FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA great choc cake??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A great choc cake??
    Posted: 31 March 2008 at 4:20pm
Im looking for a recipe for a really nice, but not too rich (and fairly simple) choc cake for my neices first birthday.
I want to make it in advance, freeze it, then get it out and ice a day or 2 before the party.
TIA
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 4:31pm
Kellz- i have a perfcet one that i always make for the boys - i make it the day before, and then ice it - the cake is still lovely and moist yet easy enough to ice. will post tonight.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 5:03pm
oh cool thanks! Do u think its suitable to make in advance and freeze? They want a really large '1' shaped cake, so I think I will have to make at least 2 normal sized cakes, and Im not gonna be able to do that while Isla is with me, so I thought I would make one at a time when I get a chance, over the next 2 weeks!
VannesaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VannesaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 10:24am
This is my favourite recipe ...

Sift Together:

2 cups Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
2tsp Baking Soda
3/4 cup Cocoa
1.5 cups Sugar

Melt:

100gms Butter

Beat:

2 eggs into 1C Milk

Mix wet into dry

Add:

1C Black Coffee with
1tsp Vanilla Essence

Bake 180ºC for 50mins

NOTES:

The 1C of Black Coffee is not coffee powder, it’s a cup of warm water & I usually put 3 -> 4 good tsps of coffee in it (like ur making a really strong cup of black coffee)… and I also usually add more like 2tsp of Vanilla essence as well

Baking usually takes more like 60mins but check every few mins after 50mins has passed so you don’t overcook it – all depends on what type of oven you have

And YES, the mixture is meant to be quite runny – don’t be shocked… if u’ve followed the recipe, it’ll be fine

ENJOY!!

VannesaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VannesaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 10:25am
Sorry - just reread back the thread - probably not the best for children as it has coffee in it. I haven't tried substituting different liquid though.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 10:50am
change the coffee for whisky

The other chocolate cake recipe that is on here...moist rich chocolate cake is the easiest recipe I have EVEERY come across and so nice...actually it sounds identical except it uses a cup ofoil instead of butter

Ot5herwise IDENTICAL....yummmy!!!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 11:27am
Thanks guys! Lol about the coffee or whiskey!

MIL ended up making the 3 cakes for me, and I just put it all togther in the shape of a one, and decotrated it! Will post a pic sometime- DH forgot the camera so iwll get one of SIL!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 7:17pm
sorry kellz - I'm so slack!
 Post Reply Post Reply