FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSteiner Kindys & Schools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 12:56pm
Funnily enough the owner of that website is called Steve Paris according to the Registrant details.
and Rubinia=Steve... hmm the mind boggles!

Why not just be honest? It is your site and if you had of just said so you probally would have gotten a bit of sympathy, but your actions make me a little skeptic now

Edited by Kellie

Sponsored Links

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 1:05pm
Yep and Steve was the guy who was protesting outside the school.

Angel and Steve, your kids' experience was absolutely awful. However, I have to question you Steve, signing in and pretending to be someone else - you would have been far better off being honest.
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Rubinia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 1:07pm
OK, my cover's been blown.

You're right I should I have been open but what's happened to us has affected us a quite badly (and I guess I may have become a little paranoid - gonna have to work on that).

But that doesn't change the fact of what happened and that the school has a dangerous side which cannot be ignored.

We even heard the other day from one family still speaking to us from that school, that one of the boys who bullied our daughter recently hit an older child from a different class in the face with a hockey stick.

Nothing was done about that except to say that "he's very boisterous".

I would actually appreciate it if someone could contact them and ask for their version of the events... because they never told us.

The only reason they ever gave us for expelling us like they did was citing our behaviour AFTER having been kicked out.

They did say that we were not in agreement with their behavioural policy but since our child was being bullied every day for four months (and the bullying happened before we got there and obviously still does), then it's apparent that that policy isn't effective.

But should that be a reason to expel children?

Edited by Rubinia
Rubinia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by arohanui arohanui wrote:

you would have been far better off being honest.

Hi Arohanui

My wife was being honest in the earlier post on page 1 and all she got was "that's unfortunate".

I mistakenly tried a different approach.
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Rubinia Rubinia wrote:

Hi Arohanui

My wife was being honest in the earlier post on page 1 and all she got was "that's unfortunate".

Well it was unfortunate wasn't it?

Sorry but this is the internet, I apologize for not starting to picket the school after her post but generally if I already have my own opinions on a subject it takes more then 1 vague-ish post to sway me.

I am really, really sorry that your family had such a horrible experience though. I would absolutely hate for anything like that to happen to my family.

Edited by Kellie

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Kellie Kellie wrote:

Hi Arohanui

Her post was pretty vague and omitted detail. Maybe she should have followed it up with your website?

It was unfortunate.

Have to agree, she could have posted again and elaborated further, or you could have come on explaining you were the dad and elaborated that way.

What can I say, honesty is a big thing to me and I don't like it when people try to pull the wool over other peoples' eyes (ie pretending to be someone else).
Rubinia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 2:00pm

Have to agree, she could have posted again and elaborated further, or you could have come on explaining you were the dad and elaborated that way.

What can I say, honesty is a big thing to me and I don't like it when people try to pull the wool over other peoples' eyes (ie pretending to be someone else).[/QUOTE]

Fair point. I'm terrible at subterfuge anyway.

As I said above, we're in a very bad situation at the moment still and sometimes, you just don't think clearly when under a lot of stress.

Let's ignore the subterfuge and stick to the facts:

The titirangi steiner school is a non-integrated school which means it isn't bound by the education act and as a result neither the parents nor the children have any protection from the ministry of education.

If they had, the management would not have been able to sweep us under the rug like they did.

Our daughters loved the education there and it was such a difference from regular state schools.

We didn't feel that getting hurt everyday was a price worth paying but sadly, despite the fact that management appeared to be open to our concerns, nothing changed in four months and on the day we were due to have a meeting with them, the trustees and teachers to discuss alternative methods of behavioural management, they cancelled the meeting and kicked us out.

We have nothing against Steiner education (we wouldn't have enrolled our kids there otherwise). We just wanted them to be safe like they promised us they would be.
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 2:09pm
Yeah that is really bad. I would never allow that as a teacher, and nor would any school I've taught in. Have you gone to the media?
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 2:13pm
Rubinia, on your website you state that your daughter originally went to the local primary school, and that they were unwilling to sort out the bullying, so you started at Steiner.
Did the same thing happen at Steiner?

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 2:14pm
In fairness you are going to get bullying at most schools.

If you choose to put your child into a private non integrated school then you should be aware that you are not protected by normal rights and the school becomes a law unto themselves and I think it was fair enough for you and your wife to bring this to people's attention.

Obviously some people have formed their own opinion and you will never sway these people (its just like the whole immunise dont immunise debate, people arent going to change their opinion based on what you say).

