FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBudgeting tips please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2010 at 2:55pm
were with meridian in dunedin.
just got our bill for last month and its $128.20 before discount. we pay 20.63c per unit and 91.65c per day (we're on the MeridianPlus economy 24 plan)
we have 3 adults and we all have a laptop on 24/7 and 3 tvs on often.
but we do have eco bulbs in every place where they will fit.
but by no means do we try to save power infact last month i used the dryer once a week (normally we dont use it)

we do happen to have a wet back fire and get wood and coal from my parents so dont pay for any of that.

Sponsored Links

lil_lease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_lease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 3:25am
We have a very limited budget each week and so far we're doing well on it. We paid a maximum of $80 for power for 2 adults over winter (was down at $40 suring summer, before we got our laptop lol) and that is with the entertainment system (tv, xbox360, stereo hooked up to car speakers) going pretty much all day every day and the laptop being run 12+ hours a day. We do have ecobulbs in all the frequently used light fixtures and we dont have a dryer. We didnt use the heater very often during winter as it sucked power like crazy so we just piled a few more blankets on the bed and more a couple more layers.
I cant say we really try to save power lol seeing as I currently have 3 bulbs lighting one room when with a flick of 2 switches I can change it to one

For power I auto payment $15 a week to the power company and so far this is covering it nicely. I pay the same to cover the phone bill. We have $60 to $70 a week for groceries and I can usually make that stretch to feed us quite easily. Meat is usually mince and sausages. I make quite a lot of meals that will last us more than one night like my lasagne which lasts 3 nights (or 2 nights and one lunch) and most other meals I make last us 2 nights.
Meat free meal is usually pasta with cheese sauce though I sometimes add cooked bacon to the sauce along with some mushrooms and chopped tomato and spring onion. Yum.

We have a couple of extras like DF signed up to get the paper delivered because there was a deal of 2 free movie tickets per month. Worked out that we were paying for the movie tickets and getting a months worth of papers (6 days a week) for about $5. We have reorganised the budget though so now need that money elsewhere and so are cancelling the subscription.

We currently do live week by week but I think we're doing the best we can with what we have.
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:26am
We turned our hot water cylinder down in temperature after our big bill last month so will be interesting to see what our next bill comes in as. We won't get any instant savings though as we are on even pay but will still be nice to see the number go down.

I now have 1 out of 2 toilet trained and since it is nicer weather now I am going to ditch the disposables and go back to cloth nappies which will help save a little bit of $$ as well as reduce our rubbish.

I am amped to start a vege garden so will make a raised planter - will use timber that we already have so will only cost us for compost and plants and I will then grow from seeds.

Also I have last night cooked a chicken in the slow cooker, removed and shredded all the meat and then put the bones back in the cooker to make a stock. Tonight we are having chicken noodle soup, tomorrow will be chicken wraps and saturday a chicken and vege fritata. So 1 chicken = 3 meals. I will also have plenty of stock leftover (it's in the cooker now, looks like about 4 litres worth) so that will be frozen for future meals.
Mum_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2010 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by xXELAx xXELAx wrote:

We turned our hot water cylinder down in temperature after our big bill last month so will be interesting to see what our next bill comes in as. We won't get any instant savings though as we are on even pay but will still be nice to see the number go down.

Will be interested to see how much it changes your bill, we have had some huge bills and I know its cos of heaters and dryers going but think also that the hot water is TOO HOT but DH refuses to turn it down

Angel baby - May 2008
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2010 at 9:50pm
Xela, you can use the disposable for compost... I'll try find the information, or you could probably find it if you googled, but the crystals are apparently really good for gardens etc. Don't know if you want to use a poopy nappy though

mirsty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirsty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 10:26am
We don't use a dryer - its so windy at the moment that it doesn't seem to be much of a problem - maybe when baby comes and in winter we may need to do something about it.

We also turned down our hot water cylinder - didn't even notice the temperature difference - but are yet to receive the power bill too...so reserving judgement on it. However, DH and I set a timer in the bathroom to 3 min for him and 5 for me (since im not as agile). So think that helps too.

Our sodastream (thanks flybuys) is awesome.

It is such a balancing act - especially this time of year. I am a 'mature' student and DH works, we dont' get any sort of help from parents or WINZ like many of my friends do and it sucks when we catch up for coffee when they all talk about cool stuff they've bought, everything we have for baby is second hand. Nothing wrong with that, but just gets down a bit sometimes.

Yay for summer!

mirsty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirsty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 10:28am
Re: the eco bulbs - do you guys reckon they actually work? ours keep popping in their fittings, the normal ones seem to last longer!

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by mirsty mirsty wrote:

Re: the eco bulbs - do you guys reckon they actually work? ours keep popping in their fittings, the normal ones seem to last longer!

I don't like them. We did use one in the hallway but it took forever to warm up & it was used for the kids while they went to sleep. We would never use them in kids room.
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 9:58am
i cant stand them either.
Mina001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mina001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 10:26am
I'm saving couple of $ a week now by just using an iPhone app called" buysmart"

Edited by Mina001
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234