FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfree gp visit for "high-needs" pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: free gp visit for "high-needs" pregnancy
    Posted: 20 August 2010 at 2:52pm
Free GP visit trial for women with high-needs pregnancy

Women classed as having a high-needs pregnancy will be eligible for a free GP visit as part of two demonstration projects announced on 19 August 2010 by health minister Tony Ryall in press release. The Canterbury and Wairarapa DHB projects aim to “provide high-needs pregnant women with the option of an extra free consultation with their GP which can also be attended by their midwife or obstetrician,” says Mr Ryall. The three-way meeting is part of a planned suite of initiatives to improve collaboration between midwives and GPs for these women’s overall maternity and primary healthcare. (Find a GP.) If the lead maternity carer cannot attend, they will be informed of any decisions made at the meeting. Women who may benefit for this extra visit are likely to have ongoing medical and/or mental health conditions and/or unhealthy lifestyles that are most appropriately managed by their GP. Services that are likely to be accessed include quit smoking initiatives, Green Prescriptions for exercise and lifestyle improvements, primary mental health services and chronic care management services. The demonstration project is scheduled to run to December 2011 when, after an evaluation, a decision to roll it out nationwide will be made
Sponsored Links

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 3:00pm
Makes sense that women that have medical issues should involve their GP in their pregnancy with their midwife.

I used to ask my midwife to collaborate with my GP about medical issues that could potentially affect my pregnancy - glad that these will be free for some women now.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2010 at 8:51pm
Will they have a list available somewhere of all the things that make a pregnant women fall into the 'high-needs' catergory? Not that it really matters for me as my GP IS my LMC lol!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Post Reply Post Reply