FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPND 2nd time round

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hadlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hadlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PND 2nd time round
    Posted: 03 May 2012 at 4:04pm
This has been a forum topic for a couple of others but didn't wanna hijack anyone elses forum.

I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant with my second child. When I was pregnant with my DS (now 2) I was not happy about it which resulted in me being diagnosed with PND when he was 8 months old and having therapy with Mothers matters. All has been well since then.

Although I'm excited this time - I'm getting more and more anxious about the idea of getting PND again especially at the idea of having a then 3 year old and newborn to look after.

Has anyone been through similar? How did you cope?
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 7:48pm
I had terrible pnd after #1, at its worst when she was 15 months. I got better, and returned to part-time work, then we had #2 when DD was 3years 3 months old.
We examined what were my triggers and what things really helped and what didnt , and worked out what we could put in place to prevent the pnd happeneing again and how to get on top of it quickly and get help if I did get it again.
Ive been fine! DS is now 2yrs 3 months and DD is 5 1/2yrs. Im an emotional person and still have days when I think " OMG what was I doing having 2 kids, and cry a lot, but 99 % of the time Im fine!

Maybe you could contact mothers matter and see what they recommend. Good luck!
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Kellz Kellz wrote:

We examined what were my triggers and what things really helped and what didnt , and worked out what we could put in place to prevent the pnd happeneing again and how to get on top of it quickly and get help if I did get it again.

This is what I did. I had PND with #1 but it wasn't diagnosed until #2 was 6wks old, although to be honest I knew I had it from the beginning. When DS2 was about 4mths old I had counselling that really helped. I have PND again with #3 but I was able to manage it pretty well until she was about 8-10wks old and then I decided to go back onto meds. I would really recommend counselling
Lindsey

flyingmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 9:31am
Really appreciate this forum as we are thinking about trying for #2 in the next few months and am worried about a recurrence of pnd.

I was diagnosed when my DD was about 4 months, she's now 2 and I've been off the meds for 5weeks (YAY!) and am feeling great! But I do feel a bit anxious that it might reoccur after #2 is born...having said that I do feel much stronger now and much more aware of some of the things that triggered the depression the first time round (including going back to work way too early and forcing myself to express full time because she couldn't BF)
midnight_sakura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midnight_sakura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2012 at 5:31pm
I have to agree with you on this one. I had PND with my first DD who is now 5 yrs. Sadly i have never been able to shake the long term effects of it and am starting to worry about what will happen with this pregnancy.
ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 11:19am
I had Ante natal depression with DD which was diagnosed properly 2 days before i went into labour lol...i had it real bad and was on meds from the day i had her. Her birth also caused it to be worse as it was a case of everything that could go wrong did...

we are looking at ttcing #2 when DD turns 2 and the though of PND freaks me out too...im jsut about off my meds, been weaning off for months now

CHEM 6/12+
Free2BeMe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Free2BeMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 6:07pm
I've had PND 3 times now, after each child, no more babies for me! The first time was undiagnosed, but when my second was born I completely lost the plot, it was very bad. I managed to get through that with meds. Was terrified when pregnant again, and although I did get PND again, it was much less traumatic, as I had alerted friends, family and my GP to watch me, and if I did not realise I was slipping into depression, they were to step in, and make sure I got help.
In fact I did recognise it on my own, and about 4 months pp went back on the meds.
escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2013 at 5:25pm
For me I have prenatal depression(depression while pregnant) with #1 and then severe PND with #2. I must admit, I do worry about whether it will happen again this time.

I am pretty sure I have prenatal depression at the moment.

Post Reply Post Reply