FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMedication

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BabyOnBoard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medication
    Posted: 26 January 2008 at 3:37pm
My counsellor sent me to the Dr's to go on anti boitics but both times I have been my Dr has been away and I have had to see the locum. He said I can't take them whilst breast feeding and I should give it up to take the meds
I really don't want to give up breast feeding . . Is there any other ways (klike naturally) I can help myself?
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 3:53pm

Are you talking about taking meds for PND??

There are some that you can take while BF.

But I have been told that EPO is good for mental health.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 4:58pm
St John's wort is a good natural anti-depressant too.
Its very gentle and ok while breastfeeding.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 5:49pm
Yes for PND

I think I may have to go back to the Dr again and try and see my actual GP.
Thanks will try those

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 7:18pm

Ask Kels as she is still BF and is taking meds. But it also has to be good for you to take. I know that you can't take Fluox (thats what i'm on) when BF.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 7:20pm
I am a little confused too - antibiotics and antidepressants are two different cans of worms when breastfeeding. There are a quite a few antidepressants out there that are OK while breastfeeding, and of course some that are not - I guess it depends on the severity of the problem too.

St Johns Wort is great for mild depression, but there are only a few studies out there on what effects it may have whilst breastfeeding - and nothing really concrete IMO.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 8:36pm
I can't take fluox anyway.
Thanks for the help, might go see the Dr again
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 9:07pm

Originally posted by BabyOnBoard BabyOnBoard wrote:

My counsellor sent me to the Dr's to go on anti boitics

Do you mean your counsellor sent you to the GP for antibiotics or antidepressents??

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 11:27pm
Oh my goodness!! I didn't even realise I said that! I am so embarrassed!!
I meant antidepressants. And the baby brain continues

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 11:40pm

Don't worry it happens to all of us.

I am sure that your dr would be able to give you something to help you and still be able to BF if you want to.

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 2:06pm

Yep there are quiet a few antidepressants that are safe to bfeed with. I am still bfeeding and taking AD. I have been taking them while preg and up unitl he was 3mths. HAd a stint with nothing which wasnt the brightest idea Ive had and went back on them when he was around 8mths. I would write a copliant about the GP who told you to stop Bfeeding, also about the lack of support for starting AD while bfeeding. Goodluck!!

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 12:41pm
Why can't you take fluox while b/f? It's just the generic prozac. I was prescribed that at about 36 weeks to take right through to 5months old, no talk of it being bad for b/f or anything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 2:12pm

Its not always suited to everyone. My DH wasn't allowed to take it when he had to go on meds last year.

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 5:58pm

You can take it but it secreted into the breastmilk at a higher does than others are. Aropax are the best to take while preg/breastfeed and citalopram. I was put changed from fluox to citalopram while preg  and then due to Alize having a reaction went onto aropax, I couldnt take that  either so am back on Fluox but only because I am only bfeeding once maybe twice a day, so Alize wil only be gettting minimial exposure to the drug.

Post Reply Post Reply