Print Page | Close Window

Fruit / Vege gardening

Printed From: OHbaby!
Category: Fun Stuff
Forum Name: Gardening
Forum Description: Are you a Green Thumb (or not)? Share you tips and ask your questions here.
URL: https://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35859
Printed Date: 28 April 2024 at 1:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fruit / Vege gardening
Posted By: happymumma
Subject: Fruit / Vege gardening
Date Posted: 22 September 2010 at 10:15am

I always have celery, spinach and silverbeet in the garden and over summer will add lettuce and tomatoes.  I'm tempted to try peppers but have heard varied reports on how easy they are to grow - my aim is to be able to make salads easily without buying anything.  If I get my other vege patch up and running I'd be keen to add potatoes and carrots.

In terms of fruit I have two blueberry bushes, strawberries, lemon and mandarin trees (although these are very young so I'm guessing I won't get much fruit if any yet).

What fruit / veges do you grow and what do you think are the most cost effective to grow rather than buy?  And does anyone have tips on feeding citrus in pots??

Replies:
Posted By: Jacobsmumma
Date Posted: 22 September 2010 at 2:42pm

I don't have a vege garden yet, but am planning on doing one soon.  I'll come back here later  for some tips

-------------

(9lbs 6ozs)

(11lbs 4ozs)

Posted By: jazzy
Date Posted: 22 September 2010 at 3:17pm
We don't have one either but we do have somewhere we could start one. We were looking at doing things in pot or planter & get the kids to have one each & grow stuff. Need to do some weeding first

I would like to know what can you plant in the summer...like around Dec

Date Posted: 23 September 2010 at 10:38am
Jazzy you ought to be able to plant lettuces, celery and spinach at that time.  And probably plenty of other things depending upon where you are.  And don't worry about too much weeding!  Just weed a small patch and start from there.  Then it becomes easy because you have a reason to go out of check your veges - you can pull out a few more weeds each time. 

Posted By: heaf3
Date Posted: 23 September 2010 at 11:05am
Courgettes, cucumbers, pumpkin, tomatoes, beans etc all grow well in summer.

DH has just built us another raised vege garden to add to our one from last year, so now we have celery, pak choi, mini cauli & cabbage, red cabbage, herbs (chives, sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, dill & coriander), spring onions, garlic, some red onions, leeks, silverbeet/spinach, tomatoes, climbing beans, brocolli/cauli/cabbage mix, some brocolli stuff that looks like cauliflower, a pumpkin & cucumber. not all planted at once though! and in another garden we have some potatoes and strawberries and a rhubarb plant.

DH built himself a little plastic house so he has been growing a lot from seed which is cool.

we have a big plum tree that goes mad every year and we get buckets of plums, a couple of orange trees, a mandarin and a lime and lemon that havent started producing yet, planted a cape gooseberry bush last year, hasnt fruited yet, and a couple of tamarillos.

all this on a not that huge section in the middle of town!

just make sure you feed everything well, liquid seaweed fertiliser is really good.

-------------
http://lilypie.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: _SMS_
Date Posted: 25 September 2010 at 6:58pm
I always have a good vege garden over summer, i slack off over winter because veges seem cheap enough from the supermarket.

In spring/summer/autumn we grow, silverbeet, spinach, capsicums, spring onions, leek, lettuce, tomatoes.

We have had no problems growing capsicums. They are alot smaller than the ones in the supermarket. But much cheaper tan $2 each

Spring onions are very easy to grow. They are great for salads.

Im going to try snap peas this year. Hope they turn out good.

-------------

Posted By: myonlineself
Date Posted: 25 September 2010 at 7:38pm
woah I'm all inspired. I love the idea of weeding a small patch and just starting.. I am always put off by the thought of having to weed the whole lot before I start. I'm so going to just stick some stuff in the small bit I already weeded (after I weed it again since it was a couple of weeks ago, sigh)

-------------
http://lilypie.com">

Date Posted: 25 September 2010 at 8:40pm

heaf3 is there anything special you need to do with pumpkins?  The last time I grew them they didn't really get past very small green things.  They had grown from pumpkin seeds I'd just thrown into the garden - which is what I'm kind of planning to do this time but any tips would be appreciated.

I'm also going to try capsicum from seeds.  Fingers crossed it works - I figured I might as well try it and see what happens.

Myonlineself that's my style of gardening!!  I have such a big section that was very porrly maintained before I moved in so I'm doing a mixture of planting bits and pieces and cutting back all sorts of things.  There are huge piles of weeds and overgrown trees everywhere.  I put a couple of tomatoes in today - a bit early but they did pretty well last year at this time. - over the week I weeded enough space to pop them in!  Next job is to remove all the crap from the place I want to create my compost bin.

Posted By: JoJames
Date Posted: 25 September 2010 at 10:31pm
We moved in last year and it already had a large strawberry patch, that didn't grow too well, I think due to overcrowding, but we have dug them all up separated them and now have our strawberry patch ( 4m x 2m) and two big pots plus heaps of little pots filled, I'm hoping for a bumper crop and also I figure mature fruiting plants should make good christmas presents.
Dh finally dug up our failed vege patch from last year and last week planted tomato plants (early I know), some brassicas, peas, radishes, lettuce (which got eaten) Maori potatoes, spinach and my herbs.
We've also planted in the last year fejoia tres, lemon, mandarin and lime trees. Blueberry, raspberry and some other berry, and we have a grape vine. Apparently we are going to live here forever Our section isn't large only 700sqm, my theory has always been throw it in and see what happens.

