FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBulking out family meals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 6:09pm
I always add a portion of frozen mixed vege to about every meal thats stew/casserole like just to bulk it up!
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 6:46pm
We have diff types of frozen mixed vege and use them often. With mince I put in grated carrot and grated corguette and or frozen spinach.
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 8:51pm

Originally posted by pepsi pepsi wrote:

Shredded newspaper or dog food is good for bulking things up.. hubby has never noticed

ROFLMAO!!!

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 9:28am
I rarely use that much mince in a recipy. I use a max of 750 grams in a lasagne but dont go over that. If it is just the three of us the meal will last us 2 days when I use 700 to 750 gram mince. (and that is with Grant having seconds at each meal) and with 2 adults here it is for one meal.

I havent use lentils yet to bulk it up. But with spag boloignaise I usually use my recipy I do for lasagne as well. 2 grated carrots with one onion. Then celery or baby marrow in with that or really anything I feel like. If you grate the stuff it really bulks it up without certain people finding out they eat veggies. May that be your hubby or your kids or visitors. All they see is meat.

I did however find when MIL was here busy cooking some meals that I will go three times the amount of mince ect than usual. And really it wasnt that much nicer or even tastier. (dried up most of the time.)

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by pepsi pepsi wrote:

Shredded newspaper or dog food is good for bulking things up.. hubby has never noticed

Dammit Pepsi I just wet myself!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:04pm
Add carbohydrates, for example:

Put your mince, veges, tomato base & etc meal into a pastry shell, cook until crispy, and serve with mashed potatoes. It'll last you twice as long.

If a bolognese type meal, use macaroni elbows or similar and mix them in with your meat & etc. Add baked beans in with that if you like. Serve with spuds as well.

When casseroling steak/chicken/sausages, cut them into mouth-sized pieces, ie smaller than 1/3rd of sausage, that way you get more pieces of meat on your plate (together with gravy, veges, all the works) and you don't feel like you "missed out" on extra meat.

Have you seen the soups thread recently started? We put soup mix (from the bulk bins - it's lentils, split peas, etc) in with a bacon hock and simmer it all afternoon (smells so good and makes the place feel warmer and friendlier!) and an hour before eating, add a tonne of veges to it. Very filling for not much food and certainly not much meat. I'm very much a meat fan, rarely have a meal without it, and it's still good!

When you have leftover meat or tomato base etc from a meal, particularly chicken/lamb, make a homemade pizza. You can buy pizza bases premade or use a scone dough (half recipe) as a homemade base. Spread on some tomato paste and grated cheese then put all your toppings on there and serve with a salad.
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2009 at 1:28pm
Bump!

I know this thread is almost a year old, but such great ideas. Thought it may be helpful to some families out there. Has reminded me of some great ideas :)

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 2:29pm
With mince i will add grated carrot, celery, onion, capsicums, courgette. And tinned tomatoes etc....

With casseroles etc, i mainly use onion and have started using potatoes etc...

Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 11:41am
I usually buy a frozen bag of mixed veges (The pea, carrot and corn one) and add that to my mince, as well as a can of tomatoes. I sometimes put wholegrain penne pasta in too.

When I do a casserole I always add some chopped carrot, potato, beans and even a can of budget sweetcorn, It will usually be enough for two meals (Stew on toast or bread is the best!)

Also, theres a nice maggi chicken cacciatore meal (sp?) Its $1.24 for the sachet.
You just add chopped tomatoes and chicken drumsticks to the crockpot and let it simmer away. I usually add frozen veges and even chopped potato and serve it with mash potato, sooooo cheap and easy!

Mummy to two beauties... Formerly Kaiz.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:44am
Does anyone else thicken their mince?? I brown my onion, garlic and capsicum, add the mince and brown that then add cornflour and stir til dry. I then add water, enough to make a gravy through the mince if that makes sense, add my frozen veges and soy sauce then leave it to simmer for abit to cook the cornflour completely. It really extends the meal and its yummy too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12