spread most of the upper surface (the inside of the roll) with half the stiffly whipped, cold cream leaving a 5cm strip at one edge uncovered (this will be the join). We usually to roll the meringue up, starting from a short side, forming a short, fat roll, but you can make a long thin roll if this suits you better. Cover the cream with sliced strawberries and/or other fruit, then roll up, using the paper/Teflon under the cake to help you.
Place the roll, join down, on a rectangular plate or board. Spread the remaining cream over the top, then decorate with strawberries and/or other fruit. To serve, cut slices with a thin, sharp or serrated knife.
Ad Feedback
Notes: This mixture should not be overcooked. Since ovens vary, be prepared to experiment, using shorter times if cooked mixture shrinks excessively.

monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 12:25pm
oh thanks!! I remember seeing the pavlova role actually...that could be an option
3 little Angels July 10, May 11, Apr 13
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 1:54pm
Chocolate brownie with whipped cream and berry sauce....can be warm or cold and easy to prepare in advance
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 2:08pm
I made the best hazelnut chocolate brownie on Monday, it was to die for!! If you go with the above I can give you the recipe.

Otherwise I made a really yummy Tiramisu Cake last week if you're interested I can give you that recipe. It looks pretty awesome too

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't write them up but can do on the laptop tonight if you want either recipe.

Edited by MrsEmma

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 2:18pm
those last two suggestions sound good.

ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 5:57pm
OOOH I want both recipes please MrsEmma! Hazelnut brownie sounds divine :)

Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 6:55pm
ThisTiramisu recipe is really good, and really easy. DH has made it for our dinner parties a lot...
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 9:16pm
ereynolds no worries, the brownie is SO good the only problem is that it doesn't last long enough in our house!

I will type them up tomorrow for you (sorry, ran out of time tonight!)

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2011 at 3:41pm
Annabel Langbeins Strawberry Cloud cake is relly impressive. I make it lots and get soo many comments on it...the bonus being that its cheap and easy too.

Post Reply Post Reply