FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHomeschooling??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homeschooling??
    Posted: 30 September 2011 at 1:01pm
Is anyone else considering or already doing home education??
Sponsored Links

MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 1:33pm
I'm very seriously considering it - planning on it, in fact, unless anything changes between now and then.
My DD1 is 3, and DD2 is only 1, so it's a year or so off, but we are starting to integrate learning into everyday life already.

I'm planning on writing my own curriculum in the early years (age 4 - 5, maybe 6) and then looking at buying part of one perhaps, depending on how I go. there are SOOOO many out there it is very daunting!

I was fully schooled, and DH was fully homeschooled using ACE which I do not want to use.

What are your thoughts on it already?
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 2:37pm
I have thought about but not seriously looked into it.
I feel like I wouldnt have the skills/ knowledge to teach them properly. Are either of u teachers? The only homeschoolers or unschoolers I know, or have seen on tv o read about have been teachers themselves.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 3:05pm
I was homeschooled. Kellz my parents aren't teachers and neither am I, you don't need to be. Its about teaching them life skills and a love of learning at first.

I agree MM I'm not a fan of ACE. We're planning on using the Charlotte Mason method and once they're into year 1 or so we'll use AmblesideOnline. At the moment I'm sitting outside in the sun with the laptop while the boys run around watering the veges and the rocking horse and gathering grass for the horses hay lol oh and now they're making mud roads and rivers for the action men to uhm 'action' in DS1 is being very serious and focused while DS2 is squealing and laughing and thinking the whole thing is a fabulous joke!

My reasons for wanting to educate them at home are because a. they grow up so fast and I don't want to ship them off to someone else any sooner than is absolutely necessary, and b. I believe I can give them a more thorough, varied, tailormade education at home. I'm perfectly happy to organise tutors, etc when they're older if DH and I don't feel that between us we can offer them enough support, or if they ask for outside help (sometimes mum and dad just can't explain it right ). Our 'social' plan is that they will be involved in a minimum of one sport, one musical instrument and one other organised group such as orienteering, the tramping club, the anglers club or something like scouts. We're pretty self-sufficient so they'll learn to make soap, washing powder, bread, furniture, etc just as a part of how we live. DH is an engineer and he rebuilds classic cars so he's super excited about buying the boys a car of their own to restore and then have as their first car LOL he'll teach them to weld and do the mechanical stuff. I think the boys will likely end up with alot more skills than if they went to school.
MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 5:26pm
i totally agree with all of the above Babe - those are exactly the same reasons we want to 'unschool', although we are nowhere near as self-sufficient as you.

I am not a teacher, although I did 1 semester of a primary degree (then got pregnant! lol), but my mum was a high school maths teacher, and both my grandparents (her parents) were primary teachers, so i do have a large pool of knowledge that I can draw from. I also know several teachers.

Will look into those curriculums, thanks Babe. I would love to have a slightly more permanent thread on here for those of us thinking about doing HS/US...
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 5:46pm
Yeah a permanent thread would be cool. Home educating is becoming a more and more popular choice these days.

MM I have a ton of links to a ton of free curriculum so yell if you want any ideas. And have you heard of CurrClick?? Tons of resources and quite abit of free stuff too (look down the lefthand side under the Facebook and Twitter links).
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 5:56pm
For your enjoyment This is the Charlotte Mason requirements for a 6yo and what we're currently focused on with DS1. She believes that til the age of 6 children should spend most of their time outside discovering life and learning skills such as observation, memorisation, describing, etc through play so while we don't formally study we do things like name the flowers and trees in our yard while we're out there, watch the birds, encourage Jake to tell us about stories we've read, practice where east, west, south and north are in our yard, etc. The amount of knowledge he puts away with this method has actually surprised us

."A Formidable List of Attainments for a Child of Six"

1. To recite, beautifully, 6 easy poems and hymns

2. to recite, perfectly and beautifully, a parable and a psalm

3. to add and subtract numbers up to 10, with dominoes or counters

4. to read--what and how much, will depend on the child

5. to copy in print-hand from a book

6. to know the points of the compass with relation to their own home, where the sun rises and sets, and the way the wind blows

7. to describe the boundries of their own home

8. to describe any lake, river, pond, island etc. within easy reach

9. to tell quite accurately (however shortly) 3 stories from Bible history, 3 from early English, and 3 from early Roman history

10. to be able to describe 3 walks and 3 views

11. to mount in a scrap book a dozen common wildflowers, with leaves (one every week); to name these, describe them in their own words, and say where they found them.

