FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked21 month old keeping me up - I am so OVER it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sweets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21 month old keeping me up - I am so OVER it!
    Posted: 09 February 2015 at 11:40am

Hi there

My 21 month old girl used to sleep well in her cot, she would go down nicely. She is a climber so we put her into her bed early, around 2 1/2 months ago. To begin with she was fine going to bed but after 2 or so weeks she started to get out a million times. We have tried multiple approaches, and I will admit with camping over Christmas etc its been very had to be consisitant but now we are back into our normal routine and we can't get her into one. She screams at bed time everytime for hours and then wakes during the night at least once or twice screaming only wanting me to BF her or sometimes not even that she just screams.

She sleeps for 1-2 hours at daycare everyday.

We are ready to put a plan in place but I am overwhelmed with information.

I am so sick of sitting in her room or in the hallway for 2 hours a night or just having to keep getting up and putting her in her bed. I'm at the end of my wick & all I can think about is planning a trip away so I can get a full nights sleep alone!!!

Sponsored Links

Bobsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 1:49pm
Oh I really feel for you! Just been going through a similar sleep resistant thing with my 22 month old. She isn't a climber so still have her in a cot luckily so I'm afarid what worked for me may not help you.

But I was chatting to my sister the other day and her son was like that when switching to the bed. She hit rock bottom and at one point both were crying and hanging on to the door handle on opposite sides of the door! She said what got the message through to her son that there was no coming out of his room when it was bedtime, was putting a barrier gate up so he couldn't come out of his room (their door handles were low so he could open the door on his own). He's now 4 and he's a good sleeper (and has been for a long time). 

Hopefully there are lots of other people here that can give you other ideas too. But if it's getting so bad to breaking point, a sleep consultant may be worth looking into.

Me 34
Him 35
DD almost 2 years old and...
Baby #2 on it's way!

sweets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 1:50pm
Wow thats actually a really good idea! I hadnt even thought of that and they have it on the sleep room at daycare so it wouldnt be a big shock - maybe just re-inforcment for at home.

Thank you!!!
Bobsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 2:14pm
So glad I can help. Us mums NEED our relaxation time at night! Good luck, I'm not sure how long it took with my nephew once the gate was up but don't think it was too long.

Me 34
Him 35
Baby #2 on it's way!

_Soda_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Soda_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 2:45pm
good idea Bobsta! also, could daycare start cutting back the day sleep to say 1-1.5 hours then wake up? I found my daughter went from being an amazing sleeper to refusing to sleep until 10pm even though she seemed to really need her nap- which was 3 + hours! (she REALLY loved to sleep lol) i cut that back and she went back to settling well at night again. and way earlier too. i also find a very set bedtime routing vital too. so for us thats dinner, a bath, pjs on, 2 stories (NEVER more- she knows she gets 2 and thats it) prayers, kisses goodnight then she "blows the light out" lol and thats it. works 99% of the time for us anyway nand shes now 4 and its how weve always dont it.. its a tricky age youre at though, wanting to be so independent etc. good luck!
My little miracle 6/1/2011
My angel in Heaven 9/5/14
Bobsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 3:00pm
Just out of curiosity, what time is bedtime for your DD Soda and yours sweets? I'm just trying to decide if we should have a later bedtime or not for ours. We shower at 7pm and bed by 7.30pm but I'm wondering if an 8pm bedtime is better? I would rather have an earlier bedtime though!
Me 34
Him 35
Baby #2 on it's way!

_Soda_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Soda_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 5:43pm
my girl is around a 7.30 bedtime and is just 4 years old and no longer day-naps. I still have to wake her at 7 for preschool though lol. with a day nap shed be around 8pm at the earliest, and that was before she started really growing out of the naps. so yeah maybe stretch bedtime out a bit.. but everyones different so just do what works! 
My little miracle 6/1/2011
My angel in Heaven 9/5/14
Bobsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2015 at 6:37pm
Thanks Soda, I had a feeling since her latest growth spurt (aka when all the trouble started!) that I've needed to change the sleep time but I'm clinging to the old routine lol. She's a good napper like your little one was, 2 hours minimum and can be up to 4hrs (but that's not as common anymore - except today woohoo!). So I think I will go ahead and start trying bedtime at 8pm or even 8.30pm on the days she has a longer nap. I know on the days she has a very long nap I should wake her but I love it! Embarrassed It never used to affect her bedtime but I guess she's changed so it probably does now. 
Me 34
Him 35
Baby #2 on it's way!

LauraDavids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraDavids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 5:06pm
Sorry to hear that, mine was crying all the time when he was that little, gave us so many sleepless nights and headaches.
 Post Reply Post Reply