FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat’s your favourite cheap and easy meal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s your favourite cheap and easy meal
    Posted: 02 January 2012 at 8:20pm
I need some inspiration I think so I'd love to know what others think of as their easiest and cheapest meal.

Mine is a really easy soup that is basically just canned tomatoes, canned corn and canned chilli beans with a bit of grated cheese on top. It's what I often end up making if I have no time, am too tired and don't have anyone else to worry about for dinner.
Sponsored Links

Stoked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 10:57pm
Smoked Fish Pie made with canned fillets of smoked fish, a white sauce, veges chucked in then topped with a mash. (Normally spud). Quick to make and everyone eats it, I reckon it feeds a family of 4 for about $6.
Bexee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bexee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 6:32pm
An adaption of Jamie Oliver's basic spaghetti recipe - chopped basil, garlic and chilli sauteed, tin of tomatoes chucked in, tin of tuna chucked in and some boiled spaghetti all mixed together with some grated cheese on top
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 8:15pm
All my meals are cheap probably because they are vego. And I don't do difficult because I simply hate cooking hahaha

Nutty rice salad - rice cooker some rice. Cook a bunch of vege. Sauce is 3 dessert spoons of sweet fruit chutney, 2 of lemon juice and a bit of soy sauce. And I add cashews if I have them.

Fritatta is always easy. Just eggs, milk and whatever vege added to it

Peanut satay stirfry. Just a pack of singapore noodles, a bunch of vege stirfried and the healthy food guide satay sauce recipe which takes all of about 2 mins to make.

Teriaki stir fry is much the same but I'm lazy and buy the watties sauce for it. It's about $2.80 I think.

Cous cous salads have to be one of the most easy and cheap meal.

My lazy meal is packet cheesey pasta. Side salad and for the boys sausages.

All those meals probably cost around the $5-6 mark. I buy lots of frozen vege when its on special which bulks it out and buy vege in season.
lsttcdiver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsttcdiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 4:24pm
Vegetable curry is my go to make loads for no money meal. I sually make it when I'm cleaning out the fridge!
Use whatever veggies you have (onions, potatoe, kumara, carrots, leeks, beans, cabbage..anything they soon add up) and cook them off with come curry powder (very cost effective), I either add water or a can of chopped tomatoes for the liquid and a can of beans or lentils (or dryed if you were organised and soaked them, would make it cheaper) towards the end for protien.
Chop in any herb from the garden, mint, parsley or basil-mint and serve on rice or in a bowl with bread on the side.

Can be tarted up if you like with coconut milk or yoghurt but I find this feeds 6-8 people easily, perfect to freeze too.

Love this post cant wait to see some other recipes
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 9:11am
develled sausages & mash potato :)

its a magi cook in the pot packet yery yummy

its a big hit in our family, and also can be made with polonies for the littlies, i tried it one day as ran out of sausages and DS loved it

or toad in the hole (sausages in batter), mashed spud, mixed veg & gravy

yum Lsttcdiver now i want vegetable curry!

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
 Post Reply Post Reply