FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFinancial assistance for new baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Financial assistance for new baby
    Posted: 04 January 2011 at 10:31am
Looking into financial assistance for my next baby. I'm not working, so it appears that I might be entitled to a parental tax credit of up to $1200. Does anyone know how IRD calculates the payment? DH earns 50K + we are entitled to WFF if that helps. It would be nice to know how much we will be entitled to - there doesn't appear to be any calculators on the IRD website.

Thanks in advance for anyones help on this. IRD aren't open and I don't particularly like being kept on hold until someone is available to answer my call.
Sponsored Links

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 4:06pm
Here are the IRD calculator. Click on start at the top of the page on the right or at the bottom.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 4:18pm

http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/6/1/61637f80441d336e920d924e9c145ab7/ir271.pdf

This is the current worksheet. You can view all entitlements easily here

Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 8:53pm
Thanks for that information. I've worked out what are WFF payments will be. Isn't there a one off payment that I will be entitled to for having a new baby? I think I will phone them tomorrow to check...
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 9:38pm
Sez, I'd be interested to know what you find out. My DH had heard something like that before my DS was born, but we never could find any hard evidence of it., so gave up trying.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 10:02pm
I recall hearing about the $1200 as well, I think it was during Antenatal class, but like you I couldn't find any info on it!
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 11:02pm
parental tax credits!

If you arent getting parental leave you are entitled to parental tax credits - they pay out at (i think) $150 a week for the first 8 weeks.

here is the IRD site info on it - perhaps it would be easier to call them and ask about it specifically now you know what it is you're asking for. Or a post in general chat might bring some answers as well.

Thats about all i know as i qualified for parental leave so didnt get this...
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:03am
it is a form of parental leave. if you are working and are eligable for parental leave you get that however if you dont work then you get a one off payment of $1200 in place of parental leave.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:15am
Yeah we got it. Cause they already had our details for wff we just rang them and said we had another baby and it started coming in our acc. We chose to get it paid out fortnightly. Then you just have to tell them the childs ird number when you have got that done.

Not sure what the process is for 1st timers
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:34am
We got it too, just be careful because I asked for a lump sum not knowing that I would have to do my tax return before I could get it (we have a rental property) if I had asked for it weekly, or I think it might be fortnightly, then I would have got it straight away. There is a sheet on the site somewhere with the thresholds I will see if I can find it and post the link but from memory you had to be earning 100k+ to not be entitled to it all.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:37am
http://www.workingforfamilies.govt.nz/tax-credits/

Last column is the income thresholds for parental tax credit that is the $1200 one.

From what I remember if you are already signed up to working for families you just have to get an IRD number for the baby and then ring them once you have it and they will either pay you weekly/fortnightly or if you opt for the lump sump you will get it in April (unless you need to do a tax return then you will get it once you have done your return.)

Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 2:48pm
Yay! Just phoned IRD and we are entitled to the parental tax credit of $150 a week for 8 weeks ($1200).

The standard working for families tax credits are:

Family Tax Credit
In Work Tax Credit

The additional payments you can receive if you have a new baby are the Parental Tax Credits. Basically if you work you are entitled to the parental leave payment and if you don't you can get the Parental Tax Credits.

All we have to do is contact IRD after baby is born to update our details and the payments will be made immediately. We then have 8 weeks to get an IRD number for baby.

I'm so excited about this, we might actually be in a position to save some of this extra money or at least be able to be a bit more relaxed with the budget for a while.

.... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 11:53pm
So, does this mean that once I have bub, on top of help from WINZ, we'll get help from the IRD?

Neither myself or the ex are working at the moment.
babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 12:52am
BecBarrer - here's the page for Parental Tax Credit (the one you could qualify for if you're not working before bub), it explains in which scenarios you don't qualify for it -

Parental tax credit info

This is the worksheet of different types of WFF payments. The Parental Tax Credit one is at the very end (bottom) of the form -

WFF Tax Credits worksheet
Ev, Mum to:
Carys Ruby - 4 October 2007
Spencer James - 2 July 2010
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 11:16pm
Oh I see, that's great! So when this bubba comes along, we can claim this, since I'm a SAHM? That could come in very handy!
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:43am
yes, you need to apply within the first 8 weeks after birth (something like that), or they wont pay you. Give them a ring and see what they say

snooze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snooze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 9:06pm
Great info, thanks!!!   Buggar about my timing, they only appear to pay once a year after you tax return in July.... our second bubs is due in July so will have to wait a year. Will be a nice bonus by then!!!
Sez26 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sez26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 1:01pm
Snooze, our second is due in July as well and we were told that we could have it paid weekly or fortnightly.

Looks like we are going to be entitled to a community services card once our second arrives too. This will definitely help especially when my husband or I need to go to the doc - so expensive these days, no wonder people turn up to A&E to avoid the cost.
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2011 at 3:11pm
We wern't entitled to it as my partner was on acc at the time. i thought that was a bit unfair!

Especially since they did pay it to us originally, then rung us and told us we actually wern't eligible so we had to pay it all back

Edited by kellie

BriAndOlisMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriAndOlisMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by BecBarrer BecBarrer wrote:

So, does this mean that once I have bub, on top of help from WINZ, we'll get help from the IRD?

Neither myself or the ex are working at the moment.

If you are on a benefit I don't think you can get it, not positive tho but I recall it saying somewhere that if you are getting money from WINZ then you don't qualify for the payment.
 Post Reply Post Reply