DH has the bug he is growing seedlings and checks on them every day. He is also trying to propagate a plum tree from branches we cut from a tree at his childhood home.
I think anything you grow from a $5 packet of seeds is going to be ridiculously cheaper than buying, Dh has been using egg cartons to raise seedlings, then just planting the whole thing in the ground.

-------------
http://www.alterna-tickers.com">

Date Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:15am
DH wants to do raised planters so I asked him if he would make some...NO he said...not good with a hammer, brilliant with a computer ha ha. But he will get out there & clean up the area I want to use...next weekend

Date Posted: 26 September 2010 at 9:36am

haha Jazzy.  Where are you?  If you were in Wgtn I'm sure we could build something together.  All you need is the wood cut to the size you want and then a stake to pop in each corner to secure them to the ground and each other (according to a friend who has done it).  I'm keen to make one but can't afford the wood at the moment - plus then I'd have to fill it and I think my aim ought to be filling up the one I have first!

Posted By: mummy_becks
Date Posted: 26 September 2010 at 7:25pm

I have a greenhouse and that currently has in it, tomatoes, cucumber, courgettes, beans, chillis, capsicum, basil  and a few other ramdoms things like an eggplant.

Outside I have carrots, spring onions, peas, silverbeets, cabbage, beetroot in already and a few things are almost ready.

I ahve 2 grape vines, a raspberry, bosenberry, 2x passion fruits, lemon, lime, orange, manderin, tangello and fejoia trees in as well.

I still have a few more things to do before we can plant everything out.

-------------
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Date Posted: 27 September 2010 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by happymumma happymumma wrote:

heaf3 is there anything special you need to do with pumpkins?  The last time I grew them they didn't really get past very small green things.  They had grown from pumpkin seeds I'd just thrown into the garden - which is what I'm kind of planning to do this time but any tips would be appreciated.

well all DH did last year was to pop some seeds that we had saved in some seed raising mix, covered it for a week or however long it took to germinate and then popped them in the ground when they were big enough. frequent watering and fertiliser. the plants went mad!! completely took over the corner of the garden haha. we had heaps of pumpkins on the couple of plants we had, but most of them didnt come to anything. we did get 2 pumpkins off the plant in the end. just kept watering them (while we could seeing as there was a drought lol) and you have to wait until the plants die down before you can harvest the pumpkins or else they won't be ready.

that probably didnt help a hang of a lot....but good luck with your next attempt!

-------------

Posted By: MummyFreckle
Date Posted: 27 September 2010 at 2:15pm

The only thing I found with growing peppers (capsicums) was that the birds got into them pretty quickly, so its worth sticking net over them. I have had great success with apple cucumbers too, they are tasty in salads and grow with no assistance!!! I am gutted - we just moved house and I had to leave our vege garden and fruit trees behind. I dont have room for one here, so am just going to stick some herbs and lettuces in pots!

Any ideas what else grows well and easily in pots?

-------------
http://lilypie.com"> http://lilypie.com">

Posted By: fire_engine
Date Posted: 27 September 2010 at 2:41pm
I've had no luck with capsicums. I do tomatoes and lettuces every year. Last year added beans, cucumbers, spring onions, carrots, capsicums and celery. Celery isn't really doing anything, carrots - well not helped by DH pulling them out, capsicums were a fail. Beans and cucumbers worked really well.

Job for this week is to plant some seeds. DH's job (not that I've told him) is to weed the vege patch!

-------------
Mum to two wee boys

Date Posted: 27 September 2010 at 10:37pm

Tomotoes do Freckle. You can grow almost anything in a pot.

-------------
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Posted By: Rachael21
Date Posted: 28 September 2010 at 12:03pm
Yay I was so glad to see this thread! I am a complete gardening beginner I know nothing so can anyone recommend a site or book that tells me when to plant what? I have just weeded a patch and have planted potatoes and strawberries and what to plant more but I have no idea when!

Posted By: Mucky_Tiger
Date Posted: 28 September 2010 at 1:20pm
our Gardens are growing nicely.
we have 3 raised beds and one green house and some pots.
in one gargen we have mint and rhubarb.
in one we have beetroot, carrots, cabbage, cauli, broc, silverbeet, and lettuces, spuds and yams
in the last garden it has 2 distinct boxes and has strawberries, parsnips, a lemon tree and we are going to put in a lime tree too.
in the greenhouse we have 3 tomato plants, 2 courgettes (until it warms up then they go outside- in their pot) and a cucumber plant.
in the pots we have spuds and yams.
and we have an apple tree too.
and we have an albany suprise grape vine and even though we live in dunedin we get heaps of grapes off it, and we dont fertalise it but prob should as the grapes are quite tart.

we also seem to grow pumpkins each year as we compost the seeds and they grow.
all we did last year was moved the plant to the front of the vege garden and let them go for it.
once the pumpkins grow on the vines we sat them on a board so the lawn didnt rot them.
they did well and of the 5 plants we had we got 22 medium sized grey crown pumpkins.
we never fertalized them as the dirt they are in was pure horse poo and compost from the bin.
the only care we did was pick out runners and shorten the vines so they didnt get too wild

Date Posted: 28 September 2010 at 1:52pm
Photos from last year - they should all be small i have resized them:

Peas and pumpkin plants:

Grapes before they ripened up:

Cucumber (in the greenhouse):

Tomato Plants:
(we had 4 plants last year and got about 15kg of tomatoes off them - i made ALOT of tomato relish and we gave alot away to the neighbour)

Broccolli (the 2nd head that regrew after we removed the original one):

Date Posted: 28 September 2010 at 4:17pm
looking good MT

hmm growing things in pots that might be more my style

Posted By: peachy
Date Posted: 28 September 2010 at 4:51pm
Loving this thread and all the helpful advice ladies!

