FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDinner Idea’s for a one year old

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinner Idea’s for a one year old
    Posted: 06 July 2009 at 4:45pm
What sort of foods did/does your one year old eat??

Caden is pretty good with his food, he eats a good variety of foods through out the day, like banana and other fruit, sammies, raisons, yoghurt, rice cake things, creamed rice, arrow root bikkies etc
For dinner he usually has one of those little kids meals and some veges, and he seems happy with that, cos he has dinner round 5 and then in bed before DH and I have dinner.

So was just wondering what everyone else gives their one year old for dinner? Caden never wants a lot at tea time..
Oh and he only has his two bottom teeth, and is cutting a top tooth now.

Edited by Sheza

Sponsored Links

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 7:39pm

When she turned 1 Ella started eating the same dinner as us- at that stage she still had to eat dinner slightly earlier than us, so either I would cook dinner early and then reheat later for DH & I or I would save some dinner from the previous night and reheat it for her.

Her favourite foods for dinner are; roast chicken (just put it in the slow cooker in the morning- easy as and a roast chicken normally lasts at least 2 dinners for us), homemade chicken nuggets, homemade crumbed fish, shepards pie, fried rice, risotto and scrambed eggs is a popular quick meal for her.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 7:53pm
Oh he likes eggs, I will try scrambled eggs tomorrow night. Shepards pie is a good idea, he likes mince and potato.

Tonight he had spaghetti and loved it, and had his veges afterwards. We had macaroni and cheese last night and he wasnt too fond of that, I think it was the pasta elbows, cos he loves cheese and normal pasta spirals normally.

Thanks for the ideas

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 8:13pm
Once a week the girls get pasta for dinner they go mad for it! I just get wholegrain penne pasta and stir in a couple of tablespoons of sundried tomato pesto, with some mushrooms or frozen mixed vege. Although the girls have about 8 teeth each so I guess having a few more teeth helps with that one lol.

Fish is a really great one. I get fresh red cod or monk from the supermarket and pan fry it. The girls can't get enough and it practically melts in their mouths so little need for teeth. Very healthy too we try to give it at least 3 times a week. We still don't give a lot of red meats as the girls haven't taken to them but at this age as long as they're getting some chicken and fish it's all good.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 8:14pm
Oh and keep trying. The girls usually hate anything new until it's been in front of them 4 or 5 times then they learn to love it.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Troods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Troods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 12:57pm
Emily started having dinner with us when she turned one because she wanted to have what we were having. Back then I think she had four teeth (2 up 2 down front). She does have 10 teeth now though including all four first molars. She loves chicken, fish and LOVES red meat, so if we had steak or lamb, I would chop hers into small pieces for her to pick up with her fingers and put into her mouth to chew.   She didn't particularly like holding onto and chewing on big pieces by then (it had to go in our mouth properly like mummy and daddy do). Other good things are pasta (spaghetti or penne or spirals), meatballs (which get demolished by little hands first before being eaten!), broccolli was and still is a fave, rice (gets messy though). Yeah and fish is excellent too and always goes down well. Stir fry is another good one. Then they just pick at the meat and vege pieces from a bowl and if served with noodles it's even better!! If we're having a dinner that's probably not really suitable for her, then I'll whip up a quick mini omelette for her and she loves that cut up into cubes. But now she'll pretty much give anything new a go these days, although she'll quickly let you know if she likes it or not!!   

Missed MC July 2011
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2009 at 1:36pm
Ethan eats at 430 so he sometimes has our food the next day but often has his own.. he started having pasta(the kids one at the supermarket) and just loves it! he likes spagetti with mixed veges in it..lol

He also likes any kind of meat just by itself.. (ham or mince or anything) ...i am lucky he eats practically anything and everything though.. :) I cut everything down for him for a long time cause he used to gag but he eventually got past it:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:08am
Since 1year my wee one has eaten with us. Some things needed a little more chopping or mushing but generally she's been fine having the family dinner.... In fact she wouldn't have it any other way, she's so independant and has always insisted she has the same and feeds herself... It's so much cheaper and easier when they will eat the same as everyone else...
mum to 3 lovely girls :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2009 at 9:42am
Cool thanks girls :)

Caden will eat the same stuff as us usually, but because his bedtime is 6.30 now(trying to get him in a steady evening routine now for when bubs arrives), he has dinner at about 5 and thats way to early for us as DH doesnt get home from work until nearly 6 some nights.
We had plunket yesterday and she said to save him left overs from our dinners, so will try that as well.
Other wise, I dont mind making his dinner at 5 and then ours later on, as we dont eat until round 7 or later.

Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 7:52pm
Jackson has been eating what we eat since he was one. On the nights that our meals arent suitable I usually pop on a few fish bites and give him sweetcorn and veges, all as finger food. Sometimes I'll wip up scrambled eggs as well.

We generally eat alot of casseroles, mashed potato and veges. He loves our pasta meals and mac cheese too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2009 at 8:11pm
Last night I made Caden a cheesy omlet and cut it into squares and he gobbled that up, and tonight I made a pasta thing lol, I boiled pasta spirals and cooked some veges(pea's etc) and then mixed them together, then added a quarter of a tin of the little kids meal "pasta and meat balls", then some tomato puree, and chucked it it the mirowave to heat it up a bit more, he LOVED it, ate the lot I made enough for his dinner tomorrow as well.

Im going to start making more casseroles and stuff cos we got a slow cooker for christmas and Ive only used it a handful of times, DH loves mashed potato so we have a lot of that too, Caden loves that as well.

Bangers and mash go down well in our house!

DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2009 at 7:56pm
Sounds like he is doing really well.

Don't feel pressured to have him eating full family meals as he is only just one - we've just moved there over the past few months, but DD was also a little tooth deprived at one, and struggled with some things. She is going quite well with eating what we eat now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 3:18pm
Yeah him eating before us and having small easy meals works well for us and for him, and he seems happy with the food Ive been giving him
Last night he has scrambled eggs and some veges, and tonight he is haivng spaghetti(pams tin stuff, its so yumm) and I put some cheese on top so it melts and he LOVES it.

As he gets older we will start having "family dinners" where he can be at the table with us, but at the moment, what we are doing is working really well, especially now that Im making him a variety of foods. Ive got some great idea's from here

koko2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koko2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 3:02pm
Savory onion tuna (from a tin) with rice or pasta is a winner with my 1 year and 4 year old! Great back up to have in the cupboards.. for a quick and healthy meal!
grrrgrrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grrrgrrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2009 at 9:09pm
I give Mattias a "dinner" at lunchtime and then a smaller meal sround 5ish. He always has a better appetite at lunchtime so thats when I make things like meatballs or chicken (I'm lucky working from home to thats what I do during my lunchbreak)

HI favourite is fish (also read that especially boys benefit from having fish) so try to give him fish twice a week.

Stir fry is a really good meal for him quick and easy
Mattias 2yo
Henrik almost 1
 Post Reply Post Reply