FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedyour christmas traditions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: your christmas traditions
    Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:32pm
Does your family have any christmas traditions? Was just reading the article about it on here. We dont do anything but would like to start some...
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Sponsored Links

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:42pm
not really but like you would love to start some that my kids can pass on. hopefully someone has ideas we could steal
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 10:00pm
Here is one we're continuing from my childhood.. I've told Ella that Santa will be coming on Christmas Eve and leaving presents under our tree..so we will leave biscuits and milk under the tree for Santa and a carrot for the reindeer.

Before we go to bed, we'll take a bite from the biscuits and the carrot, and drink most of the milk.

Edited by meow

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 10:06pm
Oooh, we do that too! My new tradition is to bake xmas cookies for the tree. We did it the day before yesterday and iced them yesterday....then I discovered jake has been licking the icing off and putting them back..eeew. Still ike the idea though. At playcentre we also made cookies and gave them to people in our lives- such as my post lady and the people at the dairy.

My xmas tradition is also going to be reading a xmassy book that night.

AND photo with Santa - FINALLY found out Santa will be at Monkeystar tomorrow so will troop down with taine, Jake and my niece Kyla and see how we go.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 11:01pm
meow, we had the same tradition when i was a kid but instead of milk we left beer. DH and i were talking about it the other night and he said about putting milk and cookies out for santa...i said no, santa likes beer better!
we always had our santa sacks at the end of our beds waiting for santa to fill and that's what we'll do for jack too. i now look back and realise why my parents got grumpy at 4am when 3kids came barging into their bedroom wanting to open presents   hehehehe   

ellabellame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellabellame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 7:52am
on xmas eve we always go up takaka hill and steal a couple of branches for our xmas tree. i'm not sure if it's actually illegal and i'm not sure how it started but we always get a lot of laughs from the people driving along the road. no-one seems to mind.

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 7:55am
oh i remember my parents doing the stocking at the end of the bed (though i think it was a decorated pillow case, still did the job) might do that one too.
So when does everyone thing is a good age to start things like leaving out cookies. When do they really start to understand all that? Must go and buy a christmassy book we can read
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 10:12am
OOoh, my nephew got angry at me for putting out beer for santa   - "drinking and driving Auntie, thats naughty."
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 10:56am

We are doing the cookies and beer (only because DH told Andrew thats what Santa wants) this year. Andrew seems to be quite into xmas this year which surprises me as I thought he was still a bit too young to understand it all. I still have my stocking at my parents place and my mum still puts stuff in it for me, i'm 25 and still get my stocking from Santa . Andrew is very ucky and gets 2 stockings one from us and one at my parents place.

One thing that has now had to stop with lunch due to my father, is we all had $1 instant kiwi's at our seat. Whoever won the most money got a little prize (usually chocolates) as well as the money. Its going to be a little sad see that one go as for the past 2 years I have been the winner.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 1:52pm
Putting the Christmas tree and decorations up all together is our new tradition, it's a lot of fun. We did it all together one night after an early tea but Briona missed the end of it because she was too ready for bed.

On Christmas Day we'll all get up, hopefully we'll have breakfast and dress as usual or I might keel over , presents straight after that which allows a bit of play time for the girls before we go out for Christmas lunch and afternoon at one of their grandparents' homes. We've just started alternating: whoever misses out on Christmas Day gets us for New Years Day.

We're thinking of getting party poppers and hats and pudding and sparkling grape juice for New Years Day dinner (or maybe the night after if it's all too much)... mostly because this New Years we are going to my parents' home and DH especially feels that he'll be bored to tears and need some proper celebration to finish off the holidays with!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 2:47pm
hhm we never had the stocking at the end of the bed, our mum used to makeus get up and have brekkie, get dressed and do the housework first before opening pressies(that sounds bad.. lol.. but there were enough of us that if we hauled butt then it got done) but i do see, why, cos otherwise we looked terrible in photos, and none of us could be bothered once the pressies were open, it makes sense now lol. I usually let the girls open their stockings and 2 pressies (try and make one of them their xmas clothes) then they get dressed and have some brekkie and we do the rest... stuff the housework though, it's one day, it can wait. lol    

We had been going to do the santa and cookies and stocking at the end of the bed thing, but am unsure how paris will go with that, at this stage i have told her that Santa magics the presents down as he flies over.. she has a bit of a fear of most men, including santa, so i think telling her he comes into the house or her bedroom may be a bit of a fearful thing for her more than exciting.

We do plan to put something from us, at the end of each of their beds.. The first thing paris will see is her bike, have yet to decide what will go at the end of Ayja's.. hopefully might keep em quiet for a couple seconds longer so we can sleep a bit considering i won't get home till near midnight, let alone sticking the pressies out!

Our xmas traditions would be going out to look around all the xmas lights, we download the lists off the internet of all the homes in our area, and off we go. In fact we are going tonight and our neighbours are coming along with... Paris always loves them, and Ayja usually falls asleep halfway though so it's a nice quiet time after that!

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

yalanna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yalanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 2:56pm
Mum always made sure that we had a big breakfast to stop us eating all the rubbish we got for xmas all at once. Now it has graduated to bacon & eggs and strawberries & croissants, which DH's family has also adopted, YUM
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 8:31pm
LMAO Liz - Santa must get pretty drunk coz we leave beer out too And a carrot for the reindeer. And we leave the stocking in the living room - too scared to try and sneak pressies into it in her bedroom in case I wake her up! This year there will be 3 stockings in our house

We usually have Santa pressies first thing in the morning, then church (unless we go to midnight mass, but haven't since having kids) then open the tree presents once the rest of the family arrive. Coming from good old English stock we always have the big cooked lunch around 2pm and it usually goes on till dinner time by which time everyone is asleep on the couch.

Another tradition I have started this year is an Advent calendar. Mum and Dad bought Maya a gorgeous hand carved one in Vienna that has little drawers in it so I have put a tree decoration in each drawer and every day since Dec 1st she has opened a drawer and put her decoration on the tree. The twins have them too but I haven't had the time or energy to do theirs, and I figure they don't care yet.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
 Post Reply Post Reply