FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChristmas crafts and gifts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas crafts and gifts
    Posted: 15 September 2011 at 2:36pm
Is anyone making Christmas presents this year? I'm quite keen to make the odd thing for friends so am looking for ideas.
Sponsored Links

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 8:33pm
Would that be sewing etc or cooking? or anything?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 10:11pm
anything really. I wondered about putting together a couple of little themed boxes - like a hot chocolate mix with spoons and mugs and biscotti - but so far that is about the best idea I've come up with.
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 8:32am
I loved getting home made gifts from people, its from the heart. I found the Annabel Lanbgein cookbook really good for goodies to give to foodies that last in the fridge etc. I thought it would be a great idea to make the gift then give it in a nice jar with specially made up personalised label and a recipe or two to use it with. She does a great lemon curd with several easy recipes to use it with, I always make up her caramalised onions and keep it in the fridge (lasts ages) use it in an onion and feta tart, so easy to make. Or great as pizza topping, burgers etc. Another nice thing is preserved lemons, which sometimes people get but have no idea how to use, but if they have the recipes to go with it they will try it. Let me know what you think so far, I can get you the recipes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 9:59am
That is so nice to hear - I love the idea of making presents but then worry that people will feel short changed!

I'd love the caramelised onion recipe please. I have one for lemon curd - so might use that idea too. And the thought of giving them with a couple of recipes is brilliant!
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 4:01pm
I saw these & thought they were great ideas

DIY: Ice cream sundae kit

& photo folding blocks
UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 12:27pm
Gread thread idea

Millemama I would love to see both the caremelised onion and the lemon curd recipes sounds fab. Good idea to give recipes with them too :)

I was thinking of doing these

http://www.bakerella.com/mix-things-up/

for my teenage niece and nephews. But I don't have any glass jars big enough, there are some at the warehouse but think they were about $4-5 so the DIY ice cream kit might be a better only.

Photofolding block looks amazing - looks quite technical for my fuzzy brain through!
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 2:41pm
Hi guys, sorry its a slow process sometimes with a 3yr old joined to your hip and 6mths PG, lol. Will post them one at a time as I find them online. Here is the caramalised onions. I found that normal onions are just great in this recipe too and I never needed nearly as much water as is in the recipe.

http://recipefinder.msn.co.nz/recipes/annabellangbein/8108578/annabels-caramelised-onions

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 3:03pm
Found this one for the Caramalised Onion and Feta Tart, which I have made numerous times as a quick standby, for morning tea, even as a dish to take to a BBQ. Its a standby one cos I always have onions in the fridge, they can literally last for months in my fridge, but rarely do. And I also make bulk pastry and freeze it in batches too.

http://apotofteaandabiscuit.blogspot.com/2011/06/caramelised-onion-and-feta-cheese-tart.html

UpsyDaisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UpsyDaisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 5:06pm

Making caralmalised onions now Millemama when I read the recipe I thought that will go nice with our steak for tea :) using half red and white then discovered only a little balsalmic left so added a splash of malt vinegar hope it works out.

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 5:45pm
yeah, I think I cheated with that once, balsamic is just a little sweeter really, so maybe add bit more brown sugar to taste.

Mama_Tasj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama_Tasj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 10:23pm
On this note, has anyone got any little post-able size Thankyou Gift ideas for people who have given presents for baby?
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 10:30pm
Maybe a photo of baby in a magnet frame. Or make your own frame and glue magnets on back for the fridge. People get a kick out of homemade cards etc, much more personalised than bought ones.

deborahruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deborahruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2011 at 9:58am
I am making Christmas stockings for my niece and nephew and filling them with little things eg. $2 shop items and some lollies. They are pretty easy - here is the link to the free pattern.

Am making slippers for my sister and flatmate - free pattern.

And for my sister-in-law I am going to buy a gingerbread man cookie cutter and attach to a recipe and ingredients in a jar, with a hand made gingerbread man Christmas decoration attached. Ornament ideas

Or if you want to do some DIY home decorating - ideas
Flutterby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flutterby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2011 at 11:54am
I'm going to make a mobile for my dad and step mother. I am going to use a piece of driftwood then hang shells off it and maybe add some beads and other interesting things onto it.
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2011 at 11:59am
I really love those sites Deborah, especially the stocking one, which I was intending to make, it seems idiot proof. Like that!

deborahruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deborahruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:31am
Mobiles are easy too - so many different things you can do - but be careful they can get expensive.

ideas here

I made one for my son out of fabric scraps left over from his quilt, felt, and feathers. (sorry picture won't load)
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 6:05pm
Have found that Annabel lemon curd recipe:

Annabel's Lemon Curd

1 1/2 cups caster sugar
220g butter, diced
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 1/4 cups lemon juice (about 6 juicy lemons),strained
6 large eggs

place the sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice in a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl, or in a double boiler. Heat over medium heat till butter melted.
Whisk the eggs in a seperate bowl and stir them into the butter mixture. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 3-5 mins. Make sure the mixture doesn't boil. It's ready when the lemon curd holds a line when you run your finger across the back of the coated spoon.
Remove from the heat immediately, stirring a little to stop it from overheating on the base. Don't worry if it seems a little runny , it will thicken as it cools. Pour the hot mixture through a strainer into a jug to remove any lemon zest or flecks of egg white, then pour it into hot sterilized jars(about 4) and seal. Will keep for several weeks in fridge.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 8:05pm
these are all such great ideas. Now I'm going to start having trouble choosing which ones to try!! Yay!
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:04pm
I can't believe how many great craft sites there are out there, had no idea. I've picked up heaps from this thread alone. thanks everyone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>