Oh and I did the same google search and found the bullying website .. this thread just never interested me as its not a form of education I want for my children so I didnt bother posting it.

I would never consider sending my kids to ANY steiner school but I am interested to hear in your experience. If I recall rightly I saw something similar to this happen to another family and it went to 20/20 or 60 minutes (I cant remember which) however I can not remember the school the story was about, only that it wasnt a school that I am considering for my children.

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by SMoody SMoody wrote:

I really wouldnt worry about the reading only when they are 7 part. In SA kids only go to school in the year they turn 7. So in whichever year you turn 7 you start school that year (in the beginning of the year, so everyone starts at the beginning). They also start reading a bit slower than they do it over here.

And I am really perfectly fine with great scores ect. They are however moving to try and do reading a lot sooner ect with preschool stuff and all that.

But I am all for kids to be kids. Sometimes we concentrate so hard on the actual academic stuff instead of the natural climbing, running and gross and fine motorskills they need to do all this academic stuff to the best of their abilities.

It is MUCH easier for children to learn to read when it's introduced at a younger age. Our levels of reading failure are high enough IMO and delaying literacy until 7 will not help this situation. It is those early years when the brain absorbs information much easier that is the best time to learn these skills and although it is of course possible to learn to read at a later age it is easier for the child when younger. I taught my DD1 to read at 3 - in a fun way... and she has always LOVED literacy and it has come naturally to her (she's 13 now).

I absolutely agree that kids need to be kids... but lots of skills can be taught in a play based environment that is engaging to children. Play is work for wee ones...

sorry not a completely relevant post but I believe it is one aspect of steiner schools that really needs to be considered...

Also sorry to read about the terrible situation you have encountered Steve. I can't imagine how awful it would be to know your child has been a target of constant bullying! I don't believe this would be representative of all steiner schools?!
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 2:28pm

I would actually appreciate it if someone could contact them and ask for their version of the events... because they never told us.

Hey
I am waiting for a couple of callbacks. I'll let you know what I am told okay.
If you want I could PM or email it? Or is it okay to post in here?

kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 3:33pm
Okay have had some feedback now.

Also a rep from the school has insisted on everything being put in writing only so is waiting for an email reply from me and wants to know your exact questions.

Pm me if you want Rubinia.
I would be wanting answers if I was you. Good on you for putting your story out in the end :P

Edited by Kellie

Rubinia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 5:24pm

Yeah that is really bad. I would never allow that as a teacher, and nor would any school I've taught in. Have you gone to the media?

We thought about it but decided against it - at least for now: the media can be voracious and would most likely love to put our kids in the spotlight but they've been through too much for us to allow that.

We are pursuing other avenues however. The legal aspect of the Titirangi Steiner School is very murky but we are slowly making progress.

It's time consuming work - especially with three kids at home at the moment (my eldest one is too traumatised to go back to a school right now so we're home educating her and our middle child is too upset that she was forced our of her beloved kindy so she's at home too).
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 5:37pm
I will be in touch.

Rubinia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 8:32am
I know it's been a while since I last wrote on this forum, but I wanted to share a letter I have been distributing to parents at the school and other interested parties.

It's rather long, but I thought it important for people to know.
Rubinia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubinia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 8:37am
Why we are protesting

We are here because of the appalling way my family has been treated by the Titirangi Steiner School: my eldest daughter who was 8 at the time was being regularly bullied in her class by children who had been behaving in this way since Kindy.

We informed the teacher and management about it and after four months of us telling the school, them reassuring us that they took the matter seriously and nothing ever changing, they expelled our children, including my child at Kindy who never had any problems, and my little one at playgroup.

But we weren't the only ones this happened to: three other families had left the same class in previous weeks, also because of bullying, and we've since learned of many others who have suffered at the hands of this school over the years because of the management’s refusal to deal with bullying.

Our children, especially our eldest, have been severely affected by their treatment here, to the extent that we are seeking help for them.

What the school says to other people

The manager never gave us proper reasons why the school kicked us out, but here is what they say to anyone enquiring about this event:

"The school's policy with regard to bullying is one of social inclusion."

Setting aside the irony of being kicked out because the school believes in ‘social inclusion’, in the four months of communicating with them, the school never used that term. Not once. They only started mentioning it once they excluded us and we began making a fuss.

But social inclusion doesn't mean letting children bully others without consequences.

