FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked13 month old refusing afternoon nap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MumofJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumofJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13 month old refusing afternoon nap
    Posted: 03 June 2012 at 8:25pm
Hi - I have a 13.5 month old girl. Until recently she's been taking 2 x 1.5hour naps - the first at about 9:30am and the second about 3pm. She generally wakes up about 5:30am and her bedtime for the night is 7pm.

Of late, she has started refusing the afternoon nap. She will toss and turn and fidget. It can take an hour to an hour and a half to get her down for the afternoon nap - previously, she used to be asleep in 20-30mins.

She is able to fall off to sleep on her own, although she wants me in the room with her until she's asleep.

At night she mostly sleeps through. She doesn't have any milk feeds at night. She has breakfast at about 7am.

I'm wondering if the refusal of the afternoon nap means it's time to transition to one nap? The problem I have is that because she wakes up so early, she's quite tired by 9/9:30am. I've tried to keep her awake until 11am, but she wakes up within an hour. And one one hour nap is clearly not enough for her - she is tired, cranky, yawning and rubbing her eyes by 3pm....but refuses to nap :(

She will only sleep in her cot - I've tried walks in her buggy and car rides. She doesn't fall asleep in either the buggy or the carseat.

Has anyone else been through this? How have you combatted the issue? Could someone share their schedule with me so that I get an idea of what to do? I am at my wit's end as to how to manage this.
Sponsored Links

Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 9:02am
Just a thought but have you tried making her second nap a bit earlier?

If that doesn't work and she is ready to drop to one nap, my advice is to take the transition slowly. It took 6 weeks for my twins to settle properly into the new routine and to move the naptime from 9.45am to 11am. (they were 14 months)

I moved naptime by 15 mins every few days but some days we had to go back to an earlier time cos they were just too tired. I also made bedtime 6.30pm while they got used to being on one nap.

Hope that helps. Dropping from 2 naps to 1 one is the hardest transition in my experience.
MumofJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumofJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 9:49am
Thanks Danda08. Afternoon naps used to be at 2pm, but Madam used to refuse to settle, hence the 2:30/3pm time.

I'll try your suggestion for going down to one nap. Thanks again.
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 12:27pm
we went to one nap at around 12/13 months, but as well as refusing her afternoon nap, she was also going to sleep later and later for her morning nap.

Morning sleep at around 12 months was around 10am, and then afternoons around 2.30/3pm. Then mornings became more like 11am (over a period of a couple of months) and the afternoons just disappeared altogether. for a period of about a month, she'd have maybe one or two afternoon sleeps a week, and then eventually it just vanished altogether.

We kept putting her in bed for about an hour or so for a few weeks even after she stopped sleeping, because it broke up her day and still seemed to give her a bit of a rest (and us!).

her morning sleep is early - but I can see why if she wakes up so early. Any reason for it? Room too light, too cold? Will she stay in bed or does she insist on getting up? Our bedtime is 7pm and getting up time (not necessarily waking up time) is 7am. she stays in bed till then.

maybe if you do manage to cut out the afternoon sleep, the nights will get longer - although usually it seems that if they are tired, they don't sleep so well in general...
maisey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maisey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 1:54pm

Could you maybe try waking her after an hour for her morning sleep?

And still put her down as normal for her avo sleep. 

Edited by maisey
snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 8:06pm
I would def go to one sleep, maybe at about 11/11:30 or so. What I did at that age was give lunch early and then put him to bed and he would sleep for a couple of hours and then bed at 7. You might find with one nap she will also sleep a bit later than 5:30am in the morning which Im sure will be nice for you too hehe may have to put up with a few grumpy days as she adjusts. I would think its time to go to one nap as if shes taking so long to fall asleep in the afternoon shes probably not tired
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
MumofJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumofJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 10:30pm
Thanks everyone for your advice. Finding it quite helpful.

By some miracle, J took an afternoon nap today. I felt like I'd won the lotto!

Lisame, she's been waking up at 5:30am for so long that I've stopped questioning it now. We used to give her a milk feed and try to resettle her but that wouldn't work. Room's pretty dark, especially now that it's winter. Temperature does drop around that time. I've tried waking up at 4am and making sure she's well covered, and popping an extra layer on, but she's still woken up at 5:30am.

I still try to resettle her when she wakes up, but it rarely works. She knows now that we expect her to stay in bed if she wakes up that early, and she does try. She'll lie still and try to go to sleep, but then gets fidgety and toss and turn. She gets frustrated after a while and sits up and wants to be picked up.

Maisey, that's a good thought. Will give it a try over the next couple of days.

Snugglebug, how long before your little one started doing longer naps? J will only do 1hr 20min naps if I put her down for a nap around 11-ish. In contrast, she does 1hr 30mins if she naps at 9:30am. Not much of a difference, but it seems like she's still needs more sleep.

Hopefully today's afternoon nap means that she's a bit better rested. Not sure if it was my imagination, but I was beginning to see dark circles under her eyes :(

Thanks again, everyone, for your helpful suggestions. Much appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply