FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedpumpkin soup recipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bexee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bexee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pumpkin soup recipe
    Posted: 08 April 2010 at 3:37pm
Does anyone have a good pumpkin soup recipe? Would love one that freezes well, and perhaps could be made in a slow cooker.

Only requirement is that it doesn't have tomatoes.

TIA
Sponsored Links

MrsH23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsH23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 3:38pm
I just use the recipe from the Edmonds cookbook, DH loves it and so do I. It calls for potato and pumpkin and I'll sometimes add Kumara in too
Lisa mummy to Ryan
kathamill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathamill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2010 at 10:42pm
oh oh oh, a friend just told me of a way to cook pumpkin for anything, I used it for soup...

Put your bare pumpkin(I had a quarter from supermarket) onto a plate and fill the plate with water, put in the microwave for 15 - 20 mins.

Scoop out seeds with a spoon, then scoop pumpkin flesh into a bowl.

Add any other cooked veges, or frozen ones work well, and mooley up with a blender.

I add a can of coconut cream and a teaspoon of green thai chili. yum yum!!
Karey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2010 at 11:05am
This is our pumpkin soup recipe, I don't normally measure so if it looks like an ingredient is a bit much for your taste but all means put less in then taste it at the end and maybe put some more in. I do this in the crockpot but start it off in a frying pan.
You could also add kumara or parsnip.

Pumpkin Soup

1 diced onion
1 tablespoon crushed garlic (or 2-3 sliced cloves)
2 teaspoons crushed ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg (or cinnamon)
2 medium potatoes (peeled & roughly chopped)
1/2 pumpkin (peeled & roughly chopped)
Chicken stock or water

Saute onion, garlic and ginger in oil until onion is soft. Add curry powder & nutmeg and fry briefly, stirring all the time to make sure spices coat the onion.
Put onion mix in crockpot with potato & pumpkin. Pour in enough stock or water to cover veges.
Cook on low for 4-6hrs/high for 2-3 then either put through a blender or blitz with a handheld blender until it is smooth.
If cooking in a pot on the stove, once you have added the stock bring to the boil then simmer for 30-40mins or until the pumpkin is soft enough to blend.
I find chicken stock is the best stock to use but you could use vege stock if you are trying for a vegetarian option.
Depending on how much curry powder you use or how much you are used to this can have a bit of a kick to it so if you want to calm it down a bit add a bit of milk or cream when you serve it.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 10:46am
bumping this up to see if anyone else has some great pumpkin soup recipes to share...

oscarboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oscarboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 11:23am
This is the only pumpkin soup recipe I have try but think it is very yummy.

1kg pumpkin
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp instant chicken stock
2 tsp instant green herb stock
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
celery salt or fresh celery.

Put in pot pumpkin, onion, garlic and celery. Cover with water and cook. When cooked, put into blender and add stocks, sugar and nutmeg. Add water or milk if too thick. (I didn't use the celery at all as had none and found you need to use most of the water you cook the pumpkin in when you blend it to make it a good consistency). Then add a dollop of sour cream when you serve it . Enjoy.

CrazyCass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 2:27pm
We have one that makes a thick soup - it can be watered down to the right consistency with milk.

Cut top off pumpkin to make a lid (so it sits in the top)
Scoop out all seeds from lid & in pumpkin

In the pumpkin add
1 tin Reduced cream
1-2tsp crushed garlic
1 pkt onion soup
2 slices of bread - cubed
1 cup grated cheese

Mix all together in the pumpkin, put onto a baking tray (Place a bread crust under the bottom so it doesn't burn) Bake at 180 for 1.5-2hours, or until the flesh comes away from the side when it's mixed into the centre of the pumpkin - you can put the oven up higher if you are gettin impatient!

Once the flesh is coming away take pumpkin out of the oven & scoop all the flesh into the centre of the pumpkin mixing it with the reduced cream mixture... once its all mixed it can be used as a vegetable the first night, then blended with milk as a soup.

If you dont take ALL the flesh off the sides of the pumpkin you can breakdown the sides, grate cheese with a bit of curry powder on top & grill - tastey snack

Alterations
If you think its too sweet you can use the equivalent of cream instead of reduced cream, and you can dice an onion if you dont have the packet soup

Mum has been making this for years, it can be frozen either in the thick form (cubes are good as you can de-frost a couple into a cup of milk), or the thinner form.

Post Reply Post Reply