Even inspired me to dig my own patch today and plant some new veges in it! Had to build a bird cover for it though as we have birds/possums etc galore living semi rural!

Look forward to reading more helpful hints!

-------------

Posted By: HuntersMama
Date Posted: 04 October 2010 at 5:10pm
I just planted some herbs (dill, rosemary, parsley) and lettuce over the weekend. Our vege patch needed an overhual! We still have some silverbeet left over but all the other winter veges or what was let of them came out. I dont have a lot of space so try to plant things that dont spread too much.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 October 2010 at 5:29pm

I got all inspired over the weekend too.  I cleared a whole pile of weeds and gorse and moved a whole pile of soil into my raised bed.  When I have some money I'm going to buy beans, celery (because mine is not looking good - I think it's too old!) and spinach (because I use so much of it).  I have pepper seeds in a tray and one of my pumpkin seeds has sprouted (Yay!).  Next plan is to get some spring onion seeds in too - I've not had much success with them yet but hopefully this time!  Might try potatoes and carrots too.

Oh...does anyone know how to take seeds from broccoli that is going to seed?  I will google it but any tips would be great.  My one plant that wasn't devoured by snails looks like it isn't going to amount to much.

Posted By: SMoody
Date Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:11am
We just planted our yellow and green beans and 3 different kinds of peas. Some silverbeet and spinach in.

So tonight the plan is to get the capsicum and chilli in. We have a huge amount of mesclun that we can start to use. And my tamato plants need to go in the ground as well now. Yum yum salads here we come.

-------------

Posted By: Nothing
Date Posted: 05 October 2010 at 11:27am
We just moved to my auntys and have to start her garden all over again. I left behind my awesome broad beans, they are at chest height! Im the fan of planting anything and everything, if it doesnt grow for the first year I research it more and if it fails after the second year I give up! I have a small hydroponic system for two tomatoes, its is completely manual, no electricity needed, only need to top up water!

Happymumma- feeding citrus in pots is tricky, but we swear by worm juice from our worm farm and DF likes peeing on it too! Just dont let them do it too much as you will get major leaf curl.....which is what we have got!

Anyone got any ideas about how to keep stupid chickens out of the garden? My aunty has lots of them and they get free range of the place, and I dont want them digging up my veges!

-------------

Date Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:40pm

We were very active in our garden on the weekend. I have tomatoes, beans, peas, courgettes, cucumbers, beetroot, eggplant and a few other things in the ground now.

Aethalia, you will need to box the garden in and cover it with chicken wire.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 October 2010 at 1:19pm
Aethalia can you explain your hydroponic system??  I could do with something like that.  I'm hopeless at the watering bit!

Posted By: Nothing
Date Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:46pm
Mummy_becks- Hmmmm I dont think that would work, I want to grow tall stuff like broad beans, Im thinknig I might have to build a tall fence *sigh

Happymumma- Its called Autopot- Its a hydroponic system that uses no electricity. It is quite pricey ($150) and I only got it due to the lovely IRD and a nice tax refund! lol. In short, It comes with two growing trays, and a special valve that lets the water in, the plants use it, then it stays closed for a while before letting more water in. I have just put my two heritage tomatoes in it last week- one beefsteak and one cherry. The link is below to the NZ site.

http://www.bearforest.co.nz/

-------------

Date Posted: 05 October 2010 at 10:41pm

Yeah if you are wanting to grow climbers you will need to fence it off then, but then chickens can find ways of getting in there too. Good luck with that.

-------------

Posted By: DzinerGirl
Date Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:24am
Ohhh I was *just* thinking the other day that OB needed a thread on Vege gardens - YAY!

Originally posted by JoJames JoJames wrote:

Dh has been using egg cartons to raise seedlings, then just planting the whole thing in the ground.

Ohhhh GREAT idea!!!!!

My sister and I attempted to start a vege garden at the beginning of winter (prob not the best time to start I think!??) but rather than sitting down and planning like I wanted to she rushed ahead and just planted willy nilly and then promptly forgot all about it, I tried to keep it going but with a newborn and the crappy weather i didn't suceed very well but now the weather is improving and I know DS's "routine" I plan on getting out and starting again.

What have you found the easiest to grow?

Date Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:32am

I've asked the OhBaby team to consider giving us a separate section for gardening up by the craft and recipes bit.  They are going to consider it at their next meeting.  I figured there are enough of us that it might be good to be able to break up our questions / comments for easier locating.

Dzinergirl I have found that silverbeet and spinach will grow for me anywhere.  In this garden I also find that celery grows easily and had great success with cherry tomatoes last year.  I'm the kind of gardener who does little bits now and then so those were all things that grew without huge input or care from me.

Aethalia hmmmm...that system sounds great but a tad outside my budget at the moment!!  I guess I will just have to stop being lazy and water everything properly!!

Date Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:41am
Originally posted by happymumma happymumma wrote:

I'm the kind of gardener who does little bits now and then so those were all things that grew without huge input or care from me.

My kind of gardner!

I wish I had a green thumb but it stays decidedly pink

Date Posted: 06 October 2010 at 10:50am

Mine is weirdly green at times - and pink at others!  I have some fantastic looking roses and some great veges and then other things just don't seem to grow at all.  Spring onions are my current challenge!

