FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked*confused*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *confused*
    Posted: 24 September 2008 at 7:38am
Hi guys,

DH has been really into bacon & egg quiches lately so I have been making a few with just eggs, milk, cheese and bacon. Sometimes we add corn and peas.

Anyway they have been quite watery when cooked and make the pastry soggy. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a step I am missing?

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Little Angel, April 10
Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 7:58am

Maybe you need to thicken the mixture wth a bit of wheat or cornflour.  I use reduced cream in my quiches (instead of milk) and it's lovely.

mylilmosaic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylilmosaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 8:15am
I make quiche with all the same ingredients as you & a few extras that we like, but I don't use pastry at all. My recipe just has 1/2 cup of self raising flour added & it kinda thickens it and gives it a small base.
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 8:18am
I saw on a tv show that a lot of brands of bacon have a lot of water added, maybe try one of the more expensive brands, or try precooking it to remove some of the water?

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 8:18am
Jaxs do you put extra flour on the bottom of the dish to get the base or does it just form one by itself?
kriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 8:41am
Good ideas ladies thanks alot

Little Angel, April 10
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 10:07am
I don't use pastry either. And nope, Jo, you just mix the flour in with the rest of it, it makes its own crust - I don't know how it works, but it does! I use recipes from Alison Holst's meals without meat. (I'm a huge meat-eater, but I LOVE that book).
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 10:15am
When I use pastry I just dont use any milk in the egggs. Works out fine and not soggy. I put in chopped onion, bacon, and frozen mixed vege.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 10:55am
you only need a very small amount of milk. i sometimes use a can of creamed corn too and thats really nice and the kids eat it too.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 10:59am
when i make quiche, i make a white sauce first, then add the eggs to that. pour the sauce over whatever meat6 and veges I have. no watery stuff!

I also blind-bake my pastry for 10 minutes first
kriss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 11:01am
I blind-bake also, but I don't pre-cook the bacon and I use quite a bit of milk. I thought that might make the eggs go further lol

Edited by kriss

Little Angel, April 10
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 11:44am
I dont blind-bake at all, but dont use any milk. But them we have an endless supply of fresh farm eggs thanks to MIL, so I dont have to make them stretch!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 7:51pm
Reduce the milk then and add some cornflour to it to help it thicken.
mylilmosaic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylilmosaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 8:46pm
Mrs Mojo, I just stir the flour into the mix, it doesn't form a big crust or anything but just holds it altogether, if that makes sense. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it, I always make it when I need something quick to take to a pot luck dinner
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 9:07pm
I'm guessing it forms like an omlete base?
 Post Reply Post Reply