FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorking with fondant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working with fondant
    Posted: 15 August 2011 at 5:05pm
Hi!

I've got DS' first birthday coming up and I want to make the cake and decorate it with fondant.
Just wondered how many days beforehand I can make the fondant shapes? Can I then store them in the fridge in preparation for decorating the cake the night before or will they crack/dry out? Any advice appreciated!

Also, I can get vanilla or buttercream flavoured fondant. Has anyone tried both? Any preference for flavour? I must admit I'm not much of a fondant fan but have only really had it on Xmas cake...I'm assuming that is traditionally vanilla flavoured fondant??

TIA

Sponsored Links

shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 8:36pm
I made fondant animals for the top of My DS's first birthday cake. I made most of them 3 or 4 days out. They took up to a day to really harden. I just kept them on a plate high up in the pantry. I made a practice one about a month before that kept fine as well.

My MIL squashed them all into a small tupperware container after the party, proceeding to break half of them. I was a bit annoyed! Anyway, I finally took them out of the container about 5 days later and they had gone a bit soft and most then broke . My MIL is often doing 'helpful' stuff like that.....

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2011 at 9:46am
I made the fondant animals for DS cake a week in advance, they keep pretty much indefinitely.

Doing things like stripes and letters for the side of the cake I did as I was decorating because they needed to mold to the side of the cake.

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 4:09pm
Thanks shellgirl and Azza - I hadn't even thought about the fact that they would need to mould to to the side of the cake! Will keep that in mind.

Loved your topsy turvy cake BTW Azza!

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 4:15pm
Thanks Jaune! I cant wait to try doing another cake!

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 4:29pm
I want to make farm animals for DD's 1st birthday cake, has anyone made them before and did you have a guide to help you?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 4:45pm
I had a play around with animals etc for DS's cake earlier in the year and just kept them in an airtight container, they were still good a week later.

Caliandjack - there are heaps of tutorials on YouTube and the net

3xMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3xMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 5:02pm
I made animals for DD's 1st birthday...

I made them a few weeks ahead of time and kept them in the hot water cupboard to dry (& away from little fingers ) They are totally dry now & will last 'forever'?!

I did google searches for fondant animals but in the end I basically rolled a ball for the head & 1 for the body & went from there!
There are very good YouTude videos tho!

I loved your topsy turvy cake too!!

Avoid putting Fondant in the fridge it will go sticky!
Jess
3xMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3xMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 5:02pm
Whoops huge pic, sorry!
Jess
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2011 at 6:41pm
That is an awesome cake 3xMummy

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply