FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHELP!! Chickenpox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! Chickenpox
    Posted: 03 September 2008 at 10:25am
Okay so Xanda has come down with a mild case of the chickenpox. The only problem is they are mainly around the groin area (on his penis) and all over his bottom and bum crack. He keeps saying they are sore, I have put calamine lotion on them and given him a bath in some pinetarsol. Is there anything else I can do??
Sponsored Links

manz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 10:31am
My poor petal had them at only 7mths old, you are doing everything you can, the only other thing you can try is putting baking soda in the bath, it helps take the itch away. Good luck!

Edited by manz
Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 10:35am
I was also going to suggest baking soda.
And just keep reapplying the calamine lotion to the area, esp after each time he goes to the toilet.

Also having a bath several times a day might help. While in the water they may itch less, and if you alternate his bath toys it'll be a time thats he's distracted. Oh put some food colouring in there too, kids love it. I'm just suggesting these as its half an hour that he hopefully won't be uncomfortable with the itching.
Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 11:51am
I had chicken pox last year, best thing for me was Lucas papaw cream on all the spots. Baths didn't do much for me but I found putting lots and lots of cream on was great. Kaia had them at the same time and at the risk of being slammed, phenegan (sp?) was the only thing tha got her to sleep.
Anna

kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 12:18pm

Both my girls had them last year, they were 2 & 3 years at the time.  Ashlyn wasn't so bad but Anastasia got smashed by them had them "everywhere" tried the soaking etc which didnt seem to help much but then it was a bit hotter also, Tazzy got the 1st spots on Xmas morning.

I agree with the Phenergan but get it from the dr - no charge and get an extra bottle, they will also give you a more accurate dosage for Xanda's weight (which for us was very different from the generic dosage for age)

For a cream I used & swear by it "Paraderm Plus" its in a tube 50gm, & it works in 3 ways Antiseptic (don't need infected spots also), Anaesthetic and Anti-inflammatory.

good luck, hope you/he get some releif soon

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 7:07pm
I had them as a teenager in the middle of summer. Don't know if the time of year makes any difference but cool baths were the only thing that made me happy.
Alianasmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alianasmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 8:09pm
My boy had them really bad around his nappy area last year. he hated wearing nappies because it hurt and had to be carried around because he found it too sore to walk I constantly put calamine lotion on it, but it didnt seem to do anything. i gave him phenergan a bit too to help him sleep and to keep the itching down. He still has really bad scars around his groin and he is still scared to get cream on his bum because its that vivid in his mind.
Poor little mite, but at least it only happens once!
Nettle oil is a really good natural anti itch rub. I have found it brilliant on my sons eczema and dry skin.
good luck, i know how hard it can get, lots of cuddles works wonders
tickers" /></a>
fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2008 at 8:55pm
We have had an okay day, he is still quite happy, which is good as we were stuck at home all day. But he is having a bit of trouble walking, sitting he is fine with but when he walks I think it all rubs together and hurts.

Might have to invest in some paraderm plus though as he has a nasty looking sore from one where the waist of his nappy sits and it has been rubbing it. Last thing I want is for it to become infected.
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2008 at 1:27pm
My DD had cp in August - was so horrible she got tonnes of spots! Pinetarsol was wondrful - gave her sponge baths in middle of night to help her sleep. She still has scars hopefully they will go away soon!!!!!
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2008 at 9:00pm
i found cooling aloe vera gel fantastic when i had them a couple of years back, the chemist advised against calamine lotion as it can dry the spots out and then cause scarring. not sure how accurate that is but i found the spots sort of burnt with alot of heat so the aloe vera gel was fantastic
fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 7:53am
Well Chicken pox got infected so had to go on antibiotics, that was Friday morning, while at Dr asked for phenergan as well since we had not slept for two nights in a row. Then took him to A&E on Friday night as his back and chst were red raw with big sores. Turns out they had turned into school sores as well. So asked for some antibiotic cream, and we are now nearly all better but everything is still healing.
 Post Reply Post Reply