FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedParacetamol and asthma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paracetamol and asthma
    Posted: 18 September 2008 at 8:40pm
Saw a brief mention of this on the news tonight and thought I'd look it up. According to research about to be published, children who are regularly given paracetamol in the first year of life are up to 25% more likely to develop asthma.

My wee boy is already more susceptible to asthma and wheezing type illnesses due to family history and having breathing difficulties when he was born, so I try to keep an eye on these things.

However one of the experts in the story I've linked to had a very good point:
"There are a number of early life infections that have been linked to increased risk of asthma. So in this type of observational study it is hard to separate whether it is the paracetamol or the underlying infection, for which the paracetamol was given, that is the cause for the increased risk of asthma... It is important to remember that high fevers in babies can have some very serious consequences. Paracetamol is very useful in managing high fevers in these kids. I would be very worried if these results stopped parents and doctors giving paracetamol to manage high fevers in young children."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, huh...

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Sponsored Links

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 8:59pm
Gosh what a difficult one! I guess it may help people to stop and think before giving paracetamol, so its only given when babies really need it. Although its sad to think of them suffering unnecessarily Another tough decision to throw into the parenting loop
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 9:03pm
Yup, I saw this on the news. It's worrying for me as both gremlins have paracetamol on a very regular basis, at least once a week, due to the pain their ears cause so they have high exposure to it. That said, they haven't shown any signs of respiratory problems in any form, unlike Chiara who has only had one dose of paracetamol in her life. She fits into the pre-existing category tho - she only needed the paracetamol coz she had a fever from pneumonia which affects her lungs anyway.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 9:31pm
i would think it was more related to the symptoms which paracetemol was treating.

also with things like ibuprofen and asprin, if you DO have asthma, these medications can inflame the bronchial tubes making asthma worswe. paracetemol is then the safest choice.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2008 at 9:45pm
yeah, I heard that and thought "oh great!"  What next?  did you also hear that we have had some chinese made formula on our shelves too?  You really cant win.
 Post Reply Post Reply