FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBeans in slow cooker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beans in slow cooker
    Posted: 15 June 2011 at 8:44am

Hi all

I haven't cooked canned beans in the slow cooker before but seem to remember that you need to do something special with them first???  I want to try a new recipe with canned kidney beans and black beans in the slow cooker today - can I just rinse and chuck them in or do I need to do a degree of pre cooking?

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

mothermercury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothermercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 11:11pm
I'm pretty sure kidney beans have a nasty toxin in them, and a google search recommends boiling them for ten minutes before slow cooking. However, this seems to be for raw, dry beans, and I'm pretty sure the ones in the tin are not raw and have already been well-heated in the canning process. So you should be fine just putting those ones in!
chelledania View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelledania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 10:17pm
canned beans should be fine, give them a rinse and youre good to go (they have already been cooked and toxins removed)

Its the dried type you need to be careful with, rinse in cold water then boil for ten minutes then soak in fresh water over night. Then boil to complete cooking.

in a slow cooker beans WONT usually cook fully if you put them in dry and dont add salt to the water when boiling them because it stops the beans from rehyrating. (it will take ages)
 Post Reply Post Reply