We never advocated expelling children, however. We simply wanted them to stop the bullying or separate the children. They have no such policy here.

“The behaviour of the parents became unacceptable to both the school and other parents.”

All we did was write emails to management and had meetings with staff. Many parents were in fact glad that someone was finally doing something about the bullying but I doubt they’ll be brave enough to speak out now having seen what can happen if you do.

We didn’t protest or complain publicly about the situation until after we were kicked out, when we were rightfully angry at the school’s inefficiency and its inability to protect children.

This is a school that told us that expelling a bully would be violent to the child. They had no such problem expelling a ‘sensitive child’ (as her teacher identified her) and her younger siblings.

"Our enrolment agreement with parents requires them to provide an ongoing commitment to Waldorf Education which, in our view, was not forthcoming in this case. "

Unless bullying is part of Steiner education, their statement is groundless: we were committed to their education system, even going to an anthroposophical doctor, on teacher’s advice, to help our daughter build her confidence up so she could cope with the bullying.

But even if what they say were true, is it the school's policy to evict people without notice or warning, suddenly, with no possibility of appeal?

Our eldest child loved the curriculum and we were determined to help her thrive there, by making her class the safe environment the school claims it was.

We were scheduled to have a meeting with management, trustees and teachers to discuss behavioural management. A meeting proposed by the manager himself. But on the day of that meeting we unexpectedly received a letter cancelling it and chucking us out instead.

When we went to the school to demand an explanation on the record for this sudden and violent action, they refused to talk to us, issued us with trespass notices and called the police within minutes of our arrival.

"The school has investigated all incidents reported by this family and has found them to be without substance. "

In all the correspondence detailing many events of violent behaviour, the school only questioned one, which was due to a case of mistaken identity on our part. If they queried one, you'd think they would’ve flagged up others if they had doubts. They never questioned any of our other reports while we were at the school.

Where you can find out more

Visit our website, which includes all the correspondence between us and the school as well as a few videos explaining the situation in greater detail:

http://www.titirangisteinermessenger.com

Having read the correspondence in its entirety, one of the trustees said the following:

“I am of the view that you and your family have been very badly treated. [...] You are being blamed for everything that is wrong in the school rather than seen as the catalyst of change that is needed [...] My wife & I discussed your situation at length and we questioned what we would do if we had been in your situation... we concluded that we would have not kept quiet either. “

Sadly, trustees are powerless at this school.

How can a school do this?

There’s an important loophole in the current Education Law that allows some New Zealand schools, Private Non-Integrated (PNi) ones like the Titirangi Steiner School, to operate almost entirely without safeguard or supervision by any Ministry Department. These schools are not covered by the vast majority of sections of the Education Act, including those covering protection of children from bullying and from damaging actions by the school. As a parent sending your child(ren) to such a school you need to be sure that the institution is up to the job, without Ministry support.

But at the moment PNi schools aren’t by law obliged to inform parents of the school's different status in law with regards to the children's reduced protection and rights, a situation that further puts children at risk through parents being ignorant about it.

We are calling for compulsory disclaimers in these schools that all parents must sign to show that they have been made fully aware of the implications for their children's safety and their rights in sending them to a PNi school.

If you agree with this, please sign the petition at:

www.ipetitions.com/petition/pni/

Thank you for your time.
Karin169829 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karin169829 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2015 at 11:40pm
Hello. I am trying to get hold of everybody interested in the Koru Grove, Silverdale - School. We are reopening on the 2nd of Feb 2015 as Meraki Montessori School and we would like to invite everybody to our opening Pic-Nic on Saturday the 17th January 2015 from 10-14:00. Thank you, Karin. Like us on FB.

Edited by Karin169829 - 03 January 2015 at 11:43pm
Toran253500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toran253500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 4:47am
Education is quite an important thing and its importance is very difficult to overestimate. I believe that it is worth giving education from an early age and then it will give real results.
Paul266081 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul266081 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 6:10am
Don't worry so much about it. I also once very much messed with all sorts of papers and I was terribly annoyed. But one day, to my surprise, a way out was found and I was very glad that everything turned out that way. I was recommended very cool guys called grademiners who are engaged in writing texts for money. These are real pros, they are well versed in their business. They have a very good reputation and they can really write a text in any style about anything. They have helped me a lot with my work and studies and I recommend contacting them.

Edited by Paul266081 - 20 August 2021 at 6:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123