FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFood!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mousey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mousey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food!
    Posted: 01 October 2012 at 7:45pm
Hi all, I asked this in an early post in the main thread but didn't get any responses, so thought I'd give it it's own little thread :)

Trickiest thing so far for me is what to eat for lunch! I got all the guidelines from the doctor, so no bought sushi, salads or sandwiches, so thats subway, tank, bakery out. So you have to make your own which is fine, but even then - no ham, no feta, I am really struggling - theres only so many tuna salads you want for lunch! I really want to eat healthily - does anyone have any suggestions for lunches?

Any ideas for lunches would be amazing so feel free to post what you are having!
Sponsored Links

AngieBaby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngieBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 8:01pm
Ah yes the old food in pregnancy challenge :) there are a few articles under the pregnancy section on this site but yes- it's a challenge :)
I remember eating bakers delight a fair bit - not that I would recommend that.
I would make my own fresh salads with smoked chicken - but I only had the smoked chicken fresh that day - or a cooked chicken from the supermarket.
You can also do pasta with a pasta sauce.
Will have to think of more ideas and post later :) thinking cap officially on :)
Pitter patter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitter patter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 9:00pm
Mousey the other day I walked into a bakery and could eat none of the food! I remember from last time making your own works. You can eat sushi if you make it yourself fresh, even hummus if you make it without Tahini. Dinner is easier eh as you can make it fresh and serve it hot.
Bell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 9:32pm
Sorry no suggestions here, so far all I've done at lunchtime is swap the ham for bacon to make a BLT lol. I'm a SAHM so have the advantage of being able to have hot stuff.
Felt sad giving up my weekly souvlaki!
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 9:35pm
Mousey sandwiches are fine - just no cold meats. I often eat chickpeas, tomatoes and flavoured tuna for lunch, or leftovers from dinner. Frozen meals are handy on the odd occasion. You could do baked potatoes - cook at home, heat up with sour cream and toppings at work.

I miss sushi SO much, it's actually pathetic. Like I'm grumpy because I can't have it. Ridiculous.
AngieBaby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AngieBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 9:40pm
Sushi was the biggest thing I missed! On the day I had my babies I had hubby send bring me sushi to the hospital :)
mousey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mousey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 11:01am
I am really missing sushi too!   I guess I will just have to get used to making my own lunches which is actually a good thing, will be saving a heap of money!!
Smurfette88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfette88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 2:46pm
I have found that I am just cooking a bit extra at night and taking dinner left overs for lunch, also soups with some toasty bread yum!! Noodles with fresh veges and a yummy dressing. Fresh sushi is also SSSOOO easy to make!! I thought it would b a drag but its super easy :) Also lasagne's, hot toasted sandwiches with ham or salami, but I toast them so hot that I actually cant eat them for a while :)

Cous cous with fresh feta and stir fried veges is pretty tasty and fulling too :)

So hungry now
JaneyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaneyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 3:24pm
Chicken noodle soup has ben my god send for the past 2 weeks but am over it now! haha strawberry yohgurt with banana cut up in it has been a staple for me too and lots of mandarins!!
Bell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 4:50pm
Would you eat KFC while pregnant? I did last time then a friend made me feel terrible for having?
Mintyfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mintyfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 7:09pm
I would eat KFC while preg, I would just avoid the standard - mayo, lettuce etc (although now I am craving kfc mayo, darn it)

it is hard enough trying to eat for bubs without having to cook every single meal too.

Toasted sandwiches sound like an excellent idea!

I just had hot chicken rolls for dinner (while sitting in bed with a vomit bowl next to me lol) and I didn't take my eating guide to the supermarket - I found out when I got home that I could have purchased store mayo!!! It is only home made and restaurant/takeaway mayo that you have to avoid!! So sad now.
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Smurfette88 Smurfette88 wrote:

I have found that I am just cooking a bit extra at night and taking dinner left overs for lunch, also soups with some toasty bread yum!! Noodles with fresh veges and a yummy dressing. Fresh sushi is also SSSOOO easy to make!! I thought it would b a drag but its super easy :) Also lasagne's, hot toasted sandwiches with ham or salami, but I toast them so hot that I actually cant eat them for a while :)

Cous cous with fresh feta and stir fried veges is pretty tasty and fulling too :)

So hungry now

I thought feta was out as it was a soft cheese?
JadeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JadeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 8:02pm
Oooh scratch that, just found a link saying it's fine! YAY!
MakeItWork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MakeItWork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 12:50pm
I would personally avoid store mayo as it is still made with egg yolk. It is only really safe if it clearly says that it is made with pasteurised egg but I haven't found and brands that say that in NZ.

I also would never touch KFC but then I never eat there anyway. I just don't think any fast food places can be trusted to make sure food is fresh and piping hot and chicken is the worst so I would stay well away personally. As far as I'm concerned it is only 9 months so it isn't worth the risk to me.

I find roasting a batch of veggies at the weekend works pretty well and then I have them in wraps for lunch throughout the week, either with a bit of cheese and toasted or with some tinned tuna or chicken. It's a good way to get your veggie intake up as I find it hard to get up to the recommended 4-5 servings a day without having some at lunch time.

I'm loving fruit at the moment which is quite unusual for me but I can't get enough of it!

Oh yeh and as far as I know Feta is fine as long as it is cooked in something and not eaten cold (as with so many things)

TTC Since Oct 10 - PCOS

Our beautiful girl sadly born sleeping April 2012

mousey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mousey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 1:46pm
i wasnt sure about feta, but i checked the NHS guidelines and they say its fine, plus healthy food guide here says its okay if you dont keep it and use after initially opening so I went and bought a block last night and had about 1/3 of a block in my salad!! hubby will have to eat the rest ;)   I too am eating heaps of fruit at the moment which is great. good idea to roast veges on a sunday night and use in lunches during the week. how long do you think roasted veges will keep for in the fridge?
Smurfette88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfette88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 1:46pm
Personally with chicken I wont eat it unless I have cooked it myself.

regards to feta, my midwife has told me aslong as it is in a sealed pack and you eat it within 2 days of opening you are fine.

I definitly think some people make a bigger deal out of what you can and cant eat but I think as long as you stick to the basics and make sure everything is fresh and prepared well you will be fine, but as you said MakeitWork, its only 9 months.
Pepsicle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepsicle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 3:11pm
Oops I have KFC for dinner last night and just ate a handful of ham haha! My major cravings so far are grapefruit and raw baby spinach...

Josh 08/04/04
Angel baby 09/05
Harry 18/12/06
Liliana 03/01/10
Angel baby 05/12
Bell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 3:19pm
They are good cravings Pepsicle!
I haven't had any yet but cheeseburgers were popular about this stage last time then milkshakes like 3 times aday until 17wks!?
JaneyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaneyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 11:40am
Jelly beans and just good old jelly have been a constant craving for me in between nausea!! Thats great about the feta as i thought it was out and was gutted as I actually am craving it!! gonna go get me some now!
Hayley84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayley84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 2:51pm
IS cooked watercress safe to eat while preg??, Im sure i ate it while preg with #2 and another baby site has recipes with it in it for preg ladies but other sites say no??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>