FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedthe Miranda Family

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Miranda Family
    Posted: 14 January 2009 at 11:06am
Some of you may follow the news about the Miranda family who lost their two sons in the fox glacier. I think everyone agrees that it is a tragedy that unfortunately could have been prevented if the sons had obeyed the safety rops placed by DOC.

Anyway, the car that they had rented - the keys were in the pocket of one of the sons - and so remain under ice at present. the car rental guy is charging them $2000 cause he said he then needed to get a car transporter to get the car. Might I add - the most expensive option - a cheaper option would have been to fly down with the spare keys and drive it back. So he is charging them. When the police asked for some compassion he said "someone has to make money". then was interviewed and told the media that he thought the boys were stupid having ignored the signs and more or less they brought this on themselves - so they should pay.

THen to make matters worse, Some lady in Greymouth is charging them $120 cause they booked her motel and no showed CAUSE THEIR SONS WERE BURIED IN THE ICE!!!! Apparenlty she rang them up, the following night- after the story was all through the news, and asked them to cough up.

All I can say is that yes, businesses are there to make money, but sometimes we have to be human. Shame on you people!
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 11:38am
I agree. My parents have always owned their own businesses so I know that you need to make money but really there are times when having a heart is more important that making money!
Lindsey

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 11:38am

OMG I can't believe how awful those people are. 

Do you know who the businesses are so I can avoid giving them my custom in future?  There's no way I want anything to do with such selfish people and I certainly don't want to help their businesses flourish.

Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 12:09pm
Yes not a nice situation, but that is why people should have travel insurance!
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 3:11pm
And yet you would be amazed at how many travel without it!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 3:14pm
apparently they are being charged BIG time to have the bodies taken back to Aus. that I kinda understand, and agree Red, travel insurance. but i woulda thought that the rental guy would be a little compasisonate and bill perhaps later when things have died down, rather than demanding money right now.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 7:53am
I read in the paper this morning that both the car rental company and the motelier have changed their minds about charging the family.  The motelier has provided a full refund "as an act of compassion"
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 11:24am
They would have to with the bad press otherwise!

And yeah it does cost a lot for bodies to be taken back unfortunately.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2009 at 3:18pm
I was disgusted reading that article, yes people should have travel insurance, but people should also go by the saying "there but for the grace of God ,go I " , treat people the way you would want to be treated.
I also read that the motel the family DID end up staying at , the owner didnt charge them , AND paid the money for the toll calls back to overseas.
Nice to know there are SOME decent people in the world

Post Reply Post Reply