FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHamilton Conman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamilton Conman
    Posted: 27 May 2009 at 3:10pm
Hamilton police are warning people to watch out for a "smooth-talking" conman peddling a hard-luck story.

He claims either his girlfriend or child has an illness and he needs to take them to Napier for treatment – but his car has run out of petrol.

He promises to pay back any cash borrowed and sometimes offers a laptop bag as collateral.

The man was described as European, in his early 20s, about 170cm tall, and of slim build.

He is tanned with medium-length dark hair and a mole on the left side of his face.

Anyone approached by the man was asked to contact police.

Same story

I am posting this because as soon as I read it I called the police.

This man approached me about a month ago in the Victoria Street Accident and Medical centre carpark.

He was really really frantic trying to get money out of me because he needed to get to starship with his partner and child and had no petrol.

What made me think it was really strange is because he said he only needed $6!

I didn't think anything of it at the time but now realise that he is going around doing it to lots of people.

I helped!   Cause the police said they hadn't had any reports of him doing it that far back.
Sponsored Links

BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 4:29pm
oh what a f###kn low life he is!!!!!!!!!!

i was approached by a guy with a similar sob story in tauranga a few years back but i smelt a rat and wouldnt give him a cent!

good on you for reporting him Renee!! and its good to put it up here incase some other hammies hadnt heard of it.
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 5:57pm
oooo thanks for the heads up.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 6:41pm
The link is a bit funny: story link

We have a woman like that in Palmy. DH and I see her a lot. She usually asks for money for medical supplies or groceries. Friends of ours suggested that if we wanted to help someone like that (who we thought was genuine), offer to drive them to the shop and then pay. I thought that was a brilliant idea lol.
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2009 at 7:32pm
Oops, you're right, I put it as an e-mail address rather than a URL.    Preggy brain strikes again!
 Post Reply Post Reply