Posted By: Mum_mum
Date Posted: 06 October 2010 at 7:42pm
I have my DH do all this for me but this year being home I might take more of an interest in the weeding side of things to help him out.

DH has just dug up and turned over the garden but we usally plant courgettes, pumpkins, potatoes, silverbeet, beans, corn, onions, garlic, lettuce, brocolli and tomatos in the garden.

We also have gooseberries, strawberries, raspberrys and blueberries... YUM!

DH also thinks that this year he is going to plant the FRONT lawn in corn ..... ermmmmm not so sure on that idea!

-------------
Angel baby - May 2008

Posted By: Kelz
Date Posted: 06 October 2010 at 8:12pm
Hi OHbaby Gardening gurus!

You now have your own section under Fun Stuff (thanks to happymumma)!

This thread has been copied over to there.

Check it out

-------------

Posted By: _SMS_
Date Posted: 06 October 2010 at 8:13pm
Same here Hannahbil DP is normally the gardener, this year though he was taking too long to get his butt into gear so i took over.

We have heaps of seeds so i just put them into punnets, DD was helping and i tipped heaps of lettuce seeds in by accident now we have HEAPS sprouting lol.

I cant wait until our veges are ready. Our apple & peach tree have had heaps of bees hanging around this year so hopefully we get some fruit. Last year we had no peaches, but the year before we had hundreds of them.

We planted our apple tree nearly 2 years ago, does anyone know how long it will take before we start getting apples?

-------------

Posted By: myonlineself
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 4:30pm
We have quite a shady area against the south side of our house - is there likely to be anything edible that will grow in shade?

-------------

Posted By: Plushie
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 5:18pm
Oh! Happy thread!!

I have planted atm corn, potatos, courgettes, butter beans, snow peas, beetroot, radishes (as a thinner) capsicums jalapenos garlic spring onions and strawberries. And a magnificent herb garden :)

Capsicums only grow teeny for me, and i never seem to get the bountiful harvest the pictures of the packets promise me but the one or two i get gives me such joy that i keep going with it. Honestly, everyone plants tomatoes - who grows their own capsicum!!

I'm a newbie to gardening but i tag around my moms garden with her while she imparts her wise words so am happily nursing along all of the above plus some silverbeet that for some reason is planted in the regular garden instead of the designated vege patch.

I grew those novelty giant pumpkins last year - you know, the ones that get to 200kg? They started out with HEAPS of little ones but i only got three giant ones out of it. I was a bit neglectful though - i think they need more love then i suspected.

Posted By: kiwi2
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:18pm
I made raised gardens in an afternoon. Two of them and they are 2.5 by 1.5 m. Now saying I did it all is a bit of an overstatement.

I did the weak female thing. Went into bunnings and said I needed some wood for raised gardens and what do they recommend. They showed me the wood and I said I couldn't fit it in the car (honda odyssey) as they were 4 m long. They said don't worry we can cut them down to fit in so I whipped out my measurements and since they were cutting them anyway got them all cut to the right size. It took two guys over 1/2 an hour with a hand saw. So all I had to do was nail them together.

I have strawberries (have already eaten one huge red one) carrots, spring onions, rocket, radishes, courgettes, broccoli, silver beet, sugar snap peas, tomatoes and will have cucumber and mesculin and butter lettuce put in soon. Also beans as they run up the strings and take little room. I want to put some potatoes in too if there is room.   

The egg carton thing is a great idea. I have been buying the ones in the shop which are the exact same and can't beleive I didn't link that they are the same. I throw out heaps of egg cartons so a great way to recycle.

I also got a small greenhouse for seeds and lettuce for my birthday. The credit card says it came from mitre 10 and was $39. I haven't taken it out of the box yet but I think it will keep a few lettuce leaves going over winter and work well for seeds to take off.

Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:24pm
oops forgot to add scout out markets for cheap seedlings or even the clearance at the warehouse. I have got 6 plants for $1 at the warehouse lots and sometimes they aren't that bad. Might lose 1 sometimes none at all. I do a lot from seed now but some things are just not worth the hassle. I got a six punnet of tomatoes for $1 turns out there were 7 in there and 1 died so I still got 6 for $1.

Posted By: DJ
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:19pm
oooooh yey I'm pleased to see this new thread too!

I'm growing a few veges from seed - the peas, lettuces, carrots and radishes have sprouted, but I'm still waiting for the tomatoes and cucumbers to germinate - could it be a it cold for these in Welly?

I've also got good crops of parsley, chives, rosemary and thyme.

Strawberries are in a big tub, but I'm just getting tiny wee ones atm - they seem to have a pest or two - the aphids seem to be less since I sprayed them with an oil, dishwashing liquid and water conconction that I found the recipe for on a website. Now there is a white frothy spit like bug thing on them too - any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated!

I've found this website quite useful for knowing what to plant when: http://www.gardengrow.co.nz/zones/New%2BZealand%2B-%2Btemperate

ETA - whoever mentioned growing in the shade - I didn't have much luck trying this in our last house, but just had a small vege patch that only got morning sun - still got a few edible strawberries, rocket, spuds. I'm also keen to know what might grow in shade - I've got a big shady patch behind the garage that would be good to fill up with things that take up lots of room...

-------------

Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 8:36pm

Yay for having a gardening section!  Thanks OhBaby!

We might have to start breaking up our topics a bit.  I'm struggling to keep track in one big thread.  Whoever mentioned the egg cartons - great idea!  I'm thinking I'm going to have to ask friends and family to donate theirs if they don't need them.  I haven't had huge amounts of luck growing from seed but am quite keen to perfect it now.

