FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWay through?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Way through?
    Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:12pm
After spending several months in denial of having PND I have finally booked myself an appointment with a counsellor.

After spending so long feeling groggy, having clouded judgement, lack of sleep, anxiety attacks, stress levels mounting, lack of enjoyment and motivation, and easily irritable .... and not doing anything about it; I just want to know that the end of this and return to feeling normal again.

Just wondering how long it took for others who have had PND to start to feel an improvement and what their best advice on getting through it is?
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:06pm
I was kind of in denial as well, although I was in denial for about 2.5yrs which was just after #2 was born. I found counselling great, it helped me to understand alot of why I am like this and what my triggers are. But in all honesty I didn't feel 'normal' until I went on meds. I am on meds for the 2nd time with #3 and these ones are heaps better than the ones I was on last time.
I hope the counselling goes well
Lindsey

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:16pm
I think it is different for everyone. I experienced PND after my second baby and counselling really helped me. I was having issues with controlling my anger/rage and then dealing with the guilt of having to try to hard not to hurt my girls. Had some very dark days.
I finally got help after I had a tearful meltdown at DD's 3mth imms.
Counselling helped me immensely. Even the feeling I got being able to leave the house for an hour and just talk about me. My very own hour. So I guess I started to feel better right from the first appointment.
The counsellor was wonderful, she helped me to see what my triggers were, helped me to see why they triggered the rage and we worked out plans to get through those nasty feelings.
It also helped me to talk to others who have/had PND or any kind of depression. Talking about how I felt and knowing I wasn't the only mother who really struggled at times to get through the day helped.
I had to put in a fair bit of effort to help myself. I get out of the house every single day, even if I just go outside and do some gardening while the baby's sleeping. I do more housework (I used to not bother with it because I was feeling so low but now I do it really fast every morning and it makes me feel good).
I also stopped eating gluten, which some would see as rather extreme, but I think it was causing my excema and now if I do have anything wheaty I can feel the rage bubbling again.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps you. It feels pretty lonely when you're in the thick of PND but you won't be there forever and you're not alone x
Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 10:48pm
Thx for the replies.   Feel a bit strange about the prospect of going to a counsellor but then suppose any help is better than none.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:23am
I felt strange about it too, like she was going to tell me there are much bigger problems than a mum who feels sad. But she was fantastic, didn't make me feel silly at all. I also think it's good for deciding if you need meds or not. I had a lot of pressure from the GP to take anti-depressants but after seeing the counsellor I realised I didn't need them really, I could make changes to help myself. But there are situations where meds help PND, like when the PND is caused by chemicals/hormones etc and not by unresolved issues etc. That's my understanding of it anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply