FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedApplying for jobs while pregnant?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ookay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ookay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Applying for jobs while pregnant?
    Posted: 21 September 2012 at 8:38pm
Unexpectedly, I'm 15 weeks pregnant with my first and I'm looking for jobs. I was a freelancer for most of this year, but my work has really dried up, leaving my partner and I on a single income which is a little tough.

Temp recruiters won't touch me and have even been a bit rude about my situation. So, I'm having to apply for permanent roles, which I think is a little deceptive, but there isn't much of a way around it.

I'm struggling to think of ways to break to future employers that I'm pregnant. I don't want to tell them on my first day at the job and then have them use the 3 month probation period as leverage for them to fire me, but on the other hand, I don't want to dampen my chances of getting something while I'm in an interview.

I'm in my mid twenties and graduated from Uni last year. So, although I have quite a bit of life and job experience and am at the top of the pile in my field, I'm still considered as a junior and jobs are competitive, so any outside risk mentioned would be a real threat to me getting anything. The whole pregnancy thing has been a bit of a bummer already and now that I'm feeling better, I'd love to just get into some reliable work.

I don't know what to do, really. Help? Advice?
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 6:26pm
Can't understand why temp companies won't touch you, it's not as if you're going to go on Maternity leave while on a contract.

Gosh it's a hard one, It would be better to say at the interview but then you'll probably shoot yourself in the foot for getting a job :/
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2012 at 10:47pm
It surprises me that temp jobs won't touch you, even things that aren't in your 'field' like call centres admin roles etc. I was top of the list when I was 3mths with a job and had a former employee not contacted them would have had the job.

Good luck been in that situation and it sucks!

Bobsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 3:20pm
I feel for you. I am in a similar situation. I have been working for a company for over 18 months as a fixed term employee and provided there's work they keep renewing my contract. All the employees except two are on the same contracts. BUT, the downside as I found out is that they can choose not to renew contracts with no explanation...despite the fact the employers are not allowed to discriminate based on pregancy, it happens as I found out the hard way. My contract is not being renewed. Depsite having had a great annual review, payrise, and talk of prjects they wanted to involve me in for next year...next thing is I'm pregnant, I tell them and now I'm out of a job because "there's no work". Rubbish, but nevermind, can't dwell on these things too long.

So I found myself in the position of do I get another job or don't I? After all it's a long way till the baby comes in April next year! We can manage on one income, but anything I can earn would be very nice. I did lots of reading about employing pregnant women, and they aren't actually allowed to ask, therefore you don't have to tell. My thinking was the same as you, I don't want to decieve anyone but I don't want to deal with any discrimination either. It's a hard place to be.

My advice, do it case by case. If you feel that it will affect them employing you don't tell them. If you think it won't and you want to tell them, do. Can you just tell them afterwards and pretend you had no idea? Not entirely honest but being treated unfairly becuase you are pregannt is no fun and certainly not fair.

The good news is that some employers are fantastic with things like this. I fell pregnant 5 weeks after starting a job in 2010 and was really sick with morning sickness but then had to have a D&C at 13 weeks because there was no heartbeat. So I then needed more time off to deal with it all They were amazing and supportive the whole way through. So don't depair, there are some great employers out there too!!!

Good luck!! Thumbs Up
Me 34
Him 35
DD almost 2 years old and...
Baby #2 on it's way!

ookay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ookay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 4:51pm
Thanks Bobsta! What a crap situation you're in. That's terrible.

I've thought about just applying for stuff and not telling them, but I'm showing already! Eek! My partner made a good point in that, you kind of don't want the prospect of all that hostility hanging over your head from a boss who might be a total asshole two face - something my field is known for, unfortunately. I'll keep trying! Thanks everyone. :)
InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 7:53pm
I wouldnt tell them. Hide your bump. A chick I know of has hidden her bump up till 1 week before she was due she carried on working and not told hardly a sole.

Look after yourself first, you need the $$, I dont think there is a law that you have to announce to an employer that you are pregnant? Id wait to be asked.
How showing are you?
Keleho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keleho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 8:22am
Difficult situation! An old workmate started working with us when she was 5 months pregnant, claimed she had 'no idea' before hand - my then boss (really nice guy, wouldnt hurt a fly type) was absolutely fuming about it. He honored the contract, she worked three months then went on maternity leave and never came back. She also asked for references, he refused a written one and it has tarnished her reputation in the process.

I would think about your plans post baby - will you need to go back to work? Do you think youll take a year off?? Or will you need to go back sooner?? Would you go back to the same job? Or perhaps look for another one? Consider that sort of stuff when looking.

I think if you were to get a job in your field without telling them you are pregnant first, it could cost you jobs in future - remember, a future employer will phone a previous one, especially if it in the same field of work - you dont want them to be pissy that you 'deceived' them even if its totally legal to do so.

Personally, I would find a temp job - say in retail or a supermarket for example (something easily filled) as they will be less likely to be annoyed at the prospect of having to readvertise the position once you left. Then, if/when you decide to go back to work, you can look for something more suitable for you qualifications/post baby life.
JulianneWill129505 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianneWill129505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 11:31am
Girls! Egg maternity is providing opportunities for pregnant moms!

Have a look at this link : http://eggmaternity.com/afawcs0152565/CATID=367/Maternity-Concierge.html

Maybe you are interested in this, it sounds like a good opportunity!

Hardisson262712 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardisson262712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 8:26am
Good afternoon! What is your degree and how do you like working with kids. I suppose, if you have a child - you know how to communicate with them. Now it is quite popular to work as an online tutor. Kids need additional help due to the complicated educational situation. You can read more about it here.

Edited by Hardisson262712 - 29 December 2020 at 8:26am
Brian266450 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian266450 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2021 at 10:56am
Oh god, I feel how unfair this is because my wife is going through the same thing now. It's so weird that you're not being considered for a temporary job. And for whom was it created then? I think it’s worth noting how the employer is attuned to you during the interview. Perhaps in the course of the dialogue it will already be clear whether it is worth telling him about the pregnancy or whether it is better to remain silent. However, I am leaning towards the second option.
My wife and I are now in a difficult financial situation, and we have to save every penny until she gets a job somewhere. Now I read a lot of different articles, including why I got to this forum. There is one interesting one. I will leave a link, maybe it will come in handy https://voticle.com/a/articles/76455/10-budgeting-tips-that-can-minimize-your-expenditure
In general, you can read something like that while you are looking for a job and you have to be careful with money. Good luck. In fact, good luck to all of us
Jamess266209 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamess266209 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 12:35pm
I completely agree with you. By the way, guys, if right now you are looking for a job then personally I strongly recommend you to visit jooble website because there you easily can check all the vacancies really fast and without any problems. I would like to propose you this https://uk.jooble.org/jobs-executive-trade-plate-driver in case you are interested because it seems for me that it's an amazing variant for you right now. Just check it and then tell me your opinion and your thoughts about it.
Jordan265338 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan265338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2021 at 2:49pm
You know, having a job requires lots of willpower, so at one day I decided to open my own business. Now I'm looking for e-commerce, so I hope somebody will leave it here. I'll be glad!
 Post Reply Post Reply