And shade...I'm not sure what veges grow well in shade.  I'm pretty lucky and get decent sun where I am at the moment.

DJ - I think that might be the website I found too.  It looks pretty good.  I keep meaning to print out a wee table of when to plant but so far have been too lazy.

Posted By: KrazeeKaz
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:15pm
Between DF and his father, we grow things like onions, spring onions, radishes, carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, apple cucumbers, sweet corn, gherkins, broccoli, cauliflower, japinese turnips, leeks, beetroot and parsley.

Looking at also doing a few herbs like basil, thyme, mint, chives and rosemary. Still on the mission to find japinese turnip seeds this season, have become a bit hard to find.

DF's father has a poly tunnel which helps to get all the seeds established.

Posted By: Kelz
Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:28pm
Note to self: Do not come back to visit this thread.

I spent way to much money today at the garden centre and way too much time weeding and planting!

Vege garden is done - now just have to find time to plant some pretty flowers for my daughter to pick :)

Thanks for the inspiration!!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 October 2010 at 9:49pm
That website is great. Just enter your email addy and they email what to plant that month.

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by DJ DJ wrote:

Now there is a white frothy spit like bug thing on them too - any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated!

Pyrethrum spray keeps them away I think but I don't know about getting rid of them to start with

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:21pm

My tomotoes I grew from seed are doing very well. I had a few people come around to my place and take a few extras I had left over. The ones I have are growing in the garden now!!

I still have the last of my winer crops about to be ready to pick and then I can turn that all over and start again with some summer veges.

I am waiting on dirt to arrive at my place and we are going to be putting more potatoes in the ground and the next thing I am doing is sprouting kumra to have a go at growing that.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:55pm

Becks, do you just use kumara that you would otherwise eat?  And if so, what do you do with it?  I'd be keen to have a go at kumara as well.  We are starting to eat more and more of it.

Kelz that makes me laugh given that I just went and spent a wee bit more on seeds than I had anticipated!  I just keep thinking that hopefully they will more than pay for themselves with produce.  I'm really keen to reduce spending on fruit and veges until the point at which we are self sustaining from that perspective.

Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 1:03pm
Mmm kumura, I love kumura. I might have to give that a go too...do you need much space for things like potatoes & kumura do you think?

Posted By: Rovic
Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 1:31pm

I have had no luck growing capsicum from seed but I got 4 plants from bunnings last year and they were amazing. I was still getting capsicums in May . I have saved some of the seeds from them and am giving them a go, but not expecting much. Will definitely get more from there this year as well paid for themselves. I also roasted some and put in jars along with garlic. Have had great success with garlic the last 2 years. Bought seedlings this year as was not organised enough to get my own in the garden. Also had great results with shallots last year. Had loads of tomatos too, even though was a supposedly bad year for toms. Have frozen lots and also made roast vege pasta sauce. Love getting the results from my garden, not quite as keen on doing all the work that goes with it .

I get a weekly email from NZ Gardener that has q&A, what to plant, 5 top tasks for the weekend, lots of competitions etc. I find this useful (especially when I win stuff ). You can sign up to it from the website.

-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com">

Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 4:27pm

I thought I had replied to you girls - sorry not sure what happened.

Yep I am using a kumera that I would of eaten, it is currently growing sproats so I can plant them out.

I also get the emails on a Friday (now getting 3 of them) that has lots of info in it.

-------------

Posted By: Rovic
Date Posted: 09 October 2010 at 6:26pm

In terms of good books, Dennis Greville has a couple of good ones that go through heaps of different vege/herbs as well as diseases and fungus that can kill plants and gives you suggestions (both chemical and organic) ways to deal with them. I still refer back to these regularly. They are the ones that I used when starting to garden and found them so easy to follow. Also gives ideas on how to structure garden, crop rotation and companion planting. They weren't too expensive either.

-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com">

Posted By: lil_lease
Date Posted: 10 October 2010 at 1:30am
Last year the flatmate and I were growing tomatoes, lettuce, capsicum (flatmate had great success with growing them from seeds then let them all die!! ), brocolli, cauliflower, spring onions, celery, corn, potatoes, butter beans, carrots, strawberries and some herbs.
The tomatoes were going great until the water restrictions kicked in and we couldn't water them enough. The fruit were splitting something horrible Our flatmate and I were having a competition on who had the best tomatoes and I won lol.
The brocolli were a flop, they would flower really fast and never got a "head" on them. Carrots never really grew to any decent size though they tasted SOOOO yummy and sweet, fresh from the ground.
The celery refused to grow (though I think that's because I accidentally dehydrated the seedlings to the point they almost died before I managed to get them in the ground)
The slugs and snails got all the lettuce lol.

This year I have some fancy lettuce and strawberries in a planter since we dont have a "garden" that I can plant things in. I'm looking at growing things in pots though, but I may be a little too slow in getting started. Might just have to dig over (read: get DF to dig over ) the vege garden at mums and plant some stuff there.

-------------
Antony, gone but never forgotten 2-4-2010

Date Posted: 10 October 2010 at 11:33am
Becks do you chop up the kumara so that there are individual sprouts on each piece and then just chuck them in the garden? 

