FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAkl Power companies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Akl Power companies
    Posted: 20 September 2010 at 1:16pm

We are moving to Akl in a few weeks time, and thought it would be a good opportunity to review our power supplier.

Who do you use and how much on average do you pay for power?

I'm not even sure how to work out whose cheapest any suggestions.

Currently we're with genesis on easy pay. Do all power companies have a similar set up?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 1:39pm
I just changed ours from trustpower as it was sky high. We have always found energy online cheap when we were with them.
I googled something along the lines of cheap power companies and got a calculator that helps you work out who's the cheapest for what you use.
Energy online used to cost us about $180 for 5 of us trustpower has been charging $260 for 3 of us and last bill was for 2 weeks and was $240 just got my bill from energy online for the other 2 weeks period.....$80 no wonder we're so broke this month.....
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2010 at 2:55pm
check out this site for comparisons etc..

link

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:43pm
thanks Bizzy...after checking that link out we would save approx $50 & get flybuys so thinking about changing. We would still get the yr payout so won't loose anything.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 2:18pm
We've recently switched to Powershop as we worked out it would save us at least $100 a year... let me know your email address if you decide to go that way as I can refer you so you get a $50 credit (plus we'd get $25 )

No issues so far, saving money and it makes paying the power bill fun!

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 5:50pm
According to the consumer test we'd only save $20-30 a year, switching from Genesis.

Think we'll stick with them and review it post-baby as I'll no doubt be using a lot more power being home all day and with a newborn.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 6:24pm
I just looked at Powershop and they estimated a yearly saving of $104.36 however they were not using the Mercury Energy rates that we are actually charged so I calculated that our savings a year would only be about $40-50
So I would suggest that if you do look at Powershop then just double check their calculations first.
Lindsey

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 9:29am
Have decided not to change power companies after comparing rates & the new one can not break theirs down enough. They also are losing customers so better the devil you know at moment for me.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 2:17pm
That's true Linzy, we needed to change our calculation too. Their calculations are based on their standard rates though so if you keep an eye on their specials (easy if you join their facebook page) you can save more.

Even if you don't want to switch to Powershop, it's worth signing up anyway if you're with one of the major companies - everybody I know that's switched has been rung up by their existing power company and offered credit on their account not to switch. Mercury offered us $100, for example, and I know at least Contact do a similar thing. So you could sign up for Powershop, then accept your existing power company's offer of credit and not switch

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 7:06pm
We were going to switch to powershop, but then mercury offered us a $100 credit to our account if we stayed with them! It did take them over 2 months to credit it though

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 12:45pm
we swapped (though we aren't in auck) from trustpower at least $260pm to energy online $140 last month!! And they're lovely to deal with and make it all very easy so happy with that saving!
 Post Reply Post Reply