FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCourgettes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Courgettes
    Posted: 10 November 2010 at 1:18pm

Ok so this in anticipation of my two courgette plants producing huge numbers of courgettes (I've never grown them before so that might be rather hopeful!).

I need great ideas for using them please...

Sponsored Links

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2010 at 2:39pm
I love courgettes.

We have them in long strips, chopped in half and cooked in a fry pan with garlic. Or you can boil them and melt a little bit of butter on them.

I usually chop them up and add them to things like curries, stews, pasta dishes, stirfries, anything really!

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2010 at 5:41pm

Slice thinly (length ways) and throw them on the bbq grill side. Brush with olive oil and garlic. Yummo!

If they get to huge marrow like monsters then you can scoop out the flesh and stuff them - I do mine with greek style lamb mince and rice!

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2010 at 10:44pm
Oooh yes, stuffed marrows! DH does them with drained tinned tomatoes inside, yum!

Cut them into little cubes, and eat them raw in salads, also very yum!

Zucchini bread - tried it once last year, and its very nice, tastes more like a cake really.

Zucchini relish - haven't tried any recipes yet, but sounds nice!
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 8:02am
There was a recipe on good morning the other day for a Chocolate Zucchini cake! I am hoping to get lots of them as well this year.
ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 9:39am
Further to Red's above post, here are the Zucchini Recipes on Good Morning

MrsFred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsFred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 9:47am
We grow zucchini every year and I love them as a sort of hybrid potatoe hash cake as you can have them with poached eggs and hollandaise as a twist on eggs bene or just serve them with a nice relish (ow and bacon )
Just grate a few, dry off between a tea towel to reduce moisture content, add an egg or 2 depending on quantity to combine, salt, pepper and I like to add a bit of parmesan. Fry off as fritters in a pan and voila!
Note: don't play around with them in the pan too much or they'll fall apart.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 12:37pm
Yum!  Thanks guys.  Now of course I'm hoping the plants do lots of growing so I can try all these.
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 3:03pm
Bake them with onions and tomatoes.
Bottom layer of courgettes cut chunky, then onion cut into rings then tomatoes cut into rings with salt, pepper and a bit of butter. Takes about 45 mins. Really yummy.
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 5:14pm
I've seen carrot cake recipes with zucchini as a substitute for the carrot.

I also used two chopped in a spinach/ricotta/pine nut lasagna on the weekend, it was so good!

kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 3:04pm
Slice them lengthways with a mandolin or a wide potato peeler and use them instead of pasta in a lasagne. The kids don't even notice.

ETA that it makes a good gluten free alternative too

Edited by kiwi2
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 2:45pm
cream them with scallops! apparently its yum - have made it for my fam but I dont eat scallops
http://lilypie.com]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 7:34pm
do you have a recipe Raspberry jam?  I love scallops!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 7:38pm
My Mum used to make awesome zuchini muffins.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:48pm
This is quite a funny recipe, the dudes a bit odd, I just added a grated courgette at the same time as each batch of scallops - great way to make them go further and they cook for the same amount of time, and I didnt use tomatoes and only half the basil.
Press as much liquid as you can out of the scallops before frying - otherwise they will boil the scallops and make them tough

To make Sea Scallops in Cream Sauce, you'll need:

One and a half pounds of sea scallops
Flour to coat the scallops
Salt to season the scallops
Black pepper to season the scallops
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
6 plum tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
2 cloves of garlic
6 heaping tablespoons of fresh basil
Three-quarters of a cup of heavy cream
One loaf of French bread

This is a delicious dish. The cream sauce has a lot of flavor to it, and the strips of plum tomato and fresh basil give it a festive look. The basil adds a nice shading to the taste.

To prepare, wash the scallops thoroughly, to remove any sand that might be creased into their white flesh. Then wash them thoroughly again. Nothing spoils a scallop dish more than the grit of sand between your teeth.

Wrap the wet scallops in paper towels, gently tumbling them around within the paper like fat blind babies, to dry them.

Put a quarter cup of flour in a paper or plastic bag, then drop the heavy scallops inside, using your hand to close the top of the bag, like shutting off air to a throat, tossing the scallops sideways until they're lightly coated with the flour.

Heat a skillet to medium heat, and once it's reached that temperature, place a tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet, and melt in that oil two tablespoons of butter.

Once the butter is fully melted down to yellow bubbles, gently place the floured scallops into the skillet, sautéing them on both sides until they're cooked. Since scallops cook quickly, this should only take a minute or two on each plump side.

Don't crowd the scallops in the skillet. You may have to cook them in two or three batches. Since scallops come in different sizes, remember that large scallops will take slightly longer to cook than medium scallops.

Remove the cooked scallops to a plate, and season them with salt and pepper. Seafood is known for "taking a lot of salt", but be careful not to sprinkle them with too much salt at this point. If you eat raw tomatoes, use about as much salt on a scallop as you would on a tomato wedge.

Add the remaining olive oil and butter to the skillet, and while the butter melts, slice the plum tomatoes into half-inch slices, and add to the skillet.

Rinse the fresh parsley under cold water to get out any grit, mince two tablespoons worth, and add to the skillet.

Mince the two cloves of garlic, and add.

Cook until you smell the aroma of the garlic, under one minute.

Pour the heavy cream into the skillet.

Reduce the cream, until it coats the back of a wooden spoon, about three or four minutes (or longer. Don't go by minutes. Go by how long it takes for the cream to coat the back of the spoon).

Julienne the fresh basil (cut the basil leaves into thin strips about a half inch wide), and add to the sauce.

Put the scallops back in the skillet. Bathe with the sauce and let simmer about two minutes.

Taste the sauce at this point for seasoning. You may find you need to add a little more salt.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:51pm
jeepers didnt realise it would come up so huge!

also, I would make a yummy roasted summer vege salad - with peppers, cougettes, tomatoes, pumpkin or kumara - could make it a pasta salad or serve with feta crumbled over it or with bbq meats and hollandaise sauce mmm yum hollandaise

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 5:00pm
Oh yum Raspberry jam!  I missed your post - gonna try this at some stage - it looks delish!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 8:45pm
Courgettes go with anything imo, I use them in curries, stews, stir fries, steamed veges on the side, roasted...
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 7:39pm
When I have heaps (like at the moment, and I only have one plant!) I grate them into everything - mince for pasta dishes, corn fritters, savoury muffins etc. Good way to get an extra vege into everyone
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:05am
Fritters, I made some the other day for lunch, yummo!!!

Post Reply Post Reply