FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI know it's far too early: nurseries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mintyfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mintyfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I know it's far too early: nurseries
    Posted: 02 October 2012 at 7:29pm
DH and I just put together some new shelves in our living room, which allowed us to empty SEVEN huge boxes of books and ornaments that were stored in our spare bedroom, so I'm starting to think about the nursery now and what I want to do with it. Has anyone else started making plans? This is our first so we don't have an established childrens room.

The spare room has a grey tinted paint, with white paneling, and a white ceiling. It also has a huge window, which sadly is south facing, but it does look out at a beautiful evergreen hedge. It is so nice, airy and light in there most of the time.

We got a sofa bed on the weekend, which is floral, but we can put a sheet over it for a boy. Other than that there is a hand me down change table to come, and a set of drawers that I want to repaint white. And lastly we have an owl mobile that I got when I was pregnant with one of my earlier babies.

So there are a few things left to get - I want a cot, a rocking chair, and a rocking horse and then we should be fairly sorted for now.
Sponsored Links

Hayley84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayley84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 7:58pm
so sad we wont have a nursery if we stay in this house, its not big enough and baby will be in with us - Im going to be so jelly reading all you ladies wonderful ideas lol
Bell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 8:01pm
Thankfully we have a 4 bedroom house. My 2 girls already share so that we have a spare room when my BFF & Mum come to stay. That room is tiny so will be becoming the nursery & visitors will either have to sleep on sofa or a airbed in our sons room lol.
I like to keep my babies in with us until atleast 6mths so Won't set it up for ages so Mum can stay when baby is born.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mintyfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:28pm
We'll probably either have bubs in a bassinet with us when my mum is down, or we'll sleep on the sofa bed in the nursery and give mum our bed. No idea yet :)

Hayley our place is tiny too, but by choice. We also own it so there is no option to move somewhere else - whoops!
Bobsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 4:11pm
OH I love this! And here I was thinking I'm crazy for wanted to get stuck into ideas for decorating the babies room.

I hope you guys don't mind me joing in here on occasion? The april thread tends to be a bit quiet and I've got a bit of time on my hands, far too much time as I keep looking at baby things on trademe lol.

Minty sounds like you are sorted! The white panelling sounds lovely and the grey tint paint on the walls will be a perfect background to whatever theme you choose.

I absolutely love winnie the poo, have been a big fan ever since I was a kid so would love to have some winnie the poo stuff. I haven't really thought about themes or anything yet but I'm starting to get to the point where I want to go SHOPPING!! Clown

Me 34
Him 35
DD almost 2 years old and...
Baby #2 on it's way!

dottydot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dottydot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 4:57pm
We've got a 4brm house also, the smallest room (which after our room, is the sunniest) happens to be the closest room to ours which is good.
It currently has built in bookshelves along one wall, so we will need to do something about them and move all the books elsewhere!
It is painted dark green - over wallpaper, with a 'picture rail' halfway up the walls and is white above that. Pretty gross really!
Can't wait to get stuck into redecorating it, then shopping for baby furniture :-D YAY!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mintyfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 7:02pm
That would be lovely Bobsta!

I haven't thought about themes yet, I think I just want a hodge podge of handmade cute things - it sounds super geeky, but my friend found a free doctor who cross stitch that she thought I'd love, and my mum has offered to teach me to cross stitch, so I'm going to make it for baby :)

Winnie the pooh is always a winner - especially the older style drawings from the books. We have an old Winnie the pooh hardcover book which I adore

Dotty - dark green! Lovely! Hehe. Picture rails can look good if treated right, but never with such a contrast in colours! Is it possible to keep the bookshelves and use them for toys and clothes/nappies etc? Save yourself some furniture :)
AndieP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndieP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 11:21pm
I don't think it's too early to start thinking about your nursery. At this early stage, you might find this link useful http://www.babysdream.com/VirtualNurseryPlanner.aspx You can type in the dimensions for your room and it allows you to rearrange objects in the nursery, such as the cot, changing table etc.
Charlotta96685 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlotta96685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 7:45pm
HOw are your nurseries coming along? I've done nothing, and we thought since we will be having baby in our room with us for a wee while, we've put off doing anything with the nursery until after the birth. Maybe this is a mistake, but just a bit overwhelmed now with the realisation we only have 3 months to go. So much decluttering to do...
I've been looking at some beautiful nurseries on apartmenttherapy.com there are a couple of grey rooms with lovely accents.
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/categories/nursery_kids
Gracy205071 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gracy205071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Mintyfresh Mintyfresh wrote:

DH and I just put together some new shelves in our living room, which allowed us to empty SEVEN huge boxes of books and ornaments that were stored in our spare bedroom, so I'm starting to think about the nursery now and what I want to do with it. Has anyone else started making plans? This is our first so we don't have an established childrens room.

The spare room has a grey tinted paint, with white paneling, and a white ceiling. It also has a huge window, which sadly is south facing, but it does look out at a beautiful evergreen hedge. It is so nice, airy and light in there most of the time.

We got a sofa bed on the weekend, which is floral, but we can put a sheet over it for a boy. Other than that there is a hand me down change table to come, and a set of drawers that I want to repaint white. And lastly we have an owl mobile that I got when I was pregnant with one of my earlier babies.

So there are a few things left to get - I want a cot, a rocking chair, and a rocking horse and then we should be fairly sorted for now.

You really had rocking space. But planning is all needed at this stage.
 Post Reply Post Reply