FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBlackout Curtains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Keleho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keleho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blackout Curtains
    Posted: 30 January 2012 at 8:34am
DD is a quite slow to settle at night and Im wondering if it may be too light in her room. No matter how early we start her bedtime routine, she always falls asleep as its getting dusky outside - about 830-9pm. She generally goes to bed at 8pm but we have been trying to gradually pull it back with no luck, she will always fall asleep at the later time.

If you have used blackout curtains for a similar situation, has it made a difference??
We dont own our house and she has a lot of windows in her room so I wouldnt likely get 'proper' blackout curtains due to the cost - what has worked for you? Was thinking maybe towels or blankets attached to the back somehow but not sure how well that would work....

Any advice welcome
Sponsored Links

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 9:55am
We rent our house. What we did was measure the windows and then buy the curtain material from Spotlight. We then used double sided sticky velcro to stick the material up around the window pane. Works a treat!

When travelling we have used big blankets to darken the room, this worked too just a bit more awkward to set up each evening.
squoggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squoggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 6:55pm
we just bought some block-out blinds for our 19mo, she had the same problem. Briscoes have them on sale for 60% off at the mo I think, they are a really nice neutral cream colour but work really well to make it a lot darker (I was a bit apprehensive until I saw them in action)

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 7:19pm
I do have blackout curtains for my DD (from Harvey Furnishings) but I found that she still needed something more to block out the light. I brought a large sheet of polysitrine and I just prop it between the window and the curtain at night and take it down during the day. It makes a big difference to cutting down the light in her room.
AbzandH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbzandH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 8:23am
We did the same here as squoggs, it's really made a difference, plus it really helps to keep the heat out later in the day and the heat in in winter. Well worth the price (especially with 60% off) plus you would be able to take them with you :)
SamanthaK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamanthaK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 2:05am
I am not a curtain person so I went for blackout roller blinds for my children's rooms. I was lucky enough to find them in cordless design, which is believed to be 100% safe for use inside homes with children as i found out after some serious research and came across http://laair.org/cordless-blinds.html
CarrieMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 8:33pm
We use the GRO ANYWHERE BLACKOUT BLIND which is great as it suckers on to the window and adjusts to any window size. We also take it on holiday.
LILI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:55pm
I'd like to suggetst the blackout paper blinds.They can block out 99% light and is the cheapest we can find.
 Post Reply Post Reply