Date Posted: 10 October 2010 at 5:10pm

Nope at the moment it is sitting on the window sill in the porch growing sprouts and once it has them I am going to read up again and work out what to do. I think you take the sprouts off and plant them but I am going to bucket grow them first time growing.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 October 2010 at 5:51pm
I spent about 2 1/2 hours weeding the vege garden yesterday! That's how bad it had gotten, crazy. And from the stuff we planted earlier in the year all that was left was some spring onions and some awesome pea or bean plants - we think they are peas but can't really remember They even have some pods on them

My legs and arms are sooo sore today though!

Also went to Mitre 10 Mega to get some pricing together so we can work out what we can afford to get at the moment.

What fertilisers, plant food etc do you ladies use/recommend?

Posted By: frangipanigirl
Date Posted: 10 October 2010 at 10:00pm
oh i am so jealous of you all having your vege garden! we are currently renting and not sure how long we staying so i dont really want to go spending all the money if we then move! but last year i really enjoyed my fresh veges!!! will still watch this thread for when my time comes for vege growing!!!

-------------
1st round IVF 7 Eggs, 6 fertilised, 1 transferred with 5 on ice!    

Date Posted: 10 October 2010 at 10:51pm
Have you thought about growing some veges in containers/pots/bags purple24? I think lettuces are supposed to grow quite easily in things like that...

Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 9:25am
DH grew kumaras last year, i had a golden kumara that i had chopped half off to use and the rest i put back in the pantry (and then forgot about it!) the end of it started going off so i gave it to DH to throw out, but instead he put it in the garden lol and it grew sprouts, once they were pretty big he pulled them off and planted them, then put the original kumara back in the garden to sprout again (which it did) and did that another couple of times i think. they took ages to grow but were really yummy and sweet. you have to wait until the plants die down before you harvest them (like potatoes) and apparently they like quite a bit of fertiliser.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2010 at 8:02pm
I've been doing a bit of reading and it sounds like kumara take a really long time to grow and need a lot of space so though I love the idea I might stick with what I've got for this year.  If I end up staying in this house I will plan to grow them next year (along with a whole pile of other things).

Date Posted: 12 October 2010 at 3:01pm
Went to the garden centre the other day with a list and a map of what we think can fit in my mums garden lol and it should come to less than $40, so long as I get my bum into gear and start getting some seeds into seed trays and srout some seedlings They should be ready by the time the garden is. Scoped out the garden on the weekend and was apalled at how many weeds there were so we are probably going to have to spray it with something otherwise I'll be growing weeds rather than plants lol.

I rescued some more of my strawberry plants. I only planted 6 last year and I have twice that now lol. Quite happy with that since I LOVE strawberries.

I also forgot that I bought a raspberry plant and planted it at mums. It didnt do much though and I've rescued it since mums lawnmower person has attacked it and cut off all the tall canes. It's starting to sprout again though, has quite a bit of new growth, though I doubt I'll be getting any fruit off it this year.
You think it would do ok in a large pot on the patio?

-------------

Posted By: Emmecat
Date Posted: 19 October 2010 at 12:47pm

Your rasberry should do ok if its a large pot lil_lease? I would try it anyway.

I've just planted out a capsicum as well as an apple cuccumber, have my tomatoes, lettuces and cauli all waiting for this weekend lol. It's probably still a little early for the tomatoes but meh, I won't be able to physically bend down soon and I want everything in before bubs comes!

I am going to have tomatoes for Africa...I got a bit excited and bought 18 plants..oops. And strawberries! OMG I have about 14 plants in the ground and another 10 or so in tubs...hmmm I shall be making lots of jam hehe. And our Xmas plums will be here about the same time as bubs....eeeekkk I'm gonna be inundated!

Must start a swap-a-thon lol

-------------

Date Posted: 19 October 2010 at 1:16pm

Wow Emmecat you are going to be one buys woman!

I love the idea of being able to swap veges when there is a surplus.  I just don't know huge numbers of people who do a lot of growing and live close by.

Posted By: Emmecat
Date Posted: 21 October 2010 at 7:36am

lol HM....I got carried away, I'm no gardener, just have hopes one day I can be fairly self sufficient (for when peak oil happens hehe).  I plan to do most of the planting this weekend, meant to be nice on Monday so hopefully the seedlings can make it till then.....

Hmmm I have a couple of friends who I swap stuff with...not ness like for like though iykwim? I might give a friend some veges and she'll make Clodagh a nappy or a dress etc. That's the theory anyway! I'd love to organise something that involved more people though!   We have to start finding ways of using 'other' types of currency than cold hard cash IMO....

-------------

Date Posted: 25 October 2010 at 11:00pm
well i had a very productive labour weekend! i have now planted all my veges out into pots after numerous trips to the garden centres, warehouse and such places. We now are awaiting a good crop of Sugar snap peas, carrots, potatos, red onion, spring onion, cucumber x 2, courgette, lots of spinach, capsicum cherry tomato and acid free tomato, and of course strawberries! also planted mint and 2 types of parsley and a rosemary, and some flowers to attract the bees. I feel great about my effort and am so excited to watch them grow!
Hope everyone had a great weekend too!

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2010 at 9:47am

We were very busy over labour weekend as well. everything but my capsicum is now planted out into pots or the ground. Just waiting for the nights to warm up before I plant my capsicum into the ground and the chills can leave the greenhouse.

Still have some more potatoes and lettuce to plant out but we are doing well for everything to take off with the warmer weather.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2010 at 11:00am
I have just about everything in now I think.  I just want to get some celery and spinach seedlings and then I think I'll stop.  I still need to plant my pepper seedlings but they are so tiny that I don't think they'd survive outside just yet.  I'm also still hoping to get some kind of glasshouse type thing rigged up first.

