FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedday sleeps in big bed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: day sleeps in big bed
    Posted: 09 May 2005 at 5:46pm
Just wondering if anybody has some tips on how to make this easier. I have decided that i should start gabriel in a bed now but only for day sleeps (its how i did the basinnet to cot transition) and then just before bub arrives try him at night too. the bed is the bottom bunk in the other room and i have a safety rail. i think tho that it wont stop him getting out of the bed... Am wondering if maybe i should wait till the baby is here and then try him in the bed or will that make him feel rejected - am not even sure if he is going to be jealous of the baby and dont want to make him feel bad...maybe he is too young all together as he is 18 months in two days time... any thoughts or suggestions anyone?

Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 8:25pm
I don't think he is too young. Maya was around 19-20 mths I think when I moved her into a bed. I did it cold turkey tho. She went to daycare one morning and came home and her cot was gone and she had a new bed. I bought some really cool duvet covers for her with animals and teddy bears etc. to make the bed look appealing. We had a few issues with her getting out, but every time she got out I quietly put her back in and she eventually got the message.

I would start now or soonish coz baby coming will be a big enough transition for him without being booted out of his cot. Or maybe wait till after baby is born until bubs outgrows the bassinette if you are worried about Gabriel being too young.

Good luck tho!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 8:55pm
we started paris in a big bed at 11 months.. so she wasn't able to get out by herself yet. do you usually use a safety sleep? if so, keep using that, not only will it keep him in (sounds terrible i know) but for paris we found it was kinda a comfort thing for her, having something secure around her tummy.

maybe beforehand, you could spend time on the bed, reading books, gettinghim used to it as a nice place to lie and relax etc, then after a few days do the nap thing. try choosing a day where he is just so tired he will sleep no matter what, give him all his familiar toys, and maybe stay with him if he finds it hard to settle, and when he wakes, go to him straight away, praise him, say how neat it is that he had a sleep in a big bed.. how it must be comfy cos he had a big sleep.. all that kinda stuff (the stuff that makes you think in your head "i sound like i'm nuts" lol) then the next day remind him about yesterday, and offer him the choice of doing it again.. make it exciting so he doesn't get all worried by it.

with new things with Paris we try and make it seem as exciting and neat as possible.. and it usually makes her eager to try it.. not always a sure fire trick, but it helps. we have gone through some interesting stuff as she learnt to get out of bed.. and for a while when she was falling out (old cot matress on floor comes in handy) but for the most part.. she has been fine.. and sleeps better in the big bed than her cot cos she has more room.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 8:59pm

yeah we done the cold turkey thing too.It helps to have a special duvet cover to make the sleeps more comfortable (my opinion only).we got Xander a nemo duvet cos at that time it was his fav dvd.now its toy story and spongebob lol.

I had thought of keeping the cot assembled but lack of room kiled that idea.do wot u feel is right for u and ur boy.

our next hurdle is when to start Xander at daycare cos we dont want him to feel like we r getting rid of him 3 days a week cos of the new baby.We have to have the money too so we r thinking bout leaving it for a few more weeks so he gets used to his lil sister being here.hmmmmmmm decisions decisions.

BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 9:11pm
we are like that too becs.. i think sending paris in the mornings still will be good for her, and keep us both sane, but at the same time i don't want her thinking "they're sending me here, and then the baby stays at home with mum" also, she will be moving to the over-twos section soon after baby.. dunno if that's good, cos she will be in a separate part to baby and therefore not have to share caregivers.. or bad, cos all her caregivers will change and be different and new to her.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 9:25pm
the lady at where we r sending Xander said he will go straight to the ova 2s cos he is almost 2 anyway.I was hoping to get him in there before babe was here but maybe that wouldnt of been a good idea anyway?
BECS

