FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby given wrong vaccine has cancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby given wrong vaccine has cancer
    Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:45am
This is so so sad. I'm really annoyed they are not properly investigating whether the vaccine given to him is responsible when they have no idea what it would do to a 6 week old male baby or what interaction it would have with the other vaccines given to the baby that day.

I really hope this poor little boy manages to pull through.

link

Sponsored Links

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 2:12pm
It is a sad story but I am not sure where it says that it hasn't been investigated?

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 3:02pm
Meanwhile they want their concerns about a possible link between the Gardasil vaccination mistake and Chace's leukaemia acknowledged. "It's not a crazy theory," Mrs Topperwien said.

Waikato District Health Board medical officer of health Dr Felicity Dumble said she did not believe there would be a link between Gardasil and leukaemia.

However, she said it was important cases such as Chace's be monitored and researched to establish if there was a possible association.

That to me doesn't read like they are investigating or have investigated. More like cases like his should be monitored, well are they actually doing that or just saying they should be? It also sounds like she has already decided there is no link, I'm not sure what that is based on cos it doesn't seem like it's based on research more just her assumption that the vaccine would be safe to give to a 6 week old baby even though it's not designed for babies.
Also it says the parents want their concerns acknowledged, if it had been investigated then they would have been acknowledged wouldn't they?

Would be nice if they had commented on the actual accident and the steps being taken to ensure other babies aren't given the wrong vaccines.

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 2:06pm
I can't believe that he was given the wrong vaccine, that is very poor - I hope someone was held accountable for that.

I'm not sure how much research could go into this, hopefully there are not many baby boys being given a vaccine intended for teenage girls but gosh, I wouldn't just rule it out like that.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 7:44pm
It's been cleared for use in boys/young men in the US, is actually being recommended as much as for girls now. I'm not sure what the age is but I do know that there is one death of a 10 year old boy given gardasil along with a cocktail of others, the US seem to give gardasil from as young as 9 despite it not being tested in prepubescent children.
All research around gardasil leaves a lot to be desired

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 11:29pm
That's terrible!
At my GP they have 2 nurses check and sign off on vaccines before they are given, the same at our previous Gp too. I'd assumed that was standard practice.
It is shocking that a mistake like that can happen.
That poor family, not that it will change anything for them now but I'd be wanting more investigation too.

Gardasil seems like a pretty dodgy vaccine to me.
I've got a good few years to think about it for my daughter yet, but everything I've been able to find on it so far has been less than reassuring.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2011 at 10:52am

Yep Mel when I was practice nursing we always got vaccine ready then had it checked by another nurse or GP against the schedule for what we were giving for the age, batch number and expiry date so how the hell that happened is beyond me. And this is standard ppractice for anyone certified as an vaccinator. you dont just get to do if you are a nurse you have to have vaccinator qualifications...sounds like there were none here. If I were the parents I would be out for blood regardless if it was proven there was a link or not the fact remains SOMEONE was neglegent (sp?)

Different note My DD15yrs had her gardasil last year. Only problem she had was it was a series of 3 that she wasnt happy with it.. She got over it and celebrated the end of last injection once she came too (she faints with any needles) lol

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
 Post Reply Post Reply