Date Posted: 27 October 2010 at 11:58am
I have just cleared a patch to grow veg it is about 2.5m x 4.5 just need to put up some more of that long grass stuff but will finish tonight as it is too hot

Posted By: SMoody
Date Posted: 27 October 2010 at 1:11pm
We have ordered another cubic metre of soil to put in the raised gardens. So while I study hubby will do that this weekend. ( I am even making him work on his birthday. ;-) ) I started with the next lot of seedlings. Found a place I can buy the punnets and thought I bought too much. Mmmm yeah I have 50 of the 6 punnet ones full of seeds. I have 5 of the 10 punnet ones and have a few in their own pots going.

McKayla has a few punnets with flowers in as she gets highly upset that we go to look at veg and never the plants. So she bought two punnets and now have to germinate her own seeds and look after them.

Will plant my tamatoes out this weekend once soil is in. I must say the worm tea that we have seriously work wonders. You can physically see how the just grow overnight every fortnight we spray the soil with it. I am glad we got that worm farm going. (so will recommend that to anyone.)

-------------

Posted By: shesmiles
Date Posted: 29 October 2010 at 6:15pm
I am a worm farm fan too - and the kumara talk is making me wonder if I should be pulling the sprouting yams out of the worm farm...

We have lettuce, mesclun, spinach, courgettes and the wee round squash, long and apple cucumbers, pepino, cape gooseberry, a variety of herbs, tomatoes, carrots, rhubarb, capsicum, a feijoa hedge and a potted guava that I need to find a home for. I have been unable to grow broccoli very well here (bolts and gets all buggy) or capsicum. Fingers crossed that this is my summer and I get some capsicums

I wish I could grow mushrooms! I see those wee boxes, but the amount we go through..... has anyone tried it?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 October 2010 at 8:58pm

I have a courgette growing!!!!

-------------

Posted By: SquishysMum
Date Posted: 29 October 2010 at 9:08pm
Going to join in here - have been busy the last few weeks in the garden! Got tomatoes, beans, peas, potatoes (some in pot for small, gourmet ones, some greening ready to go in garden), strawberries, mesclun, courgette, cucumber... and still from winter silverbeet, celery, leeks and brocolli (which also hasn't grown well, there's no heads on it yet, and it's been AGES! Oh well, might be time to cull and re-condition the soil).

LOVING having a vege garden, especially salad ingredients. It's great being able to give DH a bowl and say "Go pick a salad for dinner"!

Date Posted: 30 October 2010 at 7:30am
We went to Bunnings yesterday & we got 6 bags of compost. They were $3.55 out the front & when we went to pay for it they went to charge us a dollar extra per bag but we got it for the special price. We went home dropped them off & did a couple of thing then stopped back at Bunnings to get some bark & price the plants we wanted & when we walked pasted the compost they had put the price up, lol, we got some potting mix & strawberry mix & bark.

We have long planter by the house on the patio so have got them ready to plant herbs, we have 2 big pots that the strawberries are going to be planted in & last night I was digging up & turning over the vege patch...got a booboo (blister) so I feel like a gardener, lol. Tonight we are finishing the vege patch & adding in the compost.

We also looked at plants at he warehouse but Bunnings have the best prices so we are going to buy them tomorrow as DH has to work today...yay can't wait to plant

Date Posted: 30 October 2010 at 8:12am
thats exciting jazzy!
the prices are really varied, it really does pay to shop around! i found some warehouses more expensive than others and actually found Kings plant barn to be really well priced and bunnings! i thought mitre 10 and warehouse would be cheaper than garden centres! of course i only found out they were more after i had bought all my plants from them! dammit!!!

-------------

Posted By: shelleybean
Date Posted: 30 October 2010 at 10:49pm
Worm farm - have been qute interested in doing this please anyone with advice please share :)

-------------

Posted By: shesmiles
Date Posted: 30 October 2010 at 11:34pm
There are a few worm farm options shelleybean - including making your own (could be a pile of car tyres on soil). A really affordable option is actually available at the warehouse and is made of recycled plastic - double green thumbs up One of the most expensive elements can be the tiger worms. They are usually available from garden centres/Mitre 10 etc. But if you know someone with a worm farm, a good scoop of their compost and worms will start you off

Link to basic guide: http://resources.ccc.govt.nz/files/AGuideToWormComposting-docs.pdf

-------------

Posted By: shelleybean
Date Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:48am
Thanks will head off now and look at the link - cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 01 November 2010 at 6:37pm

Next exciting thing in my garden the cucumbers are growing their vines!!! and I have flowers on my tomatoes.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:14pm

Becks is there anything I need to know about planting my cucumber?  I've never grown one before.  I'm assuming they need lots of room?

I put my peppers in pots outside today.  Four in total and I've popped another few seeds in to germinate.  I figure it's better to have too many rather than too few, especially as they are an experiment.

My roma tomatoes aren't looking that fabulous.  I'm hoping they survive but I'm not sure they will.

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 8:59am

They vine like Pumpkins so long as they have room to roam they are fine - well mine was the last time I grew it.

-------------

Posted By: KrazeeKaz
Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 9:53am

Another thing you can do with the cucumber plants is only let have a couple of vines out so it concentrates more on producing cucumbers rather than keep growing everywhere.

Most of my garden is in now, so happy it is finally done, just wating for the seeds to start popping through.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 12:05pm
our cucumber plant is 35cm high and we have made it have 3 main vines.
at present it has one little cucumber about 12cm long growing on it, and about 5 flowers that will fruit.

edit:

oh and its growing in a pot in the greenhouse with one of those trellis support things.

ours never get tall or wide, maybe 75cm tall and narrower than our full grown tomato plants. but we got about 15 tele cucumbers off it last year.
this year we brought a 'short' cucumber plant.

And we have two courgette plants and have eaten one, and have 6 to remove and eat.

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 1:32pm
We finished planing last night & DH job is to water them. Waiting Waiting Waiting

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 2:24pm

Right, cucumber is in.  I have no idea what kind it is - the label just says green cucumber!  It will be interesting to see how successful it is.  I have decided I need to get serious about feeding all these plants so will have to go shopping i think.

I'm also quite keen on the worm farm idea.  Might have to save that one for next year though unless I find something around the house that I can convert.

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 2:51pm
I'm so excited. I have seedlings sprouting up everywhere. My sugarsnap peas are almost ready to transplant into a bigger pot and I'll do that once I get a hold of one. My tomatoes have been taking their time and I put a second batch down just in case lol, but now all 6 of the first batch are up and doing so well, little cuties lol. My brocolli are taking off and I have some experimental corn that are doing quite well.

Bought some lettuce seeds the other day to put into a planter for a nice amount for me to graze on lol, because with my current lettuce plants if I grazed like I want to, they would be denuded in about... 10 seconds lol.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 5:13pm
a 'green cucumber' will be what they call short cucumbers in the supermaket.
the normal fat dark green ones rather than the telegraph ones

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 6:19pm

Oh yay!  Thanks Mucky Tiger.  I also hadn't really thought about providing it with anything to climb over so I think I'll deal with that once the kids are in bed.  Plus give all my plants a very thorough water as it's been a beautiful sunny day here today. 

Does anyone have any celery seeds they want to swap for something else?  Or if in Wgtn, celery seedlings?  That's the one thing I don't have in yet and I love celery!  I had about 6 plants last year and my last two are just about ready to be composted.

Date Posted: 02 November 2010 at 9:20pm

I haven't tried celery from seed yet I buy the plants.

I have peas growing now, so excited when things pop up all the time!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 03 November 2010 at 8:09am

I haven't tried celery from seed either - and I'm not the most patient of people so I might just head to Bunnings for a punnet.  Given that they are only about $2 I should stop putting it off.

My spring onions are finally coming through.  For some reason mine have never really grown so fingers crossed that these ones keep going.  I'm also getting my first roses (totally off the fruit and vege garden topic I know!) through.  So exciting - I love this time of year.

Date Posted: 21 November 2010 at 11:33pm
In a month and a half my raspberry has gone from a few little green specks in the dirt and a dry broken stick to a bush! Almost 40cm wide and a little less than that high!
Yeah, I think it's enjoying it's new possie in the tub on the deck. And probably the regular waterings lol.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 November 2010 at 9:12am

Lisa we had that too with our raspberry, DH was going to pull it out and start again but was told to wait and is so glad he did.

Everything seems to be growing very well at the moment due to the warm damp air we have had over the past fwe days. I have put my watermelon into the ground and it is being covered with a cut bottle over nigth when it is cold. I hacked the bottom leaves off all my tomatoes over the weekend and found tomotoes growing on some plants already!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 November 2010 at 6:20pm
I'm going to have to get my seedlings into the ground, the corn has started trying to grow roots through the pebbles that the seedling tray is sitting on and everything else is looking lovely and healthy. Guess that's the plan for the weekend then

Oh, my strawberries are thriving. My neighbour was kind enough to give us a bag of strawberry fertiliser so I'm going to be using that for a little while. All but one are flowering or have little fruit on them already. Goodie goodie!!

-------------

Date Posted: 25 November 2010 at 9:01pm
A couple of my strawberries are starting to get a nice pink tinge to them.  So exciting!

Date Posted: 26 November 2010 at 11:34am

We have had our first strawberry it wsa so nice and really juicy

-------------

Posted By: ereynolds
Date Posted: 26 November 2010 at 7:16pm
I'm so excited- my passionfruit vines are fruiting!! Cant wait till they are ready!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 November 2010 at 7:10pm
That's awesome, I love passionfruit.

Took all my tomato, broccoli and corn seedlings to my mums and planted them all in the vege garden this afternoon. 13 tomato seedlings, 6 broccoli and 4 corn, it's a nice start to the garden if a little late lol.

Fertilised all my strawberries last night. They're all looking lovely and fruitful Flowers and little green berries EVERYWHERE! Better go give them a bit of water before I settle down for the night.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 November 2010 at 7:52pm

mmm...I just ate the first of our strawberries.  DS isn't here to have to share it with!  I can't believe how much better they taste!  I only planted 6 plants - next year I think I will have to put in more.

Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 12:25pm
Last night while watering them I counted how many berries and flowers my strawberries have and some of the plants have 5 while a few of them have 2 and everywhere in between. Nom nom nom!!! Cant wait for them all to ripen up!!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 November 2010 at 7:10pm

My garden has just exploded, I have a 10cm cucumber that was found this morning.

I weeded the garden today and forgot that I have a gap in my shirt at the back and now I have a red patch on my back.

We ate our first lettuce today it was very nice.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 November 2010 at 11:38am
I've been slowly grazing at my lettuces. They're those ones with the individual leaves. They make some seriously yummy marmite and lettuce sammies!
Have to find another pot and plant some more.

I've been wanting to plant a cucumber for a while. I love cucumber! Just have to find a pot and a plant now.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.05 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2022 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net