FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWellington - toddler friendly suburbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellington - toddler friendly suburbs
    Posted: 17 August 2010 at 12:40pm
Hi all Wellingtonians and x-Wellingtonians - I need your help!

18 months ago we moved to NZ and started out life as a family (Mummy, Daddy and son now aged 1) in Auckland. Just as we're making good friends we're off again, this time to Wellington. Everyone says it's a great city so I'm looking forward to it but I am at a loss as to where to live.

I am very spoiled at the moment living in a suburb (Ponsonby) that is heaven for me and my 1 year old. We are 10 mins walk from Daddy's work, 10 mins walk from a dozen playgrounds, 3 libraries a short drive away, playgroups galore etc etc. I would love your advice about where in Wellington has great facilities for a full time mum and her toddler. I know nothing at all about it having only ever spent 3 days there so will be overjoyed with any and all advice! Close to the city (Dad's work) would be ideal.

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links

crakars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crakars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 10:02pm
We live in Island bay - its reletivley flat (for wellington) - 10-15 mins drive to center of town - has a few playgroups, music class, library, playcentre - great playground and a beach - we love it - also has alot of other mums and bubs everywhere
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2010 at 12:01pm
I live in Upper Hutt

Its not central Wellington so there isnt heaps of traffic etc. But its only a 30-40 minute drive into central wellington or 45minutes commute on the train.

Housing is cheaper in Upper Hutt, you could get a lovely 3/4 bdrm home with garaging etc for the same price you would get a 1 or 2 bdrm unit in Wellington

Its a very child friendly place. Library, pools, playgroups, there are playgroups at the kids gym. etc. Also most things are on the bus route too.

Where abouts in Wellington will your partner be working?

Another choice could be Petone. Its only 10 minutes from Wellington & right by the beach
RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 1:27pm
Brilliant thanks for the tips ladies, my hubby's working right in the city,

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 7:30pm
We live in Island Bay and it's awesome. It's a family friendly suburb, with plenty of activities for the kids.
When we moved to the suburb last year, we settled very quickly.

There's a direct bus into town that takes about 15 mins I think. We take the girls on it quite a bit and they love it.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 7:57pm
Most Wellington suburbs are extremely family friendly. We have an abundance of organized groups and activities and generally wherever you live there are several playgrounds close by. Public transport is great in Wellington too and always a novelty for the kids.

We live in Tawa which is full of young families and about the same distance from town as island bay but in the opposite direction.

Check out www.feelinggreat.co.nz which has list of Wellington groups, classes, activities and venues and you may get an idea of the suburbs you want to live in or close to.
KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 10:26am
Ha so you will be our competition in the rental market! hehehe we are moving back to welly next week.

We should hook up for a coffee :)

We have found the rental market interesting. Island Bay is my pick, or in the Sothern Suburbs, but we have found so little in terms of nice houses, ie- dry, sunny, warm, kid friendly, affordable. Then someone said to me the other day there was a 2 year waiting list for the local playgroup/kindy.... I never factored that in either. I havent explored that yet, thought Id wait till we were there... but something else to consider.

Petone is as costy as welly now which is a shame. Lower Hutt has some nice bits by the hills- native bush etc.

Basically Im in the same boat as you though.

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 12:28pm

I think most of Welly is family friendly....we're in Tawa now which is AWESOME for families and has terrific schools(including Montessori), but I've also grown up and lived in Upper and Lower Hutt as well as Petone....all of which have great public transport and nice family feelings about them

Kitkat- oooohhh *we* should hook up for coffee when you get here!!!!! May mama's unite hehe

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 5:58pm
Sounds great!!

We lookn at Tawa too.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 6:40pm

Tawa was not my top pick for somewhere to live, infact I almost didn't even bother coming to look at this house because I was quite certain I would not find anything I liked in Tawa.  I've been here for nearly 3 years now.

For anyone that is interested in the Tawa area here's the website http://www.tawalink.com/

The trick to finding a good house in Wellington is to look for somewhere North facing.  Generally speaking it's sunnier, drier and more sheltered although you have to forgo sea views.

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 7:19pm
We were the same MrsMojo- I thought I might die of boredom in Tawa (having lived here 10 years ago). But no! For families it's terrific and so close to everything. We walk everywhere and I find everyone so very friendly. Plus our house has a lovely big section and is sunny and great for BBQs lol. Priorities aye

KitKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KitKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:52am
OMG it has its own website!

LOL!!! heheheheeeeee thats funny for some reason.
bun_in_the_oven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun_in_the_oven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2010 at 10:29am
Miramar... its in the eastern suburbs.. very family friendly.. a library, good cafes, garden centres, new world.. house prices mid-range.

15 mins to the city.

Good Luck with your big move !
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 2:13pm
I was in Island Bay until a year ago and recommend that as others have. Now we are in Khandallah and I like that for its easy access into and out of the city. Plenty of good playgroups, kindys, schools, parks, libraries and other activities close by.
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2010 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by KitKat KitKat wrote:

H Then someone said to me the other day there was a 2 year waiting list for the local playgroup/kindy....

This is for the Owhiro bay Kindy/daycare. I had hoped to send my girls there when they turn 4 as it's adjacent to the school but apparently there's no chance.
It only opened last year so as a result they will only be losing 3 kids to school this year.

The Island Bay kindy is a bit more normal for waiting time.
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 11:51am
we live in petone and it is amazing. it takes DH 10 mins (by motorbike) to get to work every morning and a 15 min drive for me to get to uni. there are heaps of cafes and stuff plus a couple laygrounds, rugby field for running round, beach 2 mins away, petone train station which buses run from as well as trains on the upper hutt and melling line which means they go all the time. i can be pricey but not necissarily. i used to live in tawa but hated it so much. i tend to avoid parent and coffee groups so there was just nothing for me there. petone has quite a cool little art culture and stuff and all the shops are on a big main road so you can go walking even when it is raining cos it is undercover. its also got pack'n'save and westfield mall is 4 mins drive away so you can go wondering without having to go in to the city and being crushed by ppl

RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 1:02pm
Wow thanks for all the advice this is brilliant! Some great websites and suburbs to check out. We've been told there are some good deals going on apartments in the city at the moment so thinking we might take a 6 month lease while we get to know our way round. Will definitely check out all the suburbs mentioned. And to the ladies who have suggested meeting up - yes please that would be great. I'll be moving in December so probably get in touch in january. Getting excited now!

Post Reply Post Reply