FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwhite wine for cooking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Casablanca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casablanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: white wine for cooking
    Posted: 27 March 2012 at 8:52pm
I use white wine for cooking risotto's, stews etc. I have always used white wine leftover after the weekend (I find it a bit expensive to open a new bottle of wine just for cooking). Anyway now I am pregnant I am no longer drinking wine so there is never any 'leftover' wine for cooking.

White wine in bottles seems to go off quite quickly so just wondering if anyone knows of any other options? There wasn't much selection of fortified wine at Countdown, (I tried one the other day but it was really sweet) Does anyone know if cask white wine keeps for longer than bottled wine? Random I know but these recipies just don't taste as good without it!
Sponsored Links

sadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 9:02pm
Sounds random, but you can freeze leftover wine in portions, and then thaw it out for cooking. So you could open a new bottle and split it into 3-4 ziplock bags, then seal them with as little air as possible before chucking in the freezer.

Cask wine would also be fine, but personally I'm not a fan of cask wine.
Herewegoagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herewegoagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 10:34am
Cask wine would be fine, but only use it in cooking if you would previously drink it.

Freezing wine is something I haven't even considered!

+ My big school boy (6)
BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 4:25pm
Leftover wine? Is there such a thing?
We do a fair amount of cooking involving wine, but with DH being a winemaker we're a little snobby, I suppose, and buy "nicer" wines so that we can drink the remainder.

However, we found it was getting a bit pricey given we now have two very hungry mouths to feed, so we stick with buying nice bottles solely to drink and (much to DH's chagrin) casks to cook with.
None of our casks last more than 3 months, so I'm not sure how long they last for, but they're still good enough for cooking down to the last drop.

Casablanca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casablanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2012 at 7:56pm
Thanks ladies. Sadie you just reminded me my mum freezes 'leftover' wine too, might give that a go.
 Post Reply Post Reply