FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBonjela Concerns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KiwiL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonjela Concerns
    Posted: 26 April 2009 at 10:51am
Not sure what to think of this....

Bonjela Concerns
Sponsored Links

Henna79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 11:08am
me either Laurie    Maybe a trip to get some Weleda Teething Powder is needed.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 11:43am
It's the mouth ulcer gel which is a separate product from the teething gel. Also it should be noted that there haven't been any reported incidences of Reye's Syndrome in NZ.

Good to see Bonjela are changing their packaging so the affected products read 'Bonjela Adult' instead

ETA link

Edited by weegee

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 11:46am
Also wanted to note it includes any salicylate, including aspirin, and I remember taking disprin when I was well younger than 16!

Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 11:50am
Lol weegee it took me so long to sign in you beat me to it, i was about to say that on the tv the other night they said it was the ulcer gel and the teething gel was not affected

Henna79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 12:42pm
ok well I am confused cos in the article Laurie linked it says Bonjela and Bonjela cool

ETA the teething gel does contain salicylate

Edited by Henna79
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 5:06pm
On the news the other night it said in nz, bonjela adult and bonjela teething have different packaging, BUT they have excatly the same ingrediants. Both have that salicyate stuff.
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by HUNTD HUNTD wrote:

On the news the other night it said in nz, bonjela adult and bonjela teething have different packaging, BUT they have excatly the same ingrediants. Both have that salicyate stuff.

Thats how I understood it too.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 7:27pm
You're absolutely right, NZ bonjela does contain choline salicylate. I was going by the Herald story which said they were different, and they are in the UK, but when you look at the active ingredients here they're not. (I don't have any so couldn't check the packet.) Definitely time to check out alternatives!

(and a little irresponsible of the Herald, don't you think?)

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 8:09pm
But, also look at the risks. They were described as theoretical rather than actual (i.e. have there actually been any linked cases - asking genuinely cos I am too lazy to click the link ). I'm not going to change what I do - bearing in mind we use it maybe once a week. If I was using it all the time, I might revise my decision.
Mum to two wee boys
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 8:27am
We use it alot and I was brought up on Bonjela. I wouldn't be without it.   By being in the news, it is not going to change my mind by using it... I am sure that there is worse products out there that are out there
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 8:33am
I definately saw it on a new programme about the teething gel and the ulcer gel being different, but it was a broadcast from the UK on one of the news channels.

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 9:49am
Yea in UK they are different, no salicyates in the teething one. But here in NZ they are the same product different packaging.
kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2009 at 9:29am
My daughter is really senstive to salicylates, so we won't be using it anymore

Post Reply Post Reply