FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAdvent calendar / nativity scenes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advent calendar / nativity scenes
    Posted: 08 May 2011 at 5:23pm

I'm quite keen to try making a felt advent calendar for next Christmas.  I've seen some neat ones which have a numbered pocket for each day that contains a little felt figure from the nativity story that you then add to the felt scene that sits above.  I'm just not convinced that my artistic skill is quite up to the task.

Has anyone made anything similar??  Or got any other great ideas?  I'm keen to have something that lasts for a bit rather than being a one off calendar.

Sponsored Links

ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:51pm
One of my all-time favourite websites is Craftster and I did a wee search (they have a list of tags) and found a tag for advent calenders here
I hope it gives you a bit of inspiration! Make sure you share your craft once you are done! :)

thetravelbugtribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetravelbugtribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:44pm
wow, some great looking ones there, might have to beg, borrow or steal a sewing machine and give myself some lessons! Dont think my hand stitching is that good...

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 6:51pm
Ooooo...thanks for that link.  Though I suspect it's going to give me a whole pile of new ideas for things to makeas well as giving me ideas for the calendar!!
kathamill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kathamill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 1:27pm
I managed to find an advent calendar type thing that had 25 little drawers that were numbered. I bought a little foot high fake tree and put little mini decorations in each drawer. Every night before bed we would open a drawer and put a decoration on the tree. DD1 LOVED it, couldn't wait till it was time to go to bed! And we can do it all over again this year!
Lotta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lotta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2011 at 3:49pm
i'm from sweden and we have advent calendars where you tie a small present on for each day. The picture is made from felt stuck onto backing fabric and then you sew on metal rings. I have made a train for my older son (based on the one my brother had when we were kids) and then adapted it to make a tug-boat for my younger son. If you are interested I can send you some pictures and I may even have the pattern I created somewhere!
Doublemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doublemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2011 at 8:43pm
lotta
would love to see pictures and a pattern
Lotta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lotta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 2:39pm
I have tried to attach pictures of the tug-boat (have to dig the train out!!!) but can't work out how! Can email them if you want? My tips are to trace your picture onto baking paper first and then pin this onto your felt for cutting. Use a thick backing fabric s some of the gifts may be heavy so you want good support. Bear in mind that the cutting is the timeconsuming part so don't get discouraged at this stage - the gluing is quite quick! Also, bear in mind that you will need to find 24 (or in my case 48!) small gifts each year for the foreseable future!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2011 at 4:47pm
last year my husband and i made a nativity scene from lego. it was pretty cool if i dont say so myself. This year i got given an advent calendar that has different things in pockets like the one you mentioned but when you take them out you put them in santas sack.

blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2011 at 6:12pm
I'm going to be hastily sewing up little bags for my advent calendar tonight!! Is everyone else sorted for this year?

Once I've finished mine should be 24 little natural coloured drawstring bags with a drawstring of red or green ribbon. I'm going to use Christmassy fabric to add numbers to the front of each bag (though this will probably be an after Christmas addition 'cause I'm not up to all that work tonight!). This time round I'm thinking I might just attach a bit of paper for each number. Our two are still little so it will be more about the bags for them this year.
AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2011 at 9:30am
My Mum just sent two beautiful ones she made for my kids... I'm not super crafty so I am glad she did them!

Pics here

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply