FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDrop in Kindy Enrolments "Startling"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drop in Kindy Enrolments "Startling"
    Posted: 27 January 2010 at 9:57am
Herald Article

Makes me wonder if sessional kindy will be available for my kids in a couple of years time! I am such a fan of this style of early learning, it will be so sad if it changes.

The statement that it's normally 'wealthy' parents that stay at home guts me as well, we have made some fairly large sacrifices in order for me to stay at home, and are certainly not wealthy. I guess they'll be prepping for a fee increase for sessions... wait and see, I guess!
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:28am
fancy that - i'm a wealthy parent.. whatever!!!

i spoke to the head teacher at my kids kindy about this last year. She is reluctant to go all day and said that even tho their philosophy would be the same the length of time they had the kids would impact on that. There would have to be more structure in place for a start.

to me there was always a big difference between daycare and kindy and i would hate for the kindy environment to change to more of a daycare one.

PS - i Love my kindy and the teachers, they are a great resource for me as a parent and even help with the kids who arent attending. I would hate for Eden to miss out on the kindy experience.

Edited by Bizzy

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 11:20am
Wow - yeah we're rich too NOT! I too love Kindy - well I loved it while I was there. Although we're leaving NZ this year, I'm happy to find that day-care isn't anywhere near as popular where we are going as it is here. There are small play-groups and pre-schools similar to our kindergartens here. Very sad to read that article. Although I'm not hugely surprised.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 2:01pm
That is a shame. While we will probably never send our kids to kindy (unless MIL wants to take them on the days she looks after them), I loved it as a kid. The only reason we won't send them there is what is stated in the article - we need all-day care.

Unfortunately it's a sign of the times with fewer mothers staying at home, especially when kids get to the age of 3.
sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 3:39pm
I think its a real shame that the traditonal knidy sessions are at risk. Lets hope that they don't go completely. I am guessing that if the worst comes to the worst that you can decide how long and often your wee one goes.
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 4:08pm
sweetpea thats exactly what happens out ours. Being rural and only one of two centres, to help locals, and keep the roles up, the owner offered full day sessions as well.

Her 20 free hours are exactly that too

Edited by Flake
 Post Reply Post Reply