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:37am
We purposely started Jayden at Kindy a couple of months before abby was due, As I had the same worry about him feeling like he was being pushed out. Turns out I think I could have sent him any time as he was so ready to start. I think he kind of liked the time with kids his own age and while he's there he doesn't have worry about a baby and a busy mum. If they are really secure at home I don't think you'll have a major problem. As it's a good getaway for them to.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 6:40am
As for the under and over two's Janine, check with your daycare centre.In most of the childcare centres I worked in they still allowed children who had just moved to visit them in the under twos to help with tranisiton. They may also be a little more lenient as you have bubs on the was as well.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 10:14am
Maya has just made the transition to the Over 2's and it has been a bit stressful, but overall she is pretty happy. It was easier for her I think because a lot of her little friends 'graduated' to the O2's at the same time so she has buddies to play with. The hard part is that she had been in the U2's since she was 5 mths so it was all she remembered. But they do let her visit, and the U2 teachers come across and see the kids sometimes which is nice too.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 12:56pm
Yep we went cold turkey with the bed with ALyssa, She was about 16 months. We put her in her new big girls room and her new big girls bed. She slept in it really well from the start. But we did have to get tough and close her bedroom door as she started to come out. We did a big fuss as well getting her a special duvet etc. she loves her big girl bed.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 1:24pm
paris tried the getting out of bed thing for a while a couple of months back.. we would just go, and put her back in to bed, tuck her in say "i love you, go to sleep" and leave. sometimes it would be every 5 mins, for an hour.. and left us getting pretty irritable, but
I think, after a few nights of us just doing that, she got bored and decided that it was easier to just go to sleep.. lol, even on the times where she had gotten all her toys out of bed with her and dragged them into the hall and sat looking through the door at us.. we just bundled them all back to bed, said the same thing and left. what frustrating parents we must be...

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 2:00pm
Maya's big thing a few weeks ago was getting dressed after I put her to bed. So I would put her down and go and sit down and relax and the next thing you know she would appear, fully dressed, nappy off and knickers on, shoes, socks the works. It was so hard not to laugh at her, she thought she was so clever. But after a few nights of getting no reaction (and waking up wet from being in knickers not a nappy) she got the message.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 4:11pm
I must be one of the lucky mums whos child hasnt gotten outta bed once being put in it?? or is it just a girl thing???
BECS

kas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 5:08pm
I put Blair in a bed at 18 months and he was fine never had any problems with him getting out i also put a pillow between the mattress and base to put the mattress on a angle to help prevent him from falling out, but he is also a tummy sleeper and doesn't really move around very much.
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 8:29pm
Ha ALyssa is a tummy sleeper also, i also have the pillow under the side of the mattress but i have to get up usually at least once a night and put her back in bed. She is usually sound asleep on the floor.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2005 at 9:14pm
we have a matress on the floor next to paris's bed.. cos she always manages to fall out head first.. and that it absolutely the most horrible sound to wake up to.. your kid's head pounding into the ground before a seconds pause, then screaming. sooo not nice.

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 7:48am
my post was ment to say once a week not once a night. We have pillows beside ALyssa's bed to cushion her fall.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 3:43pm
ours is once a night.. but she never makes it to the floor.. helps that i get up so often to go to the loo now.. but she's sucha restless sleeper.. in a double bed!!! i will hate to be her partner in years to come, she is a bed-hog!

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2005 at 6:55pm
Maya is pretty restless too. Of late I have been having to go in once or twice a night and tuck her back in. She loses her "fuzzy bubba" in the blankets and gets upset, but she settles quickly, I think she only semi-wakes up.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2005 at 9:21am
paris had woken up a couple of nights in a row, and been wet through, so we figured it was cos she was cold, working her way out of bed etc. so we put her in warmer jammies, put another blankie on the bed, and hello, no waking up, she slept through, so did we. yay. till we got her out of bed..

she had still wet through, in fact worse than before, was wet up to her armpits but since she had been so wrapped up and warm.. she never woke up. I dunno which i prefer... i think it's time to look at better night time nappies.

Edited by mum2paris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>