FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedasparagus?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: asparagus?
    Posted: 04 October 2008 at 7:58pm
so i brought some asparagus and now i dont know what to do with it?
any help appreciated...

Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 8:56pm
steam or microwave for a few minutes until they go bright green.
serve with either garlic butter or grated cheese

before cooking break off the woody stems, if you hold at either end and bend they should snap at the tenderist part. biff the ends.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 9:23pm
enjoy them! mmmmmmm
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 9:51pm
YUM! We brought some too. I love asparagus season. I also just steam them like fleury said.
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 9:53pm

Yummo - we stick it on the BBQ with  a little bit of butter...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

floss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:16am
We stick them on the BBQ with lots of oil over them and salt,
oh and the other day for lunch we did that to them on the BBQ then heated up some Ham as well and put some bread on the BBQ with cheese on it till the cheese started to melt then wrapped the asparagus up with the ham and cheese it was yummy!
My beautiful big girl Sienna 15.04.06

Double the trouble double the fun Noah & Lola 10/11/07
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:45am
I bought some yesterday too.  I'm going to steam them then drizzle them with a bit of lime infused olive oil and serve them as a side to tonights grilled cajun spiced chicken - yummy!
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 8:52am
a friend of mine did a yummy egg and aspargaus bake thing in a white sauce and cheese on top then in the oven until the cheese melted
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 9:49am
cool..

this may sound a bit wierd tho.... we dont have a microwave and i am not sure on how to steam them?!

oh and if i put them in a quiche would i have to pre cook them first?

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 10:27am
No you don't have to cook them before putting them in the quiche.

If you don't have a steamer, bring a pot of water to the boil and put the asparagus in tips side up, and boil for a few minutes, the water will go bright green.
The key is not to overcook them, or they'll go soggy and yuck

[/url]

Angel June 2012
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 2:10pm
I bought some asparagus yesterday - my latest crave LOL. I used to love it as a kid, in bread (kinda like a sausage in bread). The norm is to butter the bread first but cream cheese is also quite yummy.

Yesterday I just boiled them until bright but not soggy and ate them alone with a bit of butter on top. If the spears are a bit long for your pot, no worries cause the heads don't need more than a minute really.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 2:22pm
thanks guys.

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 5:44pm
We roast them with cherry tomatoes then wrap it with bacon hmmmm yummy.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 6:43pm
Ours were really yummy however miss 2 1/2 was not a fan and the one she bit into and started chewing came back out again
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:25pm
Char hates them too, so I ended up with a huge stack tonight for dinner, YUM! I have cooked some extra for tomorrow's lunch. I love asparagus. I eat so many of them at this time of year!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2008 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Dagster Dagster wrote:

We roast them with cherry tomatoes then wrap it with bacon hmmmm yummy.

mmm that sounds nice... how long to roast them?

sadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 8:51am
If you don't have a steamer, then just put an inch of water in the bottom of a pot and put the asparagus in with the lid on - will act as a steamer of sorts. Cook for 2 minutes max, they are so much better with a bit of crunch.

Please don't microwave vegetables, it kills so many nutrients.

I then char mine in a pan/griddle with crushed garlic, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Then add some cherry tomatoes to the pan and cook for a minute or two. Put on a plate with a drizzle of balsamic. This also works really well with french beans.
 Post Reply Post Reply