FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBest Brand of Crockpot to purchase..?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DonnaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Brand of Crockpot to purchase..?
    Posted: 23 July 2009 at 10:08am
I am so sick to death of my crockpot burning our dinner.. Even on the low setting, my soups boil rather than simmer - very annoying.
I think the element runs too hot - It's a Breville.

Can anyone please recommend an alternative crockpot that is brilliant..!
After recieving a $300 power bill this month - think need to stop using oven and start using crockpot.

Cheers
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 12:06pm
oooh i will be watching this thread! I had been going tos tart the exact same thing myself... We are considering buying one of these and were out looking at heaps of them yesterday, many are on special right now... so which ones do people have and which ones work nicely!?
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 6:41am
I've got a round Sunbeam one with the ceramic bowl which I bought over 20 years ago as a "second" from their factory. It's done me well but it's all I've ever used so I can't compare. I've always wondered if an oval one would be better for fitting different joints of meat? Will watch with interest too.
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:09am
Mine is also a ceramic Sunbeam one. Old school.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:42am
i have a zip and its okay - it doesnt cook soup as well as i would like but it does a mean chicken! i had a sunbeam one too and loved that. but they only do a small size   
donna maybe you should contact breville, it might be a faulty crock. we have a breville jug and they are very good at fixing problems...they sent me a new jug immediatley after i complained it leaked.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:48pm
Therew was i think a sunbeam and a kambrook one that we had been looking at, the kambrook it like 6 litres, and sunbeam is 5.5litres..
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

littlestar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlestar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 8:38am
I've got a russell hobbs one and I love it!! I have only tried soup a couple of times but I it does a great chicken. I like that its an oval shape so I can shove all sorts of things in there - half legs of lamb (on bone) and beef roasts as well as casseroles.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 8:46am
I've got a Zip one as well, and find that sometimes it boils the food close to the edges which makes me wonder if the element has been damaged.

I checked the Consumer website for you and they recommend the following:

Cascade RSSC-50
Good points
Good overall score. Very good cooking performance. Dishwasher-safe bowl and lid.
But
Very basic instructions. Round shape may not be suitable for long cuts of meat.

Kambrook KSC100

Good points
Rated best - a very good overall score. Soup was cooked perfectly. Comprehensive instructions plus recipes. Dishwasher-safe bowl and lid.
But
Small indicator light.

The Cascade ones are available at the Warehouse. This report is a 2008 one.
HTH
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2009 at 10:19am
I've got a Russell Hobbs oval one that I got thru fly buys about 2 yrs ago and I think it's fantastic!! I've been using it quite a bit to make glazed chicken pieces etc (soooo easy!!!) it easily fits 3-4 large thighs on the bottom. I would definitely reccommend an oval over a round, and make sure it has a low and high heat setting (I would think they would all have that tho), Auto setting is a bonus too.

The element for cooking is usually round the side of the unit instead of in the bottom, thats why it can boil at the sides, I found when I did Maccaroni & cheese it needed stirring more often or it stuck to the sides.

I won a sunbeam round one so I'm waiting for that to arrive to try it out too.
Lisa mummy to Ryan
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 10:57am
i have a 6 litre russell hobbs slow cooker that i got through flybuys also and it has been great! my mum has one of the round sunbeam crockpots and she has had that for years and no complaints apart from the fact that it is a bit too small to fit a lot of things in it, thats why i love my big oval one!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 10:06pm
Ours is a Cascade one, but the next one up from the one Consumer recommend - it's 7 litres and oval and huge which is just as well coz there are lots of us. I it, have had it 3 years now and use it all the time.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 12:50pm
We have a george forman oval one. its amazing!
Also have a sunbeam round one, which I don't find as great. Couldn't live without both of them though!
 Post Reply Post Reply