FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDowns testing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downs testing
    Posted: 17 January 2011 at 1:23pm
Hi Ladies,
I know for alot of us (myself included) the down syndrome testing wouldn't have any affect on my decision to keep the baby but saw this in the herald today

link
3 little Angels July 10, May 11, Apr 13
Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 1:46pm
Wow: "It is estimated that up to 10 per cent of women who know their fetus has Down syndrome choose not to have an abortion."

I'm really surprised at that figure!
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 2:17pm
So was I! I would have thought it would be more like 10% abort.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Chickoin Chickoin wrote:

So was I! I would have thought it would be more like 10% abort.

I guess some people don't actually go onto have the amnio/cvs after screening positive on the down's screening test (i.e. high risk of Downs) if they are planning to continue no matter what the outcome and those that choose to go on to have the amnio are more likely to not continue IYGWIM...
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 2:55pm
Oh yes, that makes sense.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 4:52pm
I was actually suprised at high 10% of woman keeping a down syndrome baby were. I thought it would be 5% or less that would continue with a pregnancy after confirmation. I like that i'm proven wrong .

Not offered in NZ at this point but i hope it will be in the future!
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 11:30pm
Yea, I had read that earlier and was really surprised by that figure!! I'm pretty certain that I would be one of that 10% - as in, I'd probably have an amnio to find out and prepare myself, but I wouldn't terminate the pregnancy. I'm not judging people who've chosen to... it's a huge one and I haven't faced it myself so can't talk... but I'm very surprised so many people chose that option.

It sounds like awesome progress, anyway, even if there's still work to be done.

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 12:45pm
My daughter's dad and stepmum are actually going to be on Campbell live sometime next month discussing this.
They are part of a group very against the whole screening process because they (and the rest of the group ) believe the new 12 week scan combined with the blood test is increasing the number of abortions.

Personally I think that you can give someone information but its still up to the parent to make whichever decision they make,but thats just me

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 12:48pm
oh and apparently the majority who find out their baby has downs either abort or adopt them out, C's youngest brother on her dad's side was diagnosed with DS at 14 weeks(post birth,not inutero ) so i've been learning a lot about it through her stepmum

Im not judging btw, I haven't walked that path myself

Post Reply Post Reply