FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVegetarians - I know you’re out there!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vegetarians - I know you’re out there!
    Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:36pm
Well, I know that at least kebakat / Stacey is vegetarian, not sure who else might be lurking ??

I am on the hunt for more vege recipes to expand my repetoire with, although I do like to think I / we have a reasonable variety as is.

So any recipes or dishes that you love and links to these would be greatly appreciated
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
Sponsored Links

Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:40pm
I'm a vegetarian, and proud of it :-)

If you buy one, I would highly recommend the Veganomicon. It is a vegan cookbook, however the recipes are scrummy, and I have to go back to being a vegan after I have my baby, as my dairy allergy will rear its ugly head again (I don't eat eggs as well).

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:41pm
Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Curry with Warm Pita Bread

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
Coarse sea salt or kosher salt
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
1 bay leaf
1 ½ cups red lentils
Pita bread

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. In a saucepan or kettle, bring 3 ½ cups of water to a boil.
2. In a large saucepan over high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, and 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the sweet potato, ginger, garlic, curry powder and bay leaf and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in the boiling water and stir in the lentils. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the lentils break down and the sweet potatoes are tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Season with salt.
4. While the potatoes and lentils are cooking, wrap a stack of pita breads in a slightly damp cotton towel, and place in oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

Serves 4

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:52pm
I use Alison Holst's Meals without Meat cook book on a regular basis, and my Dh is a confirmed meat eater. I love using red kidney beans.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:57pm
hmmmmm easy stuff...

hokkien noodles
mix vege
2 tablespoons of lime juice
2 tablespoons of kecap manis (its like a sweet soy sauce)
nuts (like peanuts or pine nuts)

cook the noodles seperate and then stir fry the whole lot together, takes all of about 10 mins and really yum, we just add as much sauce as we like the taste of.
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 10:16am
I am a non red meat eater and also use the Alison Holst's meals without meat. Can post it to you if you want to have a look?

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 12:29pm
Yes please, that would be fab!

Stacey - I *love* hokkein noodle or soba noodle stir fries, especially with some delicious marinated tofu thrown in.

Deb - that curry looks delicious, I am definitely going to give it a go!
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 12:34pm
I've never been a fan of tofu. The texture is just lol...

But I am a fan of hokkein noodles too. Kecap manis is great with the noodles. Yum yum
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 12:46pm
I got the meals without meat book cheap on trademe I'm definitely a meat eater, but its a really good book. Most of my vegetarian recipes are from there.
surfergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 12:57pm

We are not vegetarian but eat vegetarian meals at least three times a week.

We do lots of mexican - I LOVE beans, so beans on rice, burittos, nachos, tacos all with kidney beans or refried beans instead of meat.

Also quiche (from the meals without meat) and salad. Baked potatoes and coleslaw. Stir Fry (with udon noodles or rice).

Then anything pasta - lasagne, canneloni, etc and various 'what have we got in the fridge' with a can of tomatoes! I also like to do pasta with creamy sauce and avoid a few of the calories by using evaporated milk instead of cream. Lots of mushrooms.

I do swear by Meals without Meat tho. It's the best vege cookbook by far!

josephnia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 1:06pm
I'm not a vegetarian but like to have at least one meat free day a week. Here are a couple of my favs-

Spanikopita
500gm frozen spinach
1 pkt crumbled feta
250gm lite cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated tasty cheese
1 small finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 egg
nutmeg and oregano to taste
salt and pepper

Mix altogether. Lay out 4-5 sheets of filo pastry - brush with melted butter or spary with oil between sheets. Roll into a cigar shape. Brush with butter or spray oil. Bake @ 200 c til brown. Serve with tsatziki and rice.

Burritos

Bean Mix-
1 onion diced
1 capsicum diced
2 tins red kidney beans
1 tin 4 bean mix
2 tin chilli beans (the ones in sauce)
1 tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp garlic
salt and pepper

Cook onion, capsicum and garlic. Mash kidney beans and 4 bean mix. Add to onion mix with the rest of the ingredients.

Salsa-

1 onion diced
1 capsicum diced
2 tbsp garlic
2 tins crushed tomatoes
Thai chilli sauce/ chilli powder to taste
salt and pepper

Cook onion, garlic and capsicum. Add rest of the ingredients and simmer.

To assemble-

We make pancakes or you could use packet burritos or wraps, fill with the bean mix, chopped fresh tomato, shredded lettuce and grated cheese. Roll up and put cheese on the top and grill. Top with the salsa and sour cream or Greek yoghurt.

This one is great for people who like meat as well because it's very satisfying and kind of 'meaty'
Mazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 1:14pm
Bizzy that curry recipe sounds yum! And really quick. Will have to try it this week.

We're not a vegetarian family but I like to try and do 1-2 vegetarian meals a week. Cost effective and yummy. Will be watching this thread with interest - good tip about the book!
Mum to two gorgeous girls!
 Post Reply Post Reply