FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFellow Mum 4 Orphan Embryo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Willendorf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willendorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fellow Mum 4 Orphan Embryo?
    Posted: 28 May 2013 at 7:45pm
Would any of you fellow Mums out there be willing/able to help us with our one remaining embryo??? Do you enjoy being pregnant, but don't necessarily want anymore kids yourself? They say people who need people are the luckiest, and I finally know what that means, because without that need, we wouldn't have met our wonderful egg-donor family, and without that need, I wouldn't be writing this to you. I would be less alive, more insular and less fully interactive in the world...

We are very happy parents to one beautiful three-year-old daughter. We have a dilemma, however, in that there is one embryo remaining from the fertility treatment we undertook in order to conceive her. We would love to have a brother or a sister for her, but I am advised not to attempt to carry another child.

Because she was created with the generous help of an egg donor, we are also not allowed by NZ law to donate our embryo to anyone else. Unable to bear the thought of simply 'discarding' this embryo that is a potential sibling for our daughter--and also unable to bear the thought of never knowing whether or not this potential child would have joined us, had it had the chance--we are very much in need of someone's loving help!

Because we have such a very small extended family of our own, we very much welcome the idea of adding to it in this way. Are any of you fellow Mums out there in a position to think about pursuing going on this journey with us??? And be this embryo's potential 'Tummy Mummy'!? It's just too much to ask, isn't it? And dare we hope for a second miracle?
Sponsored Links

ArielAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArielAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 5:42pm
I didn't want to read and run, but this is something that I would definitely consider in the future but right now I'm in the middle of having my own family. Probably by the time I'm in the right space I'll be too old (and with my fertility issues I might not be a good candidate anyway).

Good luck with finding a surrogate!
After 16 months TTC, surprise BFP July 10
DD1 Mar 11
After 9 months TTC, BFP on 4th Clomid cycle Feb 13
DD2 Oct 13
LateStarterLorna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LateStarterLorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 9:06pm
Hi, is there a criteria for the surrogate? Like age? Previous mc's etc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willendorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2013 at 12:48pm
Hi Shannon! Thanks so much for your post and for your good wishes!! I think it's great that you would consider being a surrogate!!! (A lot of exclamation points, I know, but it is exciting to me!)

Hi Lorna! Dear Embryo was conceived with the help of Fertility Associates (where it is currently in frozen stasis), and we would be following their advice regarding a potential surrogate. Their general guidelines simply state that a surrogate be healthy and have a low risk for complications during any pregnancy that occurs. They also recommend that a surrogate has completed her own family. Regarding age, I am unaware myself of specific cut-offs or specific rules regarding previous miscarriages. I believe that each surrogacy case is assessed on an individual basis. Thanks so much for your post!
Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 5:06pm
I would also consider this in the future if my partner was agreeable. But as ArielAngel said atm we are trying for our 3rd and last child and then would be BFing for 1-2 yrs :(
Are you looking for someone immediately and would they have to be local?
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willendorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 8:56pm
Hi Kalimirella, Thanks for your post. I think it's so great that you're considering being a surrogate! There is nothing like looking for a surrogate one's self to help one appreciate surrogates in general... Well, technically speaking we have at least until 2019 until we will be required by law to discard the embryo. I had thought that it would be good to have children about three years apart in age, I guess because that was the age difference between my older brother and myself, but now I think--especially in our case of only one embryo to try with--that finding a good surrogate match is just as important as my idea of ideal timing.

There is already a four-and-a-half year gap between dear daughter and her sibling embryo, even if the frozen embryo transfer was made tomorrow--if you know what I mean, lol. That is, of course, given that dear lone embryo resulted in pregnancy; it is quite likely that it would not, in which case dear surrogate would have delivered us the blessed gift of closure. In spite of wanting a sibling, we are also extremely happy with one child; we will not be pursuing further fertility treatment. Either way, yes--it would seem the sooner the better, and no--potential surrogate doesn't have to be local...

Congrats on your family, best of luck with that child no. 3! xx    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willendorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 4:34pm
Time for a bit of an update on our surrogacy journey: Our family has had incredibly generous offers from more than one Mum who hasn’t yet quite completed her own family, or is currently in the process of egg donation, or resides outside of NZ. We have also had interest from more than one fantastic volunteer Gestational Surrogate who, like me, would be at undue risk in attempting this pregnancy. We have gone down the road on our journey varying distances with each, and happily we are still in contact with many of these wonderful women. I would like to say a heartfelt public thank you to each of you! xx Alas and alack, however--as Shakespeare says-- we are still looking for that special Tummy Mummy to help us get our Embryo out of frozen storage, in order to see if she or he will indeed join us in the world….
RachFizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RachFizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 6:12pm
Something about this has struck me, but unfortunately I'm not a good candidate! 
We haven't yet started our family, and I have fibromyalgia. Don't know if that's deemed unfit for pregnancy or not!

Good luck on your journey.
TTC#1 since Apr11
On hold for study!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willendorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 6:27pm
Hi RachFizz! Thanks so much for your good wishes. Great to hear from you. Best of luck to you now and in the future!! xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willendorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2015 at 10:22am
UPDATE: two and a half years down the track, and after many (I will count them one of these days!) kind offers of potential tummy Mums who were not quite finished with their own families and/or finishing breast feeding, and after kind offers by potential tummy Mums who would themselves be at risk in a pregnancy, we are still looking for someone to give our last Dear Frozen Embryo its chance at life, and give our Dear 5-year-old daughter the chance of a sibling. Can you please, please, please help us get our last embryo out of its frozen prison????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willendorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2015 at 9:22pm
Thank you so much to all those who helped along the way. Our orphan embryo did not survive the thawing process in the end. We are heartbroken, but eternally grateful to the amazing surrogate match who gave us our chance.
nannikin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nannikin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2015 at 9:01pm
Sorry to hear your news Willendorf, I can only imagine how heartbroken you are. Big hugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willendorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2015 at 9:29pm
Thank you for your post and the cyber hugs nannikin.
 Post Reply Post Reply