12. to do the same with leaves and flowers of 6 forest trees

13. to know 6 birds by song, colour and shape

14. to send in certain Kindergarten or other handiwork, as directed

15. to tell three stories about their own "pets"--rabbit, dog or cat.

16. to name 20 common objects in French, and say a dozen little sentences

17. to sing one hymn, one French song, and one English song

18. to keep a caterpillar and tell the life-story of a butterfly from his own observations.

emily854 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emily854 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 6:28pm
I am curious on homeschooling and I think this is a great option but I'm not sure if I am up to doing it with my son. I think sending my son to a private school for now will be better than homeschooling.

Edited by Kelz
sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 12:11pm
We are also wanting to homeschool and have planned to start casually when DD starts morning kindy (we will have a special activity in the afternoon). I have allowed myself to try it for a year...if it doesn't work or whatever then we can enrol her in school.
I am also not a teacher but am looking forward to (in a way) re-educating myself too.
We have heaps of resources collected already, but feel quite daunted at the prospect of looking at particular programs. I'm going to a home educators meeting in a few weeks to see about joining a support group, perhaps this will help?

Thanks for posting the list of ideas, might be a good starting point.
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 4:05pm
On DPs side of the family they have Dyslexia and after seeing his family failed by the schooling system I am very much considering it should DD have dyslexia too. But we'll see.
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 12:31pm
Definitely seriously considering it!

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2011 at 6:13pm
If we can afford it, we'll do it Once we've sussed out where we are living and how we are building lol. Eventually, we'll do it anyway, but we may put it off to begin with.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Kate08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2011 at 9:56pm
Quick question, what's the difference between home schooling and 'unschooling'?
Also, how do you find the literacy/numeracy side of things?
I've heard that Auckland has an amazing home-schooling network, and that if you're rubbish at maths, for example, you can network and go off to someone else's house for a maths activity afternoon etc. It sounds very organised. The people we know who did it took their kids out of school because of bullying issues.
Like Flake, for us it would be a cost issue!
Emilzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emilzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2011 at 10:36pm

My Mum has and still is homeschooling her 8 kids and before my oldest brother she couldnt read, but we turned out fine, (my brother 22 and sis 13 have Dyslexia but mum taught them well and 22 can read enough to order his food at Mcds or something (this was before mum could get help) and 13 went to kip mcgrath and has games on the PC to help and she is doing way better) The rest of us do well with 4over achevers (31, 25, 13 and 9), 2 dyslexic (22 and 13) and 2 that do "well" (19 me and 16)

We all did ACE and would not recomend it, its all phonics and makes things hard. the only up side to it is we all can do realy good accents, you name it we can do it.

I would love to Homeschool my kids but DH wont let me  

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2011 at 11:07pm
After a lot of consideration we have decided to Homeschool our daughter next year. I am really looking forward to it. We have a wonderful Home school network in our local area and I have already met a few people who I hope will become good friends in the coming years
We don't intend to buy a curriculum for the first few years but will see how we go. I love the idea of interest based learning - where they show in interest in a topic and you go with it.
We have managed to get a spot at the upcoming Auckland Home Educators information evening and I am looking forward to finding out more about how to go about the whole process.

sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2011 at 6:32am
Cool, I'm going to that too Mama2two, yay there will be someone I 'know' :)
We have already started a bit of homeschooling. After kindy and lunch, our youngest goes for a nap and me and miss 4 usually sit down and do some sticker book, or baking, or computer game together. I really enjoy it and I think she enjoys the quality attention :)
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
 